Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a used 2013 Sienna and only have 3 places to charge devices. Two are upfront and the third is in the trunk! None in our 2nd and 3rd rows.

I want to wire/create USB ports in middle seat and back seat areas.

Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
There are numerous past threads about adding USB ports that you can find by doing an advanced search on the term "USB". There's a dead link in one of the threads to an MIT kit on eBay designed for the Sienna. Here is a link to it that it works for now but it might not work for long: MIT TOYOTA SIENNA 2x Dual USB port phone charger 2.1A Power Adapter+switch 11-17 | eBay

Or you could just buy several 2-port 12V USB adapters for your three outlets and some long charging cords. If your Sienna has household type electrical outlets like mine does you could also plug in a multiport USB adapter into one of those. Here's a photo of the 6-port Anker USB adapter that I've used in my 2014 Sienna Limited.

Anker PowerPort 6 - small image.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are numerous past threads about adding USB ports that you can find by doing an advanced search on the term "USB". There's a dead link in one of the threads to an MIT kit on eBay designed for the Sienna. Here is a link to it that it works for now but it might not work for long: MIT TOYOTA SIENNA 2x Dual USB port phone charger 2.1A Power Adapter+switch 11-17 | eBay

Or you could just buy several 2-port 12V USB adapters for your three outlets and some long charging cords. If your Sienna has household type electrical outlets like mine does you could also plug in a multiport USB adapter into one of those. Here's a photo of the 6-port Anker USB adapter that I've used in my 2014 Sienna Limited.

View attachment 46565
Thanks. I read some of these, but I don't want to use the 3 outlets I currently have. I'm interested in wiring 1-2 new wires and run them under the floor and up the side wall panel. There seems to be a couple places on the panels where USBs can be installed. I am hoping someone has done something similar.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Thanks. I read some of these, but I don't want to use the 3 outlets I currently have. I'm interested in wiring 1-2 new wires and run them under the floor and up the side wall panel. There seems to be a couple places on the panels where USBs can be installed. I am hoping someone has done something similar.
Go pull out one of the 3rd row cup holders with an appropriate non-scarring trim removal tool if that's in the area where you want to install your additional ports. I just now did it on my 2014 for fun since I had never done it before and was curious - it took about 60 seconds. Carefully align the tabs on the cup holder module when you pop it back into place so you don't break them - mine took fiddling. It will snap into place and doesn't have to be forced.

I kind of like the location for extra USB ports shown in the MIT photos. The little removable panels are probably cheap if one wanted to remove the outlets and the location is fairly accessible from both the 2nd and 3rd rows. It would be especially easy to run the power wires under the door thresholds and behind the kick panels since they are easily removed and even through the firewall if you want to power additional outlets from the car battery instead of messing with a fuse box.

Negatives of the MIT outlet location might be impeding access to the 3rd row and interfering with 2nd row seat belts on Siennas that have the seat belts anchored nearby ... that wouldn't be an issue on Sienna that have their 2nd row seat belts entirely contained in the captain's chairs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts