Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just bought a 2005 Sienna XLE AWD. The issue I am having is the Check Engine light is on and the VSC light is on. When these lights are on, it will not shift into 5th gear, just remains in 4th gear. Also seems as if it will shift from 1st gear to 3rd gear on take off periodically.

If I erase the codes with an OBDII reader, everything is fine and shifts like it should. Will continue to run and shift good until the lights come back on, usually the next morning.

P0333 and P0453

I am stumped on this one.

·
Registered
439 Posts
P0333 is knock sensor. Engine will run on reduced power. I don’t know if that’s enough to disable VSC and put transmission in limp mode. Replacing the knock sensor and harness is a big job but I don’t think there’s a way around it.

P0453 is evap system. Shouldn’t affect drivability.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 203K miles

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Common issue is a coolant leak in the valley. Coolant gets into the knock sensor and set the code. When the code comes on it starts in second. Funking shift stuff and does not go into overdrive. I have been down that road. I think there is a couple threads on it if you search.
The coolant thing is common. Rodent damage is also common. Mice this time of year are making things difficult.

My money is on the coolant leak.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I just responded to your other thread, but, for completeness sake, DON'T clear the codes, unless/until you have a reasonable expectation that work performed has resolved the issue. Otherwise, you're making it harder for the next guy (the one you pay) to fix the issue.

Have you had any service done on the van and/or any maintenance records indicating recent service?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts