Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Toyota Sienna twice today has failed to start and makes a clicking noise like the battery is weak - battery was replaced in the last 6 months. After it fails to start, the key is released from the start position, two seconds later it starts all by itself without any trouble. I have no idea what could be wrong here. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starter and solenoid replaced. The van is still having intermittent issues that feel like a dead/dying battery.
After replacing the starter it seemed fine for half a day then wouldn't start again. Instead of the clicking then starting by itself, it would make a single click and nothing. Jumping the van got it started. Ran to the store, left it running then home. Turned it off then tried starting again, click and nothing.

Put a trickle charger on the battery, it claimed 95% charge. After 15 min @97% it started.

Took it into a shop. Battery tests fine and of course it's working just fine for them. They will keep for observation.

If they can't find the issue, what else should i look at?
  • Neutral safety?
  • Ignition switch?
  • Ground?
Thanks

·
Registered
903 Posts
If it didn't start at 95% charge but did at 97%, it's likely that you have resistance (corrosion?) in your power and/or ground cables. I had something similar one time. I kept the corrosion at bay on the cables (I thought), but some had worked its way under the battery post connector into the end of the main. It would sometimes start and sometimes not, like a dead battery, but the battery was fine. After the battery test, the second test was wiggling the cables in a no-start condition. When I did that, the cable broke right off the terminal block. That said, it could be the other things you mentioned OR it could actually be a bad battery. Sometimes, the inexperienced guys they hire at the parts stores don't even know how to properly use the battery tester.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill. We got it back from the shop and they were unable to duplicate. The battery, voltage at the starter and alternator all checked out. For now it's not given us anymore trouble.

I'll see if i can test the voltage drop on the cables. that's a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts