Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help to help my mechanic. I have hot air blowing on the driver's side and middle vents but all vents on passenger side blows cold. Mechanic tried flushing the system with solvent, no luck; also feed a camera inside and doors appeared to be opening and closing properly. I read a few strings that appeared to relate to a servo motor but from what I gathered, this is an A/C issue. Mine is strictly heat or lack thereof. I have a 2008 AWD. Can anyone help? thanks, Anne

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
LE, XLE, Limited? It makes a difference as the airmix arrangement is different in the HVAC box.

There are 2 issues to consider - the flow of hot water to the heater core, and flow of air around the heater core and out to the respective vents.

A member I helped 2 years ago (?) found that his heater core developed a sludge blockage on the passenger's side (the end away from the inlet/outlet connections). Sludge is more likely to coalesce on the colder side (away from the inlet) side of the core. IIRC, he had heat on the left side of the dash, but it was cold on the right. A rare event, but it can happen.

More likely it is an issue with either the movement of the airmix flaps, the solenoids that move them, or in a very rare case the HVAC panel controls that direct the solenoids to move the flaps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. It's a lowly CE. I also have cold air coming out of the far right side of the middle vent... very odd because the same vent blows primarily very hot air. Are these labour intensive jobs as a matter of interest?

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
The CE & LE share a common design and control system.

On the high end models, the flapper down in the lower part of the box near the floor (heater core) is split into two, with a control servo motor on both sides. His and hers heat control.

On the base models, we *think* there are probably still split flaps (changing that to a solid would require a whole new plastic casting), but they are on a common rail and controlled by a servo ONLY on the passenger's side. I say think, because there is no documentation available to us that shows how to repair the insides of the box. It's sold with one single part number (non-serviceable) for something like $1400 plus a lot of labor to get to it.

So the question is can the problem be diagnosed and a makeshift solution found without incurring a $2k bill?

First problem is to really see inside and know what's going on. We know the servo must be working if you can control the drivers side. The servo (mounted on the passengers side) must be taking commands and moving that rail, and the flap on the drivers side must be connecting and moving on command, right? So did the half flap on the passengers side break loose from the shaft and get stuck in the position in which it's blocking airflow into half the heater core? That's what I suspect may have happened. Can you get a camera to the right spot to see it? Even if you can see it, can you reconnect it?

I can send you some drawings, and maybe suggest spots where a camera could be inserted and what to look for.... Unfortunately, I have neither a remote camera or a Gen-II van anymore, so playing along isn't possible.

Oh, and I doubt that the duct/baffle/flaps are perfectly aligned and sealed. That some stratified warm air and some cold air make it up along the 'dividing line' to a single vent doesn't surprise me.

And we haven't ruled out a partially clogged heater core yet either.... If the sludge line is somewhere around center, you could get this to happen also.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. This sounds like it could be pretty labour intensive if we aren't "lucky" finding the problem. I really appreciate the insight. Will let you know how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
If you get any work done (no matter what the results) please come back and share. We all learn as we go along.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2006 Seinna AWD and also facing same problem recently after i put so Barr's Liquid Copper in the coolant to fix the small leak on the bottom of the radiator. Well Radiator is not fix but my passenger side heat is GONE. What a FIX right.

So well I took it to 4 different mechanic and they all checked the Acctuator there are three in 2006 Sienna and they all are working. Heater core inlet and outlet hose are also warm/Hot and mechanic are confuse how in the world only one side of heater core is not working.

They all seems to agree that the LIQUID COOPER COULD HAVE CLOGGED ONE SIDE OF THE HEATER CORE.

DOES ANY HAVE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH CLOGGED HEATER AND YOU STILL GET GOOD HEAT FROM DRIVER SIDE BUT NOT PASSENGER.

i MEAN THERE IS ONLY ONE INLET AND ONE OUTLET SO IF HEATER CORE IS LOGGED THEN HOW IS MY COOLANT CIRCULATING IF HEATER CORE IS CLOGGED ANY EXPLANATION.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem happened same way i flushed heater core too but still didn't get help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2006 Seinna AWD and also facing same problem recently after i put so Barr's Liquid Copper in the coolant to fix the small leak on the bottom of the radiator. Well Radiator is not fix but my passenger side heat is GONE. What a FIX right.

So well I took it to 4 different mechanic and they all checked the Acctuator there are three in 2006 Sienna and they all are working. Heater core inlet and outlet hose are also warm/Hot and mechanic are confuse how in the world only one side of heater core is not working.

They all seems to agree that the LIQUID COOPER COULD HAVE CLOGGED ONE SIDE OF THE HEATER CORE.

DOES ANY HAVE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH CLOGGED HEATER AND YOU STILL GET GOOD HEAT FROM DRIVER SIDE BUT NOT PASSENGER.

i MEAN THERE IS ONLY ONE INLET AND ONE OUTLET SO IF HEATER CORE IS LOGGED THEN HOW IS MY COOLANT CIRCULATING IF HEATER CORE IS CLOGGED ANY EXPLANATION.
Do u get any results?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish people would post follow ups to their repairs.

I have a 2013 Sienna LE AWD

I purchased it 4 months ago just before the Michigan winter started.

When traveling with four kids I realized the van was not defrosting. The windows were foggy no matter the temperature.
I would have front and rear defrost going and still too fogged up to see anything.

So I took the van a part looking for the servo motor. There seriously is NO information online about these motors.

My motors were both working at random and then stopped completely when I was trying to reassemble the dash.

You REALLY need to take a part the dash. The glove box, radio, temp control, center counsel right down the the metal bracket the braces and grounds to the van.

So I ordered a used part off of Ebay because I don't have $450 to give to the dealer for the part.

Now these servo motors can be re-greased and used IF they still work when you give them power. I didn't have that kind of luck though.

The removal and installation of the servo motors is extremely hard. There is not a clean unscrew and remove. You have to carefully squeeze it out of the position and squeeze it back.

Last night when reassembling the van I had everything working great. Today we went on a trip to town and realized the passenger side is blowing cold air only.
I have the temperature gun on it yesterday and it was blowing 80 degrees or more (the same as the other vents).

Now I am frustrated and unsure where to start. My van sat for a week waiting for the part to come in.

I will attach some pictures. Can anyone give me advise please?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I reworked your post, so hopefully it will load properly. The following was updated today.....

I did FIX my issue. When I put the new actuators in my van I didn't line the slots up correctly. It is a difficult job. So I took it apart and was able to line it up so the door would open and close. Now I am blowing out pretty hot air.
IMG_20200126_193904.jpg
IMG_20200126_193856.jpg
IMG_20200126_193829.jpg
[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
I still believe it is one of two issues:

1) A set of flaps within the air box is routing left side air thru the heater core, while right side flaps are not moving correctly. You'll need to split open the box to know for sure.

2) The heater core that spans both sections of the lower box is partially restricted. Hot water is flowing thru the tubes on the left side, but not well thru the right side. You'll need to somehow evaluate the flow rate and resistance to flow thru the heater core compared to a new unit to know if this is the case. Or just take the chance and replace it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I still believe it is one of two issues:

1) A set of flaps within the air box is routing left side air thru the heater core, while right side flaps are not moving correctly. You'll need to split open the box to know for sure.

2) The heater core that spans both sections of the lower box is partially restricted. Hot water is flowing thru the tubes on the left side, but not well thru the right side. You'll need to somehow evaluate the flow rate and resistance to flow thru the heater core compared to a new unit to know if this is the case. Or just take the chance and replace it.

My van is fixed. I updated the information. I hope it is helpful for others. Unfortunately I did not take video of the repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My van is fixed. I updated the information. I hope it is helpful for others. Unfortunately I did not take video of the repair.
I just got a sienna 2012 with this issue and your posts are literally the only one I can find that talks about the gen 3 with this issue that actually had a solution.

Can you provide any additional information. I would really appreciate it. Do you happen to know the part numbers or links to what you ordered. What did you end up replacing?

Under the glove box I got the gear moving when swapping from hot to cold but obviously no change in temperature and always cold.

I'm curious though only my very left most vent it remotely "hot" and with the right driver vent is almost non existent and the passenger are just cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got a sienna 2012 with this issue and your posts are literally the only one I can find that talks about the gen 3 with this issue that actually had a solution.

Can you provide any additional information. I would really appreciate it. Do you happen to know the part numbers or links to what you ordered. What did you end up replacing?

Under the glove box I got the gear moving when swapping from hot to cold but obviously no change in temperature and always cold.

I'm curious though only my very left most vent it remotely "hot" and with the right driver vent is almost non existent and the passenger are just cold.

I would be happy to help as much as I can. I should have taken video, but I was so over this project. I was so annoyed about it.

So I purchased this part 11-17 Toyota Sienna Front Heater A/C Blend Door Actuator Assm OEM 87106-08101 | eBay

You have the bottom actuator working. That is for temp control. The top one in the same plastic housing is the one you need working. You literally need to disassemble everything to get the metal bracket off in order to remove the parts you need. If you don't remove the bracket you will break the plastic duct and you still won't be able to remove the whole assembly.

I believe a Phillips screwdriver (drill with a bit), pick tool, 10mm socket and 12mm socket also a 12mm wrench to get the bolts that are near the temperature display/unit.

You need to be careful and pay attention to how you remove it and check the settings. The picture I attached will help you track your issue. If you can move this freely without removing everything, then your door is not connect and MAYBE you just need to re-adjust it. Be careful, this is easy to break or need to re-adjust several times like I did. Because it was a weeks time between removal and reassemble.

Feel free to ask me more questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When our say that's for the bottom actuator for the temp control. This video is of the gears on the right side under the glovebox. I pointed it out in the attached image.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is number 5 on the parts chart.

I had time to take it apart and found the upper arm never move when switching from cold to hot.

If I put my fingers into the air box cavity I can feel all cold air when set to cold. If I set it to hot air I feel a mix of hot and cold and I notice the upper arm controlling the door which splits the hot and cold air never move.

Would it be safe to say its the above part you listed then?
87106-08101

I've never done ebay used parts. Reliable parts? OEM from dealer is $300 so double the price with no returns.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I had time to take it apart and found the upper arm never move when switching from cold to hot.

If I put my fingers into the air box cavity I can feel all cold air when set to cold. If I set it to hot air I feel a mix of hot and cold and I notice the upper arm controlling the door which splits the hot and cold air never move.

Would it be safe to say its the above part you listed then?
87106-08101

I've never done ebay used parts. Reliable parts? OEM from dealer is $300 so double the price with no returns.

That is one difficult part to pull down. But it does look like that motor is not moving. You can open it and see if the teeth are actually connecting. There is a possibility they have just moved out of position. I noticed mine was moving loose inside. I tried to regrease it, but it didn't work for me.

My used part from ebay is still going strong.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts