Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
well worse than that was a timing belt replacement on the 3.3 - removing the upper engine mount bracket was one of the worst things I have ever had to do. Ultimately I took it out in one piece and then cut the bottom bracket off. After that I couldn't get one of the long bolts out and it took a machine shop over a week to get it out. What a terrible design

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was EXACTLY what happened to me! Removed the struts and the passenger side CV joint fell apart. Nothing I did would get that thing out. I ended up having it towed to a mechanic to torch the bearing carrier bracket into pieces to remove it. The internet tells me you can use a sawsall and a carbide or diamond blade to cut through the shaft right next to the carrier in order to remove the nuts holding it in, but I didn't have any of those tools. I'm inclined to say the whole bracket should be destructively removed with extreme prejudice. Side note, if the passenger half-shaft doesn't come with a new carrier, order one from your local Toyota dealer. No one else sells it separately, that I know of. Also, I wouldn't be afraid to put some nickel anti-seize on the inside of the bracket to hopefully make the job easier next time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well, Bill, you just had to go and open your big mouth! Now the passenger side has done the same thing! :mad:

;)

Yes, I was fully expecting it, and had already bought the axle for that side. (y)

Then my air compressor died. :rolleyes:

So, bought a used one to replace it. Not as hefty, but it runs.... Got in place and ready to go, but my right hand man had to go to work, so we'll tackle the Sienna another day.

I said in an earlier post that the passenger side was fine, but I spoke too soon. It was on its way out, too.

If you have more than about a hundred fifty thousand miles on your Sienna, or maybe 10 years or so, and have never replaced the struts, I'm thinking you really ought to pop off the windsheild wiper cover and take a good look at the top mounts, just in case. That part of it is a very easy job. You could have it off, take a gander at things, and put it back together in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, man! I'm so sorry my post caused your strut and half-shaft to fail. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good luck with the repair. It seems the consensus is to order a Diablo carbide reciprocating saw blade to make quick work of whatever steel needs to be cut to get it out of there.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts