Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Handicapped tag fell into mine. Dealership charged me. Literally no other way for me to independently solve the problem. Very disappointed in Toyota not willing to reimburse. Keep calling so this continues to be documented.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does anybody know if the inner liner at the bottom of the cubby sits flush on the floor or whether there is a gap under there whether a drill hole saw could make a clean cut on the bottom.

From feeling around, it seems like there is a fairly sizable space between the bottom of the door cage and the bottom of the cubby. In the next few weeks, I will be attempting to disassemble mine to see what, if anything can be done.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok so I decided to tackle this on my own. It was actually not that difficult and the hardest part was trying to figure out which screws to remove. It took me about 25min to remove the box and less than 15min to put it back in. Also I decided to modify and dremel the box so it will not happen again. Here are some photos of what was needed to be done. Most important is that you will need a mini ratchet driver to reach in the tight spaces.

You do not need to remove any seats, you just need to recline both seats all the way down and back. The nice part is half of the removal was easily done because Toyota uses clips that just pull off. Example arm rests, cup holders, side of cup holders and rear panel (HDMI, USB, rear cup holders) all snap off. The hardest part was the side screws where you had to reach down to remove. There are 2 hidden ones on each side which you will have to feel for and need the mini ratchet for. If the box is not lifting up, then you are missing a screw. Once all screws are out it should easily slide up.

I haven't quite decided on how to keep the panel on. Either I will install a different piece of plastic which will be removeable or I could just easily duct tape it on or leave it off.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Tire

Rectangle Gadget Tints and shades Electronic device Flooring
Rectangle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

White Rectangle Line Font Sharing

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does anybody know if the inner liner at the bottom of the cubby sits flush on the floor or whether there is a gap under there whether a drill hole saw could make a clean cut on the bottom.

Also I wonder if a close quarter 90 degree angle drill and a round hole saw with a fine tooth used for door locks would make a decent opening that could be left open or patched later made in the inner side. I suspect a round hole might be as good as a not so square opening. Harbor freight has cheap compact close quarter 90 drills.

The bottom is a false bottom. I didn't take a great picture of it but I attached a photo to give you an idea. If you wanted to dremel and not remove the entire box then you can do so, but will need to cut about an inch or so above the bottom. In my opinion the hardest part would be cutting the vertical lines. I had to use a mini hand saw due to the angle you cannot get a dremel in. Unless you had a dremel attachment or use some type of angle cutter like a multi-tool. You might end up cutting into the bottom of the lid, however you would never see those cuts. Honestly it is easier just to remove the whole box out and cut it when it is outside.

Keep in mind the first photo there is actually a cover that goes on top of this. I forgot to take a picture of the cover. This cerates an enclosure for the lid when it is open. I'll attach full size images.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Harbor Freight or Home Depot
I already have a dremel tool. Might get the mini ratchet through amazon though. This will definitely be one of my projects in the next few weeks. Admin, if you are reading this, you might consider this solution to be stickied! You are a super star @Velox003

By the way, if you would have to do it again, would you rather have the cut portion shorter to be aligned where the slope ends? or would you rather keep the same as you did?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I already have a dremel tool. Might get the mini ratchet through amazon though. This will definitely be one of my projects in the next few weeks. Admin, if you are reading this, you might consider this solution to be stickied! You are a super star @Velox003
Yea I didn't want to create a new thread for this because this was ongoing. I wish I could have done a "how to" but I had to watch my 2 little kids who were in the back seats watching a movie. :LOL: Any questions let me know but it was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Reposting this as you might have missed my edit.

By the way, if you would have to do it again, would you rather have the cut portion shorter to be aligned where the slope ends? or would you rather keep the same as you did?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Reposting this as you might have missed my edit.

Good question, I mainly cut it this way to maintain rigidity to the box. However I think you could cut it all the way down. The plastic is quite stiff so I don't see any harm cutting it further. I just got lazy and wanted to reinstall it.

Also I kept the sides wider thinking I will install a new plastic wall and velcro it somehow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good question, I mainly cut it this way to maintain rigidity to the box. However I think you could cut it all the way down. The plastic is quite stiff so I don't see any harm cutting it further. I just got lazy and wanted to reinstall it.

Also I kept the sides wider thinking I will install a new plastic wall and velcro it somehow.
Got it. I might do it the same as how you did it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry I meant, did you cut the plastic while it was mounted on the car?
No it was way easier to cut it when it was removed. My lid was stuck halfway so it was impossible to get anything in there to cut it. Removing the box sounds and looks difficult, but it really is not that hard. Finding the right screws to remove and getting access to them was the hardest part. Shouldn't take you more than 30min.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No it was way easier to cut it when it was removed. My lid was stuck halfway so it was impossible to get anything in there to cut it. Removing the box sounds and looks difficult, but it really is not that hard. Finding the right screws to remove and getting access to them was the hardest part. Shouldn't take you more than 30min.
Thanks. Sorry but I still have one last question (hopefully), and might be a silly question but are you able to take it apart without touching the driver side? or do you have to undo the screws and clips on the driver side as well?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks. Sorry but I still have one last question (hopefully), and might be a silly question but are you able to take it apart without touching the driver side? or do you have to undo the screws and clips on the driver side as well?
Unfortunately in order to fully remove it both sides have to come out because there are screws in the side holding the box down. It really is not too hard to do. Just finding the screws and reaching in with the micro ratchet is the hard part.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts