Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 15 years and almost 180k miles, my AC has been struggling to cool the van down in 90+ ambient temps.

I removed the bumper cover and styrofoam and cleaned the AC condenser. Sprayed the front of it with 50/50 Simple Green mix and let it sit, hosed down with water and repeated the process once more. AC works much better now, will actually cool down the van in high temps and will freeze you out in slightly lower temps.

The pic with the horns still attached is the before.

-Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,984 Posts
Nicely done Mike!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good job!
I used some of this coil cleaner on the condenser when I changed out the radiator out, it was very effective.
I also added some mesh grill to the lower front bumper to prevent rocks from damaging the lower part of the condenser. I wish I had done it sooner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,984 Posts
I also added some mesh grill to the lower front bumper to prevent rocks from damaging the lower part of the condenser.
I did the same, since the van was new. I found a 1/4 inch gridlike galvanized mesh and doubled up offsetting each layer about an eight of an inch for smaller rocks. I zip tied the layers together then used aluminum strands ( used in the fencing industry) to tie the completed mesh to the cars front grill .

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job!
I used some of this coil cleaner on the condenser when I changed out the radiator out, it was very effective.
I also added some mesh grill to the lower front bumper to prevent rocks from damaging the lower part of the condenser. I wish I had done it sooner.
Thanks! I am adding an auxiliary transmission cooler later this summer and that will be a good time to add in the mesh panel. Thanks for the idea and the link!

-Mike

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,984 Posts
that will be a good time to add in the mesh panel.
Indeed Mike ! I initially used the usual zip ties for securing the mesh to the front grill. Those ties did not last long and so I switched using metal wires of sorts to secure the mesh to the lower part of the grill. I found out one day washing the van and noticed the grill had shifted downwards out of place.

Reactions: floridanative

·
Registered
905 Posts
A clean condenser is a happy one. We have lots of pollen and it gets baked on the condenser. I know I am in Canada but it gets hot sometimes. LOL.

Nice job Mike. This also applies to central AC. Grass clippings and build up make the AC work harder and cant get rid of the heat as it was designed to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts