Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Strike that the lady from Safelite Corporate called me back they want me to meet the marketing manager and the service manager at the shop to perform a test where they put a soapy solution on the windshield and blow air from the inside out. Never ending madness on this deal.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Is your head sore from beating it against the wall dealing with these morons yet? LOL.
One thing to keep in mind, that thread from Geezer says all Siennas come with heated front glass. Read it to make sure you understand it and if thats true, make sure the glass they put in your van is heated. I think he said you can test this by pushing the rear defrost button and you should feel heat just under the front wipers.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Oh yeah it is I thought I was going to come unglued today. I wrote in my email that I would accept the bandaid repair on the harness but that if it went out later they would have to pay for the replacement. And that I wanted a OEM shield. Maybe that was too much. Meat heads. Thank you for the information about the heat that was really helpful.

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
815 Posts
Read it to make sure you understand it and if thats true, make sure the glass they put in your van is heated. I think he said you can test this by pushing the rear defrost button and you should feel heat just under the front wipers.
Even easier, just pop the hood and check for the wiring harness. You can see it though the black plastic grating. Flashlight not required, only used for a better picture. The wire going left and up is attached to the windshield heater, it plugs into the pictured connector towards the right side of the grate and runs off to the right to join the wiper harness before going into the engine compartment.

I did check just now and turning on the rear defrost the windshield under the wipers begins to feel warm in just a couple minutes.

For those interested, a better view with the cowl removed, from my spark plug change.

More to the right, the plug that’s unplugged here plugs into the wiper motor (removed in this picture).

If you watch them replace the windshield, you can see the windshield heater wires on the bottom of the windshield and the dangling wire harness on the replacement windshield. But as mentioned, all Siennas should have this so all aftermarket windshields should have it too. My windshield is aftermarket, not OEM.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Wow, you are amazing I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

I did some reading and Safelite Auto Glass has had all kinds of legal issues and many of them have very similar issues to what we are dealing with.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

When my wife gets home with the Sienna I plan to go out with her and look at all this stuff to see what we got. And does ours heat up. On Martin Luther King Day we drove to Silverdale and it just so happened that Master Glass Technician 30 years Bryan Harris was at the shop. He told us that he knew of a heating wire issue that was causing leaks. I can't recall the specific details. He asked if we had a heated shield. He had me pop the hood and he checked it out. He also mentioned that he has only seen a shield get hit so hard that it cracked from the inside a few times in his career. The after market shield cracked maybe in October so about 4 months after the install. Yesterday Melanie from Safelite Corporate called and wanted our invoice from Toyota. She confirmed that I wanted to be reimbursed and that I wanted a OEM shield and agreement that if the harness failed they would pay for a replacement. I might have already shared this. Then she called me back and said she needed to do a soap air leak test. She says their marketing manger (he told me I can't use his name on S.M.) Brandon __ & Bryon Harris could meet me at the Silverdale location. I told them before I meet I want to know the stats on the AM shield. And more about the wire leak deal Bryon told us about. And whether a leak from a wire would show in during a leak test. I think they have decided to try to get out of taking responsibility because they know the harness could very well go out. They have been sued a lot and lots of folks have had leaks due to improper installation. Melanie from Corporate referred to our reimbursement as being a lot of money but that's nonsense these guys are a very large corporation. This deal has been a nightmare. Here is the picture of the crack in the AM shield Bryon says got hit so hard it cracked from the inside. PS When I told the director of our Toyota dealer that Safelite was going to reimburse us he said they are doing the right thing. He had his master technician do the work on our van and knows everything that has gone on. I'm so fed up with this problem.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
The fluid is probably just washer fluid. The jets are on your hood so when you opened it gravity allowed a bit to leak out, nothing to worry about. Your third pic shows the drips. I bet those drips are just below the washer jet yes?
As for the wiring, that was jseyfert3 that took that picture, not me. Look at his picture again, he laid a flashlight on the cowl to shine brightly inside it and he was probably 2 inches away when he took the one picture.
If you have a bright flashlight, shine it directly in the cowl like he did and get your face right in there. You should be able to see the wires if they're in there.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The fluid is probably just washer fluid. The jets are on your hood so when you opened it gravity allowed a bit to leak out, nothing to worry about. Your third pic shows the drips. I bet those drips are just below the washer jet yes?
As for the wiring, that was jseyfert3 that took that picture, not me. Look at his picture again, he laid a flashlight on the cowl to shine brightly inside it and he was probably 2 inches away when he took the one picture.
If you have a bright flashlight, shine it directly in the cowl like he did and get your face right in there. You should be able to see the wires if they're in there.
Yes just below and thanks for pointing me to the correct person I need more help lately than normal.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Safelite called me they said if I won’t let them inspect the shield they are not responsible because genuine auto glass did the work and they bought them out 4 months later. I told them that I was willing to bring in the Sienna but I just wanted to have some information about the shield and wire water leak before I went in to allow them to inspect. So I had to concede to being the Sienna in as is and let them inspect the shield. I was pretty sure they had an obligation to be responsible for the install genuine did but now I’m thinking they can claim I wouldn’t allow an inspection so that allowed them to not be responsible. I don’t trust this company at all and can’t believe that Toyota was unable to determine the problem. Argh…….

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
Dealing with shady businesses is awesome isnt it.
I did just go check mine and I do also have heated glass. Never even knew I had it. Thanks to jseyfert3 for suggesting just shining the light in there. That never would have crossed my mind.
It does kind of suck you have to hit the rear defrost to activate it though. Lots if times there's ice build up on the front as you're driving into crap weather and the back can be clear and not need heat. My wifes 2021 Rav has a button to activate just the heat up front, wish mine was like that.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Dealing with shady businesses is awesome isnt it.
I did just go check mine and I do also have heated glass. Never even knew I had it. Thanks to jseyfert3 for suggesting just shining the light in there. That never would have crossed my mind.
It does kind of suck you have to hit the rear defrost to activate it though. Lots if times there's ice build up on the front as you're driving into crap weather and the back can be clear and not need heat. My wifes 2021 Rav has a button to activate just the heat up front, wish mine was like that.
I honestly feel like they don’t give a crap and just want to find a way out. I had water go down into my wiring harness. And if they don’t have responsibility then why inspect it. Just to say it’s not leaking or some other excuse. I’m kind of upset Toyota didn’t figure it out. Glad you found out more about your features I don’t understand it all. We have 2 defrost buttons is that alone enough to know ours is heated?

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
815 Posts
As long as you are aware of how to activate it, I don't think it hurts anything to run rear defrost when it's not needed. I regularly run my rear defrost when the windshield and rear window don't need it. Why? Because the defrost heat turns on the side mirror heaters too, and if they are wet (from dew/rain) the heat from the defrost will dry them out as you drive.

A separate button I wouldn't like, cause that's just another button I need to remember to press as needed instead of just one.

Is the RAV4 a heated windshield designed to help melt ice on the visible portion of the window, or only to keep the wipers from freezing? Most vehicles have wipers sitting on the visible portion, up where the defrost vents can blow. But the Sienna uses a heater grid for de-icing at the wipers because the wipers sit down low, below the clear section, where the defrost vents can't reach. Hence why, I believe, all Siennas have a wiper defrost heater. But some new vehicles are starting to add de-ice/de-fog to the clear portion of the windshield, for faster windshield clearing. This hasn't been a common thing due to cost. Airplane windshields, at least those of commercial aircraft that fly in icing conditions, have whole-windshield clear de-icing electrical heaters. That's why they have a gold tint to them if you look at them. But at least historically, this technology was too expensive to apply to "mere" passenger vehicles. But this clear de-icing tech is very, very similar to the clear touchscreen tech on your cell phone screen, and chances are the surge in touchscreens has made such tech much cheaper and more suitable to integration into things like vehicle windshields, and the de-icing lines on the rear windows will someday be a thing of the past, and windshields will all have whole-window electrical de-icers that are perfectly clear.

· Registered
'11 Limited FWD
510 Posts
Here are pictures from our Sienna I don't see the things you have on your Sienna Therbi.
The wires would all be behind the plastic cover with the square holes, which is still in place in your photos. Behind it, there's a bracket right on the centerline of the car, even with the edge of the engine cover, which holds the connectors where the windshield plugs into the vehicle wiring harness.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts