Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Chrysler's website is the number "880" with a clock counting down to Monday, which is the first day of the North American International auto show.

Chrysler has previously announced that a new minivan will be revealed at this show, and hinted at AWD, and plug-in hybrid versions.

The first "8" has a total of seven people plus one in a bassinet, so the new van will likely be eight passenger. The first 8 also is blue and a gas pump and hose.

The "80" is green and are electrical cords. Rumor has it that this is the electric only range for the plug-in version.

With our 2008 Sienna due for replacement, I have been watching the minivan news closely. Honda has also hinted that their new van will come in the second half of this year. So, it is possible that the Honda van could also be revealed next week...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Links to the new Chrysler Pacifica (which is the new name of the Town and Country) have been posted on the Facebook Vankulture group. Its definitely inspired by the swoopy design of the Chrysler 200, and the top of the line model looks like its got a ton of tech it in.

That said, Chrysler has a long way to go if it wants to compete with the Asian minivans. The build quality and their deserved reputation of poor of reliability, will need to be addressed in a big way.

I suspect it'll be more of the same old same old - base van starting at $20k, very limited demand of the top of the line, much of the sales going to fleet. Status quo for the minivan world doesn't change.

·
Registered
233 Posts
880?

Number of recalls in the first year of sales?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Links to the new Chrysler Pacifica (which is the new name of the Town and Country) have been posted on the Facebook Vankulture group. Its definitely inspired by the swoopy design of the Chrysler 200, and the top of the line model looks like its got a ton of tech it in.

That said, Chrysler has a long way to go if it wants to compete with the Asian minivans. The build quality and their deserved reputation of poor of reliability, will need to be addressed in a big way.

I suspect it'll be more of the same old same old - base van starting at $20k, very limited demand of the top of the line, much of the sales going to fleet. Status quo for the minivan world doesn't change.
I am not sure what Toyota quality you are talking about. I purchased my 2008 Sienna at 1 year old with 14K miles. Since then I have done the following repairs:

- Fuel pump at 60K miles: the second vehicle that I needed to be towed home, the other was my Dodge pickup.

- Windshield washer pump: seriously, I didn't think these could go bad...

- Wheel bearings: three so far and counting...

- Tires every 40K miles, even though I get the highest mileage ones.

- Battery every three years: all my other vehicles can get over 8 years to a battery.

- Brakes every 40K miles. Good thing I bought the lifetime pads from Autozone.

- The serpentine belt pulleys have been replaced twice, and the tensioner once. The van is making noises again, so I need to replace another.

- Water pump

- Interior light for switches constantly fail. A replaced a bunch a few years ago, and now 6 switches need lights again.

- HVAC mode servo failed and started to chatter. I didn't know these should ever go bad...

- The van is developing rust on the doors and hood.

And, I have received over a half-dozen recall notices and bulletins from Toyota.

·
Registered
42 Posts
YIKES

Bad builds happy. I had a similar experience with an 2006 Honda Pilot, which lead me to my 2015 Sienna. Hopefully, what we experienced was one off and not representative of the manufacturer themselves.

That said, I doubt I would consider an American minivan anytime soon.

I am not sure what Toyota quality you are talking about. I purchased my 2008 Sienna at 1 year old with 14K miles. Since then I have done the following repairs:

- Fuel pump at 60K miles: the second vehicle that I needed to be towed home, the other was my Dodge pickup.

- Windshield washer pump: seriously, I didn't think these could go bad...

- Wheel bearings: three so far and counting...

- Tires every 40K miles, even though I get the highest mileage ones.

- Battery every three years: all my other vehicles can get over 8 years to a battery.

- Brakes every 40K miles. Good thing I bought the lifetime pads from Autozone.

- The serpentine belt pulleys have been replaced twice, and the tensioner once. The van is making noises again, so I need to replace another.

- Water pump

- Interior light for switches constantly fail. A replaced a bunch a few years ago, and now 6 switches need lights again.

- HVAC mode servo failed and started to chatter. I didn't know these should ever go bad...

- The van is developing rust on the doors and hood.

And, I have received over a half-dozen recall notices and bulletins from Toyota.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Better than the 4 (yes, FOUR) transmissions I've had in my Town & Country with 158,000 miles on it, Oh, and a new a/c compressor. And new brakes all round. And the leaks. Not to mention the radiator that exploded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts