Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife almost purchased a 2017 Sienna awd xle the other night. We went home to think it over and I did some research and found that these vans like to eat tires and I was wondering if it's at all possible to get tires that last longer than 20-30k. We live in Minnesota so my wife won't drive a car that isn't good in the snow. She loves her Jeep because of how it performs in the snow. As soon as we heard that tires don't last it turned us off on the Sienna. Anyone have better experience with tires that last longer ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yota, I live in Iowa and just purchased a 2020 AWD Sienna. For me I heard the same stories about the run flats not lasting long and they are expensive also. Since it was new I traded in the run flats for standard tires and I purchased
a smaller spare with a cover to throw inside. So the van rides nice also but it nice to have a spare. I guess the AWD must not have had the space for a spare underneath. But I love the van. You could keep the run flats until they need to be replaced and then buy the regular tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Minivans in general eat tires.
I know someone with a chrysler town and country.
He says the same thing, if you can get 30000 out of ANY tire thats about
the best you could hope for.

I ditched the run flats and bought a oem wheel off e bay and run a 5 tire rotation.
I dont use the 3 rd row so its sits in the back. When i do need to pack it full
i put it on a hitch carrier.
I am at 30000 right now and could probably get to 40000.
I dont drive in a manner that good on tires either.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
The driveshaft to the rears runs thru the spot where the spare would mount, so unfortunately that opportunity is lost.

It's a heavy vehicles to be running on standard passenger car tires. Still, our FWD Limited Premium comes in near the top of the Sienna weight class, and we are only on our second plus set of conventional tires at 84,000 miles. I have to qualify this, as we also have a set of winter tires. So technically 3 sets of tires, but only one set wore out and are gone. The other two still have good tread remaining.

The stiff sidewalls on runflats make it difficult to attain even wear across the tread face, so the tires are shot long before they should be. I always wondered if a set of customized alignment settings would have helped the situation any without compromises to handling.

Reactions: kottmeier
1 - 5 of 5 Posts