Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

No problems with the major components other than brakes, which has been well documented. BTW, CR recently tested Toyota hybrids vs. their non-hybrid counterparts, and low rolling resistance tires standard on the hybrids resulted in an average of 8ft longer braking distance from 60mph. The dinged categories:

Body Integrity: Squeaks, rattles, wind noises, loose or cracked seals and/or weather-stripping, air and water leaks.

Power Equipment: Cruise control, clock, warning lights, body control module, keyless entry, wiper motor or washer, tire pressure monitor, interior or exterior lights, horn, gauges, 12V power plug, remote engine start, alarm or security system.

In-car electronics: CD or DVD players, radio, speakers, GPS, communication system (e.g., OnStar), display screen freezes or goes blank, phone pairing (e.g. Bluetooth), voice control commands, steering wheel controls, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

The Carnival didn't have reliability data posted, likely due to insufficient data from a mid-year launch. Odyssey reliability went up as of recent, the opposite with the Pacifica.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I’m a little surprised the overall reliability rating is yellow despite having only two yellow and two single green marks. The 2017 by comparison had, according to CR, worse issues with the engine, transmission, and body integrity but scored a higher overall reliability. Going back to 2012, the 2021 has more double green (excellent) marks than any of the previous years, as well. Could someone explain that?

Consumer Reports recommends all of the mini vans, except for the Pacifica.

·
Registered
2021 LE AWD Silver
81 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I’m a little surprised the overall reliability rating is yellow despite having only two yellow and two single green marks. The 2017 by comparison had, according to CR, worse issues with the engine, transmission, and body integrity but scored a higher overall reliability. Going back to 2012, the 2021 has more double green (excellent) marks than any of the previous years, as well. Could someone explain that?

Consumer Reports recommends all of the mini vans, except for the Pacifica.
Only thought I have is the overall score has to be weighted in certain categories? That or the score is weighted against other cars in the same class?

Either way, I guess I don't put heavy stock in consumer reports, to be completely honest. I don't know enough of what they measure, how they measure it, etc. to really go off their recommendations over what I can get from a test drive myself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
View attachment 53399

No problems with the major components other than brakes, which has been well documented. BTW, CR recently tested Toyota hybrids vs. their non-hybrid counterparts, and low rolling resistance tires standard on the hybrids resulted in an average of 8ft longer braking distance from 60mph. The dinged categories:

Body Integrity: Squeaks, rattles, wind noises, loose or cracked seals and/or weather-stripping, air and water leaks.

Power Equipment: Cruise control, clock, warning lights, body control module, keyless entry, wiper motor or washer, tire pressure monitor, interior or exterior lights, horn, gauges, 12V power plug, remote engine start, alarm or security system.

In-car electronics: CD or DVD players, radio, speakers, GPS, communication system (e.g., OnStar), display screen freezes or goes blank, phone pairing (e.g. Bluetooth), voice control commands, steering wheel controls, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors.

View attachment 53400

The Carnival didn't have reliability data posted, likely due to insufficient data from a mid-year launch. Odyssey reliability went up as of recent, the opposite with the Pacifica.
It looks like the overall score was the highest due to the MPG being the best. I think that what made the difference. The MPG is probably a high impact factor on the overall score. Otherwise...it scored the worst in the road test and braking!!! It's disappointing. With that said...I don't really trust Consumer Reports..

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
147 Posts
View attachment 53399

View attachment 53400

Complete BS. The most reliable 3rd gen is '19 and "20. But on that chart is shown quite opposite.

Forget about that, guys.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
217 Posts
Well, I don't believe any data for a vehicle that is 1 year old only, it's to early to tell if a vehicle is reliable or not.

After 4 to 6 years then I will believe the data, otherwise it's to early to tell. Also it's the first year of a new gen, which seems like every vehicle that is a new gen has it's fair share of minor issues.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
It looks like the overall score was the highest due to the MPG being the best. I think that what made the difference. The MPG is probably a high impact factor on the overall score. Otherwise...it scored the worst in the road test and braking!!! It's disappointing. With that said...I don't really trust Consumer Reports..
I wonder if CR's road test factored in the availability of AWD, which IMO is a non-trivial advantage.

Also, I think Sienna's futuristically high fuel economy affects the overall ownership experience in more ways than just saving a few bucks at the pump. Actually, is $7-8K over 150K miles, if the gas prices stay at 3.50 average.

IMO, in order for any mechanical system to run super-efficiently - in fact 50% more efficiently than the baseline - it needs to be kept in the optimal range of operational parameters. This, in turn, will almost necessarily translate into increased longevity, improved reliability, lower maintenance costs and higher resale value.

Also, 36 mpg vs. 24 mpg means 50% less pollution - gotta be worth something for all who lives on this planet. The only habitable planet we know.

Speaking of which .... if we remain on the current path towards a carbon-neutral transportation, in the next 5 years I expect to see our gas-guzzlers to be progressively taxed off the public roads. Everyone (except Honda and GM) is working to put hybrid powertrains into their larger vehicle for the MY2023+, they must be aware of something.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, I don't believe any data for a vehicle that is 1 year old only, it's to early to tell if a vehicle is reliable or not.

After 4 to 6 years then I will believe the data, otherwise it's to early to tell. Also it's the first year of a new gen, which seems like every vehicle that is a new gen has it's fair share of minor issues.
To be fair, they are grading "predicted" reliability for the '21/'22 models, not confirmed reliability. Not entirely sure what use that is, because like you say you won't know for sure until vehicles of that generation start hitting 100,000+ miles. It's just an educated guess at this point.

CR uses three factors to determine "predicted" reliability: (1) the history of the manufacturer's reliability with that type of vehicle, (2) the reliability of the previous generation of that vehicle, and (3) the reliability of other vehicles that share components. So in this case, CR is grading the 21 Sienna based off of Toyota's reputation (1), the reliability of the Gen3 Sienna (2), and (3) the reliability of shared components with the Highlander Hybrid.

That seems fair I guess, but I still think the grades don't exactly add up. Personally, when I think of reliability, I am most interested in the powertrain - and CR gave the 21 Sienna glowing marks. I don't really care that the interior is squeak-free if the engine is broken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota's overall reliability has been slipping for about 15 years. If I had to buy new today, I'd buy Mazda. I have an 02 Sienna
in nearly perfect condition, garage kept, low mileage I will never part with. It's beautiful two tone. Toyota even cut that cost. The
best Toyota's were late 80's to about 2005. After that, zoom downhill. Just look at C/R and all the problems I read about out here
with new Sienna's. Profits and sales became more important then quality. Sucks but true.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
217 Posts
Toyota's overall reliability has been slipping for about 15 years. If I had to buy new today, I'd buy Mazda. I have an 02 Sienna
in nearly perfect condition, garage kept, low mileage I will never part with. It's beautiful two tone. Toyota even cut that cost. The
best Toyota's were late 80's to about 2005. After that, zoom downhill. Just look at C/R and all the problems I read about out here
with new Sienna's. Profits and sales became more important then quality. Sucks but true.
Every car manufacturer has started slipping in the reliability rankings because cars back then had less issues because they were mostly mechanical and barely any electronics versus today, where you have sensors all over the cars.

In my opinion toyota is still better than other manufacturers like chrysler, just my opinion though.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
350 Posts
Consumer Reports has Toyota as the 3rd ranked brand for reliability. Lexus is 1, Mazda 2. Obviously Lexus is Toyota, and a luck would have it Mazda and Toyota have a strategic partnership to build crossovers and hybrid crossovers for the American market (see shared plant in Huntsville, Alabama).

I’m sure your 20 year old Sienna is nice, but let’s not just ignore the reliability and success of the Camry, RAV4, Tacoma, Tundra, Sienna, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and Prius, all of which have nearly bulletproof models post 2005. As a long time Toyota truck enthusiast I have to laugh at your comment about newer Yotas. I loved my T100 but that thing was a hunk of junk compared to newer Tacos and Tundys.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The reliability of Toyota's hybrids is, courtesy of the Hybrid Synergy Drive, is a notch or two above the general reliability of the whole Toyota lineup. You see, people who intend to keep the car for 100K++ miles are usually driven by the budget aspects of vehicle ownership, and they are primarily focusing on the powertrain and other components that determine whether you can use the car to get from Point A to Point B.

To illustrate the point: I vaguely recall that the Prius I had between 2015 and 2020 would at times disconnect from the phone, and that the fuel gauge was very non-linear, but in one sentence I would describe it as "The car that ran for 130K+ miles at 53 mpg average and never needed unscheduled maintenance".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts