Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
something stocked in the side of center console door. So, I cannot open in completely. Is there any person how to fix it? It seems that I have to take out the door to check the side part. Thank you
Hood Bumper Door Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
I do not know how you can remove it. Did you put something flat and thin like a letter in there? When you open the lid, lid grab it and jams it down inside and maybe the lid is hitting it. I has this problem with a handicap tag, but the door would open all the way and I finally able to fish it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Candy box is in there. What tool did you use? I used chapstick. But. Not working. Probably, I have to go to Toyota service center.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my wallet stuck in there. Had to go to their service and took 2 hours. They ended up opening the side of console box to get it out. The manager told me it was lots of works. All in all, dont let them try to charge you labor for their design flaw, it is not your fault.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I will ask free service to fix it. Can I say it is manufacture warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I told them not my fault and they had to deal with that. They tried to stick the labor cost on me but I made it clear they should try to find an easy way like use the “claw” tool to fish it out, but that failed. Eventually the service manager got involved, they yielded and brought their technicians to open the console up, at their expense. It is just common sense they should not build the top cover that way since it is prone to slide flat items down there and cause trouble that can be avoided in first place by design.

OK. I will ask free service to fix it. Can I say it is manufacture warranty?

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
I suspect that this problem would not happen if we had not added the tray and thus modified the vehicle.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I suspect that this problem would not happen if we had not added the tray and thus modified the vehicle.
I’m not convinced of that. Seems lots of folks are dropping stuff in there / getting things stuck, and most that have don’t seem to have the tray insert.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
I’m not convinced of that. Seems lots of folks are dropping stuff in there / getting things stuck, and most that have don’t seem to have the tray insert.
My problem occurred after I installed the tray, and the picture of the recent one appears to have the tray. Question to the group: How many have had the problem without a tray?

·
Registered
309 Posts
This problem is not related to the tray. I dropped an insurance card in there the first day we picked up the van. We have since added the tray. Problems exists with or without. Besides, in automotive terms, a drop in tray is not a modification, it’s an accessory.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
This problem is not related to the tray. I dropped an insurance card in there the first day we picked up the van. We have since added the tray. Problems exists with or without. Besides, in automotive terms, a drop in tray is not a modification, it’s an accessory.
Sorry, I thought it was just the tray. I know the tray is a problem because I put my handicap tag in there on top of the tray and when I opened the cover it ate the tag. How did it happen in your case? Was the top open or closed when it happened? I want to make sure I avoid doing it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The ones I've seen were items placed atop a closed center console... then they opened it and the item resting on top slid into the crevice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry, I thought it was just the tray. I know the tray is a problem because I put my handicap tag in there on top of the tray and when I opened the cover it ate the tag. How did it happen in your case? Was the top open or closed when it happened? I want to make sure I avoid doing it.
Sorry as well, because I misunderstood. In my case, I placed the insurance card on top of the console door itself, and when I opened the console door without looking the card slipped down and gone.

I had not considered this happening underneath the console door and on top of the tray. I will keep an eye on that as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to Toyota service center to fix the center console. They said that the issue is not under warranty and going to charge me $450 for disassemble parts. OMG!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Same thing here. But they charge me about 360 for the service charge if there is no damage and if they find a foreign object there. I'm in the impression that a design flaw is not a device malfunction so they won't cover for it. I'll have to deal with it. The price is unreasonable. I might do the disassembly myself in the future.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So I just had to pry my center console open. Returned home from relatives pretty late, house keys on top of the center console. My wife opened the center console door and they slid right into the gap. Locked out of the house at 8:30pm with crying kids, I grabbed two flathead screwdrivers and wedged them down underneath the console door and used a combination of needle nose pliers and a long straightened paper clip to fish them out. There wasn’t enough room to pull them out though so I had to damage the console to get them out. If they attempt to charge me for the repair, I will probably just go buy a Dremel tool and remove the plastic piece that blocks access to the “trap area.” Not happy. A small but really annoying design flaw.

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Trunk Vehicle door

1 - 20 of 35 Posts