Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the car when cold seemed a bit slow, like 1.5 to 2 seconds. When I put it in gear the extra resistance would make the engine misfire about 20+ times. It ran fine after warming up. The car was running 5-10% rich. I smelled gas when I removed the ignition coil on cylinder 2.

I did the following work and it runs much better. (No cold misfires and fuel trims +/- 3%l):
(1) Changed the old NGK single tip plugs for new NGK twin tip plugs.
(2) Replaced the PCV valve and grommet.
(3) Rerouted the three back plugs to the three ignition coils on the front bank.

For the spark plug wiring, the rear bank is 1 3 5, and the front bank is 2 4 6. The Haynes manual it says to connect plugs 2-to-5, 4-to-1, and 6-to-3. This is how I did it and it is definitely running better than before.

Looking at how they where I thought that the wires were hooked up 2-to-5, 4-to-3, and 6-to-1, but would that even run at all? I drove the car pretty much fine before except for the cold misfires.

I am wondering which thing fixed the problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to think about when spark would happen with the bad wiring. Each plug will spark twice because of the shared spark. Cylinders 2456 would all get spark normally, but cylinder 1 would get spark 120 degrees early and cylinder 3 would get spark 120 degrees too late.

If that is true would that cause the cold misfires? Also, could the computer somehow correct for the bad wiring? I am pretty sure the 2000 is not a VVT engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts