Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Every company is going to have complaints against it, you just need to make sure your glass isnt leaking. If you are not comfortable pulling the A pillar and poking around yourself you have 2 options.
Take it back where you had it done and make them check, but if they screwed up are they going to actually find it and own up to a mistake?
Or call some other places, explain what issues you've been having, and ask them if they could check for leaks. Some dont want to touch jobs that other places have done, but thats why you call around and ask.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Every company is going to have complaints against it, you just need to make sure your glass isnt leaking. If you are not comfortable pulling the A pillar and poking around yourself you have 2 options.
Take it back where you had it done and make them check, but if they screwed up are they going to actually find it and own up to a mistake?
Or call some other places, explain what issues you've been having, and ask them if they could check for leaks. Some dont want to touch jobs that other places have done, but thats why you call around and ask.
After sharing your post with Toyota and the following email Toyota has agreed (considering they had my van for 3 months) to run tests to determine if the windhshield is leaking.

Email to Toyota (one of several):

I posted this last night while I was sitting in the parking lot of Genuine. An admin approved it just 41 minutes ago. Look at what I am hearing already. I am certain they screwed up. I am asking for your help please. I need a professional to back me and you folks had the van for 3 months.

Anyone have issues with Genuine Auto Glass of Sequim? Or know why they changed their name to Safelite Auto Glass? They changed our windshield on June 2 and five days later water got under the dash.

Wendy Schaeffer Hanson
My mom got hers done there a few weeks ago and it leaked. They did fix it but the phone scheduling system was a joke!

Nancy Wilcox
I have to take mine in as have a leak after they replaced mine. Sure they will fix it right.

Josh Millar
I had to go back as they forgot their Tools in my truck and didn't hook up my defroster

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Took the van into Toyota and they removed the A pillar and performed a water leak test. They told me they could not confirm a current leak. They told me that they believe water got in from the original crack back in December 2021. They did point out that on the new shield their is water in the crack. They stated the shield was an after market. Here is what Toyota wrote.

As per our conversation i am attaching all the pictures. Also discussed i believe what happened was that during the 6mo wait on trying to get your windshield replaced outside your insurance (which sound like they may have advised you to do since you deduct was 500) that moisture entered the crack and moved it way into the veh ending up in the wiring harness. On replacing the window i believe that moisture that might have been hanging out somewhere around the crack area was released to the connector basically adding the preverbally straw that broke the camel's back. This is supported by the pictures i have attached. If you look at the pictures of the new crack, you can see the bottom of the crack is holding water (refracting the light when held at an angle) as you can see at the top of the crack the is no refraction of the light which mean at this point there is no water in that part of the crack.

Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Attachments

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Sorry, I am sort of confused. You had a cracked windshield, water got in and corroded the connector, but the glass has since been replaced right? Just your sentence that says they pointed out water in the crack in the new shield.
So does that mean you have a cracked windshield again?

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Yes, the the shield which was replaced June 6, 2022 now has a crack already. Here is the timeline. And here is a picture of the first crack from December. I find it all to be confusing. One thing that didn't make sense to me was that Toyota said they seen no water trails. The replaced shield was an after market. It only cost $288.32 to replace. My insurance company told me that because my deductible is $500 I should do it myself with Genuine Auto Glass of Sequim because they have a relationship with this company. Genuine Auto Glass of Sequim is the company many local folks had problems with - their replacement shields are leaking. Even after a correction - second install a local resident had a leak again.

December 2021 - crack windshield, insurance say fix yourself, no glass available.
June 2, 2022 - Genuine Auto Glass of Sequim Replace Glass.
June 6, 2022 - Codes Thrown Off.
June 8, 2022 - Forum Post - Van taken to Toyota.
Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hi Therbi, please let me know if you get any ideas. I keep thinking that here you have a glass company that is making mistakes and 4 days after the install the van has a electronic malfunction. Coupled with the fact that your statement supports that this leak area if attributed to faulty installs. Additionally, as happy as I am with Toyota doing what they did yesterday free of charge I know they don't have a lot of idle time to be patient as you suggested was necessary. On the other hand if it were leaking now a month after the repair (overlaying the corrosion) then you would think something would have happened again already. This has been one of the most frustrating auto issues I have ever dealt with.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Wow, you've had some seriously shit luck thats for sure.
I'm no expert on what is good and no good when it comes to cracked glass and what will or wont cause electrical problems. It does seem to make sense what they said though, and your pictures seem to support this. A vertical crack allowed water inside the passenger compartment and wreaked havoc on your electrical. I never would have thought that was possible but it sure does sound logical. Your most recent broken glass looks like the crack is mostly horizontal and runs along the bottom of the glass.

Does the crack dip down just below the wipers and take 90 degree turn so to speak or does it stay horizontal?
Again, never heard of this before but my point is, if the crack runs downward toward the dash again, wouldnt you be at risk for the exact same type of water intrusion you had before?
If yes, maybe go to a glass repair shop and ask them to fill it with that gel hardener stuff they use on small chips. Idea being just to make sure you dont get that same water leak idea.
Either that or you might need new glass again.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
No kidding right shit for sure. One thing the horizontal crack was the crack that happened first and supposedly allowed water entry. The vertical crack is the new one in the shield that was placed in June. Since the horizontal crack is gone I can only respond by looking at the photo and you could probably do a better job than me in evaluating how that crack ran. And yes I would think I would be at risk for water entry again. Toyota says what I am in danger of is that water in the window freezing and cracking. I do plan to get a new shield the only thing is that as soon as I do I lose the chance to prove that it was the glass company that made the mistake.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
If glass cracks it has to start somewhere and there's usually 2 ways it happens.
Something like a stone flies up and hits the glass while you're driving, then it spiders outward. You can usually see a chip or crater where that started and usually in the middle of the glass.
The other way is the edge of the glass. It can be made defectively or get hit on the edge. You can very lightly hit the edge of a piece of glass, take a chip out of it, and watch it spider pretty easily.
Is that picture you have in post 45 your current damaged glass? If yes, where did the crack start, at the middle or the edge?
If you say middle, you're probably up shits creek and you're going to be told a rock did it.
If its the edge of the glass you have a slightly better chance of getting them to eat it. But even if its an edge crack, they're probably going to say it didnt leave their shop cracked and tell you to pound sand.
Either way, if you had the glass installed at Billy Bobs House of Windshields, Bait and Tackle, do you really want to go back there?
If you dont want to go back to Billy Bobs, and cant really afford to fix it right away, you can buy some DIY repair kit for now. Its basically crazy glue you just fill in the crack with for the short term.
Just google windshield crack repair.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
So the third picture in that post, the one that says 09.jpg, shows it as a straight vertical crack right?
If thats your current glass that looks like pretty big crater just above the wiper and the crack went up and down from that starting point. If thats true then no way does that look like whoever installed it caused that chip. Looks like a stone chip that spidered to me.
Maybe not what you want to hear but thats my guess.
Either way get some of that glue and fill the crack till you can get it fixed.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So the third picture in that post, the one that says 09.jpg, shows it as a straight vertical crack right?
If thats your current glass that looks like pretty big crater just above the wiper and the crack went up and down from that starting point. If thats true then no way does that look like whoever installed it caused that chip. Looks like a stone chip that spidered to me.
Maybe not what you want to hear but thats my guess.
Either way get some of that glue and fill the crack till you can get it fixed.
Yes and thank you again.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yesterday one of the managers from Safelite Auto Glass informed us of a recall associated with the FUYAO glass that was used as an aftermarket product when our shield was replaced. The recall story is so dang close to everything that we experienced there is NO way it is a coincidence. I am certain I have found the case.

Font Number Document Paper product Paper

· Registered
'11 Limited FWD
510 Posts
Interesting. Can you get a recall number from him? My van had the windshield replaced before we bought it and the wires at the bottom are broken. However, I don't see FUYAO markings on it. We do have a FUYAO windshield in our Jetta; it's not optically great at all but it doesn't have embedded wires.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Daynick- Did your van come equipped with heated front windshield?
That was what the manager asked me and he wanted to check that out and said that the heating wire was allowing water to travel down into the wiring. I don't know how can I find out. I am on with Toytota and they said that they can see the I do have a Windshield De-icer.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Not at all trying to be an A hole but this just doesnt make sense. I had to go back a page to see your leak. You had corrosion in DA4, which is RH JB box located inside the passenger compartment. I just dont understand how water got from the bottom side of a windshield, in the engine compartment, to the inside of the passenger compartment, on the passenger side, into the JB box where your passengers right foot is.
Not saying you didnt have a problem, I just dont understand how water could physically travel a path like this.

If you want to know if you have heated glass see this thread by Geezer. Apparently all Sienna's should have it.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I would never think of you as an A hole but as of today I got a call from Safelite and it looks like they are going to replace my shield with a OEM and refund me the money I paid to Toyota. I don't understand much of any of this but I do understand that.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts