Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Checking Tranny Fluid '04

20K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  eluo 
I have tons of trouble getting a good reading. Everytime I put the dipstick in and pull it out, there is fluid way over the correct level like it's picking it up from residue in the dipstick tube. Anyone know a good way to get a good reading? I've already tried putting it in different directions but the stick only seems to go down all the way in one particular orientation.

Let's just say if the dipstick was accurate, I think something would be broken because the fluid is like 6 inches over the hot mark. And it's more of a smear all over so there is no actual level you could say is the right reading.

You're supposed to read it while the engine is running right?

I didn't do it, the transmission shop did it about a year ago. I'd hope a transmission shop knows not to overfill. Do you imagine the engine off checking would lead to a lower or higher level? I tried checking it with the engine off after 10 minutes and it was still this high smear. It seems the dipstick only goes in one way, every other angle I try to put it in results in it being blocked at some point of trying to put it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.