Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
For those new to SiennaChat, you must not put anything thin and flat on top of the lid or on a tray inside the well if you opt to buy a tray. When you open the lid, it will eat anything thin and flat in either of these locations. So far, it has eaten a letter, an insurance card, a handicap tag, the keys described above, and probably other unreported items. The keys are the thickest item reported to date. Dealers want big bucks to tear it apart to recover items.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here are pictures of my keys that became stuck. It was terribly unlucky that they stayed flat enough to slide into the gap. At first the door became kind of lodged, but when my wife tried to close and reopen it the keys fell all the way down. I don’t know how the dealership is dissembling the console, but the problem is the combination of the door opening mechanism (internal hinge pivot instead of a hinge on the outer edge of the door) and the black plastic panel that I had to damage because it creates a little compartment that is completely unreachable. If the panel were removed completely the issue would be resolved because whatever fell would just fall into the open storage compartment below. A simple redesign by Toyota to that one piece or some type of delete/cut out option fixes it. At this point I am strongly considering cutting this panel out, because unless the dealership actually fixes it, things will continue to get lodged in there and require force or a trip to the dealership (money) to remove.

In the pictures below you can see it’s a pretty normal key set. The second picture shows the keys in profile next to a fine tip sharpie for reference.
Product Material property Font Symbol Metal

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Silver Automotive design

·
Registered
308 Posts
For those new to SiennaChat, you must not put anything thin and flat on top of the lid or on a tray inside the well if you opt to buy a tray. When you open the lid, it will eat anything thin and flat in either of these locations. So far, it has eaten a letter, an insurance card, a handicap tag, the keys described above, and probably other unreported items. The keys are the thickest item reported to date. Dealers want big bucks to tear it apart to recover items.
The center console is hungry and demanding sacrifices. I couldn’t help but feel like I was prying its jaws open to pull my keys out of its throat.

Humor is my coping mechanism.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I just had to pry my center console open. Returned home from relatives pretty late, house keys on top of the center console. My wife opened the center console door and they slid right into the gap. Locked out of the house at 8:30pm with crying kids, I grabbed two flathead screwdrivers and wedged them down underneath the console door and used a combination of needle nose pliers and a long straightened paper clip to fish them out. There wasn’t enough room to pull them out though so I had to damage the console to get them out. If they attempt to charge me for the repair, I will probably just go buy a Dremel tool and remove the plastic piece that blocks access to the “trap area.” Not happy. A small but really annoying design flaw.

View attachment 52740
Wow. Thats a bummer. I had to take off the armrest and the panel from on the front passenger side, then had to remove the panel that goes to the AC vent and 120 v plug on the rear of the center console, and that wasn't even enough to get everything apart. Its too tight because the front seat is blocking the access to the other screw. Spent maybe 90 minutes to take it apart and put them back without solving the issue.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
728 Posts
I can't top the Icebreakers, but add 3 credit card size badges in plastic covers on the lanyard to the list. Tricky part for me was that the round retrctable string spindle also went in with it. I had the other end of string so that's what I used to fish it out. I was really lucky it came out with a few wiggles and some patience. I had been warned about it here so I tried to be very gentle, but was praying + cursing at the same time ;).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow. Thats a bummer. I had to take off the armrest and the panel from on the front passenger side, then had to remove the panel that goes to the AC vent and 120 v plug on the rear of the center console, and that wasn't even enough to get everything apart. Its too tight because the front seat is blocking the access to the other screw. Spent maybe 90 minutes to take it apart and put them back without solving the issue.
I’ve decided that I’m going to cut out the small plastic panel that is creating the issue. Just have to find the time and the right tools.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes. I believe that they removed passenger seat.
I hope removing the front seats are easy. It will be one of my projects. No rush though but its really frustrating how Toyota did not put a workaround for this, like a door inside where you can just open then remove the objects that got stuck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I hope removing the front seats are easy. It will be one of my projects. No rush though but its really frustrating how Toyota did not put a workaround for this, like a door inside where you can just open then remove the objects that got stuck.
Record your work and upload it to youtube.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
So I just had to pry my center console open. Returned home from relatives pretty late, house keys on top of the center console. My wife opened the center console door and they slid right into the gap. Locked out of the house at 8:30pm with crying kids, I grabbed two flathead screwdrivers and wedged them down underneath the console door and used a combination of needle nose pliers and a long straightened paper clip to fish them out. There wasn’t enough room to pull them out though so I had to damage the console to get them out. If they attempt to charge me for the repair, I will probably just go buy a Dremel tool and remove the plastic piece that blocks access to the “trap area.” Not happy. A small but really annoying design flaw.

View attachment 52740
All they had to do is to design this compartment as a "sleeve" without the bottom, not a "pocket". This way whatever the door swallows would fall into the main well, and all would be well.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts