Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sienna Gen 1community! I go through a CEL once a year, replace a CO2 sensor and the CEL goes off. I think there's two Oxygen Sensor in the engine cab, and possibly 2 underneath, near the cat (one before and one behind - not sure of one behind) I always do the replacement myself in order to not go broke having a shop do it. "Bank 1 Sensor 1, Bank 1 Sensor 2" and "Bank 2 Sensor 1, Bank 2 Sensor 2" I believe is what I am dealing with. The Oxygen Sensors I have replaced in the past are the one right in front of the engine (the easiest) and the Oxygen Sensor underneath the van, the one before (?) the cat. For this Oxygen Sensor the passenger seat must be removed in order to disconnect it. I guess I could just begin by replacing the Oxygen Sensors one at a time and see if the CEL goes away, but I'd like some expert feedback on what my OBD2 Scanner is detecting this time.

I'm driving a 2002 Sienna XLE, 6 cylinders, 3.0L which drives great!

Parts Geek, Rock Auto, Car Parts, are they all more or less the same? I understand OEM parts vs Cheapo parts (Walker aftermarket e.g.) makes a difference (100s vs $40), but keep in mind, the CEL happens once a year. I know that if I used OEM parts the CEL might not happen annually. But what if it still does? This is a real conundrum that I know many of us face.

Thank you so very much!
Fluid Gadget Communication Device Finger Portable communications device

Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device Gadget Audio equipment

Communication Device Plant Bicycle accessory Portable communications device Gadget
Product Gadget Material property Font Gas
Gadget Gas Display device Communication Device Electronic device
Gadget Gas Display device Font Multimedia
Gadget Finger Communication Device Fluid Material property
Gadget Measuring instrument Font Gas Electronic device
Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device Gadget Audio equipment
Gadget Communication Device Font Material property Recreation
Fluid Gadget Communication Device Finger Portable communications device
Communication Device Plant Bicycle accessory Portable communications device Gadget

Gadget Gas Display device Communication Device Electronic device

Gadget Finger Communication Device Fluid Material property

Gadget Gas Display device Font Multimedia

Gadget Communication Device Font Material property Recreation

Gadget Measuring instrument Font Gas Electronic device

Product Gadget Material property Font Gas

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
255 Posts
I'm no expert on this but if you do a quick search on those codes you will see those have nothing to do with the 02 sensors but are canister related instead. So if you are changing your 02's based on those codes you probably wont fix it.
See above your thread right at the top of the page where it says "Search Community"? Just type in any one of your codes and read through some of the existing threads on this site and see if they help you. The only crappy part is half the time the threads are dead end because people come on with a problem but dont come back to say how they fixed it, but at least this is a good start.

Like this:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Therbi, thanks for the reply! Yes, I've done as you suggested (have been Googling all of it for years) I even once considered replacing "the canister" which I read about or zeroed in on my own (big job under the van with the potential for a tortuous mechanical rabbit hole!) It's all oxygen sensors and other stuff under the hood motif nowadays (it happens annually. As I've said, I've been at this for years! Same with the previous owner, btw). Even the guys at the inspection place put the big machine on the Sienna and said, "oxygen sensors" in tandem. So do the Autozone guys and the O'Reilly's guys. Anyway, I've researched the codes PO4XX, et. al. and I always seems come back to the oxygen sensors. The (scant) proof is the exact same scanner readings I posted (the same every year), Oxygen Sensors replace, and bye bye CEL. It's frustrating. Any more input, y'all, I'm listening.

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
255 Posts
Like I said, I'm not an expert on this and dont claim to be, I just know that searching those codes comes up as canister related, not 02 sensors. Not saying you dont have an 02 sensor problem, but it does seem really odd you're changing them out once a year. From what I have read, yes, they are a wear item and need to be replaced when they're warn out, but that should be like 60 to 100k miles I believe.
I can tell you I have installed and removed lots of canisters and its honestly not that hard. Again, maybe you dont need to do that, but its not a difficult job at all, that much I know.
Hopefully someone else chimes in who can help guide you in the right direction on this.
Post back how you make out. At the very least you might end up helping someone else down the road with the same issue as yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Therbi! I reconsidered everything you wrote and may give a canister replacement a try. I nearly did a while back but got discouraged when I read the many stories on the difficulty in removing the protective cover (soaking rusted, hopelessly stuck bolts with PB Blaster and all the rest), as well as the cost of the canister which can really vary (high/low - OEM vs eBay). I might just pay my shade tree mechanic down the street to do it. Any thoughts on the Vapor Canister Purge Valve Solenoid as the culprit? (https://www.amazon.com/Amrxuts-Cani...hy=9028279&hvtargid=pla-1462350166681&psc=1)?

Thanks, will update if I take the canister plunge :) Max

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
255 Posts
If you live in the rust belt, yes, those bolts could be a bastard to remove. That being said, pretty sure the ones on the canister itself have a rust resistant coating so they might not be bad, but not sure about the ones on the cover.

At that price for the solenoid, definitely cheaper than a new canister thats for sure and maybe worth a shot, but you definitely dont want to fire the parts cannon at it if stuff starts getting expensive.
I think it was on a Tundra site where I read a thread about canister testing. Basically anyone with a techstream can do a purge test on the entire system and know exactly which part is not working properly so you know what needs replacing. The problem there is can you get anyone in your area to run such a test and without charging you a ton.

·
Registered
970 Posts
They are 2 different systems (O2 and EVAP) so I dont see the relation. I dont think it is the 1 valve in question as you have a purge code also.

Canisters in the past have been a issue and replacing them resolved the problem. Due to age ETC. A smoke test would be a good thing to do.

Good luck. I knew a couple people with a Gen1 but I have never had one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts