Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also we are looking for a bigger car for long drives during holidays. We are looking to buy bigger vehicle as a 2nd car.
This should push you to the Sienna. Our family goes camping and the rear seats down allows a ton of space for gear. Also if you plan long road trips with more people there is still a lot of space.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my opinion, you either go full size SUV or you don't. All crossover SUVs are useless, both in seating capacity and functional space.

The Sienna is great for those who need space and functionality. It definitely handles more like a sedan, and has functional cargo space and seats 7 comfortably.

Everyone knows the capabilities of the Sienna.

Crossover SUVs just try too hard to be everything and fail at it. Need to go offroad? Not as capable as a good body on frame SUV. Need to transport passengers? Everyone in the back will complain about being cramped. Want crappy overall road handling? Get a crossover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was looking at a Telluride before settling on the Sienna. The sliding doors and the overall room inside is incredible, on par with a full-size SUV.

Also, when it comes to the third row in crossovers, besides it being cramped, there is very little room behind the passengers there, which is a safety issue. I saw kids in the third row of a Highlander and their heads were way too close to the rear window, so it was a no go for me. I would worry about being rear-ended.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
In my opinion, you either go full size SUV or you don't. All crossover SUVs are useless, both in seating capacity and functional space.

The Sienna is great for those who need space and functionality. It definitely handles more like a sedan, and has functional cargo space and seats 7 comfortably.

Everyone knows the capabilities of the Sienna.

Crossover SUVs just try too hard to be everything and fail at it. Need to go offroad? Not as capable as a good body on frame SUV. Need to transport passengers? Everyone in the back will complain about being cramped. Want crappy overall road handling? Get a crossover.
I don't think crossovers were ever intended to emulate-, or compete with trucks, all-terrain SUV's, or minivans (well, actually, nothing can compete with minivans :geek:)

Instead, they are a replacement for sedans. When you move for example from an Avalon to a Highlander that rides on the same platform and has the same footprint, you get (1) much more versatile space, (2) two extra seats, (3) visibly larger ground clearance and (4) a higher driving position.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I was looking at a Telluride before settling on the Sienna. The sliding doors and the overall room inside is incredible, on par with a full-size SUV.

Also, when it comes to the third row in crossovers, besides it being cramped, there is very little room behind the passengers there, which is a safety issue. I saw kids in the third row of a Highlander and their heads were way too close to the rear window, so it was a no go for me. I would worry about being rear-ended.
I also noticed this with highlander. When reclined, head goes all the way to end of the vehicle. It is little better in Telluride. You are spot on with the safey issue when read-ended.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will only add that the Sienna's front overhang is pretty low, I've already scraped it a few times. Not a problem with the Highlander, probably. And you have to be super careful parking as to not scrape the plastic wheel covers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think crossovers were ever intended to emulate-, or compete with trucks, all-terrain SUV's, or minivans (well, actually, nothing can compete with minivans :geek:)

Instead, they are a replacement for sedans. When you move for example from an Avalon to a Highlander that rides on the same platform and has the same footprint, you get (1) much more versatile space, (2) two extra seats, (3) visibly larger ground clearance and (4) a higher driving position.
I'd argue that Sedans are still the better choice. Handling and fuel economy are still inferior to a sedan. 2 extra seats don't belong in a crossover that size. 2 adults sitting in the back of a highlander can't get anymore claustrophobic.

I just see crossovers as vehicles with an identity crisis that can't be solved. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Choosing a highlander or suv over the Seinna or Minivan is nothing more then society image fashionable outlook drama.... Any person with logical mind would choose the Minivan over the SUV or highlander.... Its the Macgyver of cars...use for everything....logic states... it has more room, cost almost same as suv, can use it as a people mover, cargo mover, sleeper camping van and the MPG is almost same as SUV..... Men and women who are so worried about how they are being looked on by the outside society as somehow weak man or called soccer mom if you own a van or drive a van....Thus people who lives a life dictated by how he cares about what outside people society thinks about him is totally very insecure and only living life according to society vision and not living with their own means and their needs.

SUV is perceived as manly Manly or more cool then being called a soccer mom if driving a minivan... Even house moms preferred the suv, simply because they don't want to be perceived as a soccer mom, old and not fashionable or attractive.... I know moms at work who drive the SUV,,,simply as being more cool...even put on sunglasses like they are still on the runway feeling they are still hot...looking for male attention... No wonder they are divorced single moms...

yes...suv is nothing more then a higher perch good sedan.... crazy how image perception is more important then logics....

Now...if you buy a SUV...then atleast buy a real one like the toyota 4runner 4wd tricked out to go over camping, dirt, rock climbing.... not the flat asphalt freeway to work, malls or to starbucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Checked out reviews for Sienna and Highlander. Alex on auto mentioned that, Sienna actually drives composed and handles better than Highlander due to its low center of gravity. One reason to buy Highlander is for high ground clearance to drive on rough roads. Highlander and Telluride have 8" of ground clearance. Sienna also have decent ground clearance of 6.4" among competition. Odyssey has 4.5" of ground clearance only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Choosing a highlander or suv over the Seinna or Minivan is nothing more then society image fashionable outlook drama.... Any person with logical mind would choose the Minivan over the SUV or highlander.... Its the Macgyver of cars...use for everything....logic states... it has more room, cost almost same as suv, can use it as a people mover, cargo mover, sleeper camping van and the MPG is almost same as SUV..... Men and women who are so worried about how they are being looked on by the outside society as somehow weak man or called soccer mom if you own a van or drive a van....Thus people who lives a life dictated by how he cares about what outside people society thinks about him is totally very insecure and only living life according to society vision and not living with their own means and their needs.

SUV is perceived as manly Manly or more cool then being called a soccer mom if driving a minivan... Even house moms preferred the suv, simply because they don't want to be perceived as a soccer mom, old and not fashionable or attractive.... I know moms at work who drive the SUV,,,simply as being more cool...even put on sunglasses like they are still on the runway feeling they are still hot...looking for male attention... No wonder they are divorced single moms...

yes...suv is nothing more then a higher perch good sedan.... crazy how image perception is more important then logics....

Now...if you buy a SUV...then atleast buy a real one like the toyota 4runner 4wd tricked out to go over camping, dirt, rock climbing.... not the flat asphalt freeway to work, malls or to starbucks.
Completely agree. I noticed a couple of months ago that about the only difference in in appearance of Seinna an Highlander is sliding doors. I see what I think is a Seinna only to realize it the passenger doors swing open.
But then again I've always been a van guy. I've had a van of some kind since I was 19 in 79.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We originally wanted the Highlander Hybrid but upon test driving a Sienna the dealer was kind enough to let me drive it home. My 2 kids (2 and 4) loved the sliding doors and so did we. The Sienna is probably a lot more space then we need with just 2 kids but who doesn't like having more space right?
Same!

We have two kids and use every inch of our van. When our Odyssey went out, we needed a new vehicle. I wanted something with more ground clearance so we were looking at the Highlander. We opened the back of the 2021 Highlander on the dealer lot, and my wife and I at the exact same time said, nope. The cargo room in a minivan is far superior. Plus, I joke, people are fools opening their own doors when you have ones that slide.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts