Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
815 Posts
I may have made that confusing by adding pictures with the cowl off from my spark plug change. The fact that yours heats up means you have it and it’s working.

For looking for the wires, here’s a quick video with context of where to look:

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The wires would all be behind the plastic cover with the square holes, which is still in place in your photos. Behind it, there's a bracket right on the centerline of the car, even with the edge of the engine cover, which holds the connectors where the windshield plugs into the vehicle wiring harness.
Thank you.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
My wife went into Safelite in Silverdale on Martin Luther King day and it just so happens that Bryan Harris Master Glass Technician for Safelite was there training installers. He right away bought up this heating wire causing leaks. And look how our wire has been taped over with electric tape. SUCPICIOUS!
Building Automotive tire Grille Mesh Wood

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
I got it!!!!!!!! They replaced the shield with a non heated shied and cut our wires out that's why Melanie from Corporate won't give me the stats on the shield. It's because of you guys that I figured this out you guys are the best! I need to find out if this shield is heated but I bet it is not. And Safelite has a bazillion consumer complaints.
Handwriting Azure Font Electric blue Circle

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
815 Posts
I got it!!!!!!!! They replaced the shield with a non heated shied and cut our wires out that's why Melanie from Corporate won't give me the stats on the shield. It's because of you guys that I figured this out you guys are the best! I need to find out if this shield is heated but I bet it is not. And Safelite has a bazillion consumer complaints.
You previously said that your windshield was heating under the wipers when you pressed the rear defrost button. If it's heated, the wires can't be cut.

I can't tell that's electrical tape from the pictures, but electrical tape certainly wouldn't be OEM. OEM would use something like heat shrink if needed, they wouldn't just wrap something in electrical tape.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You previously said that your windshield was heating under the wipers when you pressed the rear defrost button. If it's heated, the wires can't be cut.

I can't tell that's electrical tape from the pictures, but electrical tape certainly wouldn't be OEM. OEM would use something like heat shrink if needed, they wouldn't just wrap something in electrical tape.
I didn’t mean to say they were heating I only meant to say I have 2 buttons we have not tested them. I don’t think I ever knew they did that. That is electrical tape.

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
815 Posts
I didn’t mean to say they were heating I only meant to say I have 2 buttons we have not tested them. I don’t think I ever knew they did that. That is electrical tape.
Ah, okay. Are the wires cut, or just covered in electrical tape? Have you tried turning on the rear defrost button for a couple minutes and seeing if you can feel heat under the windshield wipers?

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Ah, okay. Are the wires cut, or just covered in electrical tape? Have you tried turning on the rear defrost button for a couple minutes and seeing if you can feel heat under the windshield wipers?
I don't know. I have an appointment tomorrow with Toyota to look at the wires and tape and to perform a soap air pressure test. Unfortunately, I learned over the weekend that Toyota has this company do work at their dealership so there is a conflict of interest. I have not tried feeling for heat but my wife will be home in an hour and I will try that for the first time ever. Thank you.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I don’t know if the wires are cut or just covered. I was going to wait for the master technician to get in there and check tomorrow morning. I have not tried to see if I could feel heat under the wipers I honestly thought that one button was for the front glass and one button was for the rear glass.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I watched a video and I think my second defrost button is for the back window. I did feel the wipers and felt no heat.

I found a really good video that gave me some good ideas. 1) how simple the electric plug is to plug in and makes no sense why I have electric tape on my wires (Toyota did not have a chance to look at my wires today. 2) They used a long flat tool and the guy said be careful not to go into the dash - maybe when you go into the dash water can get inside. Here is the video:

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
815 Posts
I have not tried to see if I could feel heat under the wipers I honestly thought that one button was for the front glass and one button was for the rear glass.
I watched a video and I think my second defrost button is for the back window. I did feel the wipers and felt no heat.
Mostly, yes, the one is for the front and one is for the rear, but not quite:

Left button: Blows air on the inside of the windshield from the dash vents under the windshield.

Right button: Turns on electric heating elements on the rear window and electric heating elements in the side mirrors and the electrical heating element under where the wipers sit on the front windshield.
Font Material property Parallel Art Rectangle

Interestingly, the manual, above, implies some Siennas do not come with windshield de-icers, even though everything I've heard here points to the fact that they do.

P.S. Hey look, the manual says the outside mirror defrosters remove frost, dew, or raindrops from the mirrors! I hadn't read this, but I was already using it to do that! 🤣

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Mostly, yes, the one is for the front and one is for the rear, but not quite:

Left button: Blows air on the inside of the windshield from the dash vents under the windshield.

Right button: Turns on electric heating elements on the rear window and electric heating elements in the side mirrors and the electrical heating element under where the wipers sit on the front windshield.
View attachment 60787

Interestingly, the manual, above, implies some Siennas do not come with windshield de-icers, even though everything I've heard here points to the fact that they do.

P.S. Hey look, the manual says the outside mirror defrosters remove frost, dew, or raindrops from the mirrors! I hadn't read this, but I was already using it to do that! 🤣
Thank you this was very helpful. Helped you too. :) PS I had both buttons depressed for the whole drive to town and felt no heat under the wipers.

· Registered
2020 Sienna LE
448 Posts
I just tried mine for the first time the other day. Wasnt super cold out but maybe hovering around freezing. I am sure it was slightly warmer under the wipers where I think the wires should be, but definitely not warm in any way. Supposed to get cold this week for the first time all winter here, maybe will try again and see if it does much but so far I cant really say I'm impressed in anyway at all.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I just tried mine for the first time the other day. Wasnt super cold out but maybe hovering around freezing. I am sure it was slightly warmer under the wipers where I think the wires should be, but definitely not warm in any way. Supposed to get cold this week for the first time all winter here, maybe will try again and see if it does much but so far I cant really say I'm impressed in anyway at all.
Sounds good we are supposed to get colder too. Maybe it’s easier to notice in cold weather.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts