Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Absent a laser, melting directly isn’t gonna be a super approach. Best to have a high rpm small radius cutting disc on a Dremmel type tool. It will melt via friction as it cuts. Hard part is fitting the tool into the opening and guiding it straight for a clean quality cut.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Anybody use a grabit, flexible spring loaded tool to fish out something. I have a flexible bore scope I put on my phone. Maybe with lighted eyes and a grabit, a successful retrieval might be possible. When I lose something , I will give it a try. I guess it depends on how big the item needing retrieved is.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Does anybody know if the inner liner at the bottom of the cubby sits flush on the floor or whether there is a gap under there whether a drill hole saw could make a clean cut on the bottom.

Also I wonder if a close quarter 90 degree angle drill and a round hole saw with a fine tooth used for door locks would make a decent opening that could be left open or patched later made in the inner side. I suspect a round hole might be as good as a not so square opening. Harbor freight has cheap compact close quarter 90 drills.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anybody know if the inner liner at the bottom of the cubby sits flush on the floor or whether there is a gap under there whether a drill hole saw could make a clean cut on the bottom.

Also I wonder if a close quarter 90 degree angle drill and a round hole saw with a fine tooth used for door locks would make a decent opening that could be left open or patched later made in the inner side. I suspect a round hole might be as good as a not so square opening. Harbor freight has cheap compact close quarter 90 drills.

Use a hard shell mouse pad. Fold the mouse into small sections and wedge it into the door opening as you move the door. The key is to have the mouse pad force the item stuck out as you push the door to full open position. I have done this many times to retrieve my work badge, credit cards, and bills. Works everytime. No need to destroy the console...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Use a hard shell mouse pad. Fold the mouse into small sections and wedge it into the door opening as you move the door. The key is to have the mouse pad force the item stuck out as you push the door to full open position. I have done this many times to retrieve my work badge, credit cards, and bills. Works everytime. No need to destroy the console...
Not sure how you are folding it. Pic? Or video of process.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drew a diagram showing how i retrieve stuff and the plastic mouse pad. I'll take a picture of the van later.
Slowy wedge the plastic mouse pad in as you move the door to full open position. You want the plastic mouse pad to be between the door as it open fully and the item you're trying to get out.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Slowy wedge the plastic mouse pad in as you move the door to full open position. You want the plastic mouse pad to be between the door as it open fully and the item you're trying to get out.
Forgot to add that once you are able to have to stuck door in its full open position and you remove the mouse pad to fish out the item. Sometimes you have to use a bit of force on the door.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hmm, have to find an alternative for that mouse pad since I dont have any. Tried a paper folder but it doesn't work. I'll try again with a face shield.

Update: Face shield is too floppy to push anything out.

I think I dropped a pen in there but I can't really tell for sure unless I retrieve it since I've had this problem for more than 6 months

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum
64 Posts
Happened to me today. A pack of gum dropped in there from the tray. I was able tod disassamble the console a bit and get it out. Took me about 1 hour to work my way in, fished things out from a tight opening towards the rear, and put everything back. I used a right angle bit adapter to get to a few screws and only broke two little minor hook that I didn't notice.
To prevent this. I used packaging tape to make a small flap on that side of the tray which will block the gap when the lid is open, this should prevent any future incidents. I will probably find some more rigid material like rubber sheet to replace packaging tape, or 3d print one with TPU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
something stocked in the side of center console door. So, I cannot open in completely. Is there any person how to fix it? It seems that I have to take out the door to check the side part. Thank you View attachment 52473
mine has been stuck since owning only two or three months, went to three dealers this week and all wanted to charge me between $90-$250 to fix a design flaw, they said I could contact Toyota headquarters and make a complaint and ask them to pre approve my repair....

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,102 Posts
A question for those who had to break the inside of the console.

The top drawer cover slides in to a compartment on the passenger side. It is inaccessible and hides the caprured bounty. Is this compartment fully contained inside the center console, kind of like a box within box? If so, may be the two sides of this comparment that face center console cavity can be cut out? This way, anything that slides in with the door will fall in the center console? It looks like the sides are relatively thick and not the easiest to reach with a drimmel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A question for those who had to break the inside of the console.

The top drawer cover slides in to a compartment on the passenger side. It is inaccessible and hides the caprured bounty. Is this compartment fully contained inside the center console, kind of like a box within box? If so, may be the two sides of this comparment that face center console cavity can be cut out? This way, anything that slides in with the door will fall in the center console? It looks like the sides are relatively thick and not the easiest to reach with a drimmel.
I haven't made any mods yet, but looking in the center console itself, there is indeed a small rectangular box there. I'm tempted to melt the bottom part of it with a soldering rod for a permanent fix so that the things that gets trapped in there would just slide inside the glove compartment

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,102 Posts
I haven't made any mods yet, but looking in the center console itself, there is indeed a small rectangular box there. I'm tempted to melt the bottom part of it with a soldering rod for a permanent fix so that the things that gets trapped in there would just slide inside the glove compartment
I went back to the beginning of this thread. It has all the info about what I asked earlier. My bad!

Just to reiterate, looks like the side (not the bottom) of this box-within-box needs cut open. The other side is curved, like a half apple. Some tools are also mentioned (and suggestions to stay away from melting.)

This post has the pictures that shows half-apple-within-box.

Posts #19, #47, #49 & #57 are very helpful too among many others.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts