Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please delete if this is a repeat post.

10 days ago my wife backed into a car with her 13 Sienna. Minor back left side fender damage. 5 days ago we had the windshield replaced. 2 days ago a warning ABS Brake take to dealer displayed. Today, the steering wheel was stiff, the speedometer stopped working. The shop pulled codes and there was around 10 codes. I called service manager he said maybe related to accident or a rodent. Something about a cluster and wires. Schedule for Friday with a master technician but a little tight on funds. Could anyone please offer a little guidance?

2013 Toyota Sienna 3.5L V6 MFI (2GR-FE)

Heating & Air Conditioning - HVAC History Codes - Codes: 2
U0100 Communication Malfunction (engine ECU)
U0101 Lost Communication With TCM

Instrtrument Panel Cluster - Current Codes - Codes: 1
U0129 Lost Communication With Brake System Control Module

Body Control Module - History Codes - Codes: 3
U0100 Lost Communication with ECM / PCM “A” or EV ECU
U0101 Lost Communication with TCM
U0151 Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module

Engine History Codes - Codes: 1
P1604 Start Ability Malfunction

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
77 Posts
Could this possibly be a ground wire issue with the BCM? Not sure where it's located on this van, but a broken wire can wreak havoc on everything in these newer vehicles. Might at least have a peak @ where the body damage is and work back to the BCM. Just a thought.

Reactions: daynick456

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could this possibly be a ground wire issue with the BCM? Not sure where it's located on this van, but a broken wire can wreak havoc on everything in these newer vehicles. Might at least have a peak @ where the body damage is and work back to the BCM. Just a thought.
Thank you. I guess it could I am not mechanical so I really don't have an opinion. However, I have a friend that is a mechanic so I can have him take a look. Appreciate it. : )

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this: your car’s primary control system is governed by the body control module. It may not control the steering... the steering is real affected. So maybe not this but who know and do appreciate the idea and feedback.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I guess it could I am not mechanical so I really don't have an opinion. However, I have a friend that is a mechanic so I can have him take a look. Appreciate it. : )
I think I found the identical issue and some folks were spending a lot of money:

Warning lights all on, tach and speedo bouncing, power steering hard Discussion Starter · #1 · Mar 30, 2020

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
77 Posts
Therbi's got a point. If you have an appt, might as well see what they have to say. Either way, let us know how it turns out and good luck!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you already have an appointment with a tech friday no point in guessing what any of it could be is my suggestion. Just wait till they look at it and go from there.
Good question thank you. I think because I have read that some folks have paid a lot for searching and I thought if I could add information it might be found more effectively. Today for a minute the entire system went back to normal. I think something is just loose!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

10 days ago my wife backed into a car with her 13 Sienna. Minor back left side fender damage. 5 days ago we had the windshield replaced. 2 days ago a warning ABS Brake take to dealer displayed. Today, the steering wheel was stiff, the speedometer stopped working. The shop pulled codes and there was around 10 codes. I called service manager he said maybe related to accident or a rodent. Something about a cluster and wires. Schedule for Friday with a master technician but a little tight on funds. Could anyone please offer a little guidance?

At Toyota now. Yesterday codes were coming and going. I ran heater this morning and codes kicked off for 5 minutes. The check in guy at Toyota checked codes and his reader said none. Weird all the way around.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Weird. Even if the light goes off usually those codes are still stored in the vehicle. Did they do anything to look around and check for damaged wiring or anything like that or give you any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weird. Even if the light goes off usually those codes are still stored in the vehicle. Did they do anything to look around and check for damaged wiring or anything like that or give you any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
No. They took me and my son home and then I got a text that said my van does not want to talk to the computer can I leave it for awhile. Thank you for helping.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well maybe that isnt necessarily a bad thing. If theres no communication maybe they can start trouble shooting as to why.
Keep us posted.
I just talked with service manager. He says he needs to see what is behind the codes. And he can't do that right now. That I have to leave the van over the weekend. That his master technician checked the fuses and now has to check all the connections one at a time. This is exactly what i was afraid of. I just hope it relates to the rear end collision which is under insurance.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Update Today

Service Manage called me today he said:

1) Skid control actuator won't function. A new one is 1 thousand.
2) Can’t run tests.
3) Main computer of van says it is communing with systems.
4) Everything else is fine.
5) Can't prove to an insurance adjustor that the rear damage allowing water entry is related to to actuator.
6) I could buy my own actuator they would install but not warantee.

This is why I didn't want to bring it into Toyota.

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
77 Posts
Spending "good money after bad" but, can you get a body shop (independent) say that the rear damage IS allowing water entry in and wreaking havoc on the actuator? Or, can you replace it yourself with a "used" actuator? I really dislike stealerships and insurance companies are a necessary evil. Ugh!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spending "good money after bad" but, can you get a body shop (independent) say that the rear damage IS allowing water entry in and wreaking havoc on the actuator? Or, can you replace it yourself with a "used" actuator? I really dislike stealerships and insurance companies are a necessary evil. Ugh!
Great questions. Thank you. I could try. The service manager at Toyota said he could not say that to an adjuster that this moment. He has no proof. The car is involved in an open claim cause my wife backed into a car. We have a $500 deductible. The body work for our van was only $1500. The service manager said he would replace it with one I supplied but that he could not warrant it. What if I go and do that stuff and then at the end of the day it was related to the open claim? Then I would have wished I sat back and wrote checks to Toyota. Tough one. The collision center was approve by Safeco. Toyota is not really involved yet. Or maybe never be. Toyota says I can keep the loaner and take my time. I am trying really hard to make the best choice. A master technician from another local Toyota shop says he thinks that fact that water is getting in through the back gap which was created due to the collision could be the source.

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
77 Posts
I think I'd politely let Safeco (decent company, btw) know in no uncertain terms that your van had NONE of these problems with the MIL or this actuator before the collision, regardless of whether your wife backed into somebody, lightning struck the car, or whatever. The point is, the vehicle has not worked properly since the collision, and "I'm paying you my hard earned $$ in premiums. This is one of the reasons we carry insurance" is pretty much how I'd word it to them, calmly of course.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'd politely let Safeco (decent company, btw) know in no uncertain terms that your van had NONE of these problems with the MIL or this actuator before the collision, regardless of whether your wife backed into somebody, lightning struck the car, or whatever. The point is, the vehicle has not worked properly since the collision, and "I'm paying you my hard earned $$ in premiums. This is one of the reasons we carry insurance" is pretty much how I'd word it to them, calmly of course.
I like your thinking. I plan to discuss with my wife tonight. Thank you.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Toyota has had the van for 6 weeks. I have not pushed them for an answer. They seem to have run into a problem.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

1 - 20 of 96 Posts