Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
It looks like the overall score was the highest due to the MPG being the best. I think that what made the difference. The MPG is probably a high impact factor on the overall score. Otherwise...it scored the worst in the road test and braking!!! It's disappointing. With that said...I don't really trust Consumer Reports..
I wonder if CR's road test factored in the availability of AWD, which IMO is a non-trivial advantage.

Also, I think Sienna's futuristically high fuel economy affects the overall ownership experience in more ways than just saving a few bucks at the pump. Actually, is $7-8K over 150K miles, if the gas prices stay at 3.50 average.

IMO, in order for any mechanical system to run super-efficiently - in fact 50% more efficiently than the baseline - it needs to be kept in the optimal range of operational parameters. This, in turn, will almost necessarily translate into increased longevity, improved reliability, lower maintenance costs and higher resale value.

Also, 36 mpg vs. 24 mpg means 50% less pollution - gotta be worth something for all who lives on this planet. The only habitable planet we know.

Speaking of which .... if we remain on the current path towards a carbon-neutral transportation, in the next 5 years I expect to see our gas-guzzlers to be progressively taxed off the public roads. Everyone (except Honda and GM) is working to put hybrid powertrains into their larger vehicle for the MY2023+, they must be aware of something.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Toyota's overall reliability has been slipping for about 15 years. If I had to buy new today, I'd buy Mazda. I have an 02 Sienna
in nearly perfect condition, garage kept, low mileage I will never part with. It's beautiful two tone. Toyota even cut that cost. The
best Toyota's were late 80's to about 2005. After that, zoom downhill. Just look at C/R and all the problems I read about out here
with new Sienna's. Profits and sales became more important then quality. Sucks but true.
The reliability of Toyota's hybrids is, courtesy of the Hybrid Synergy Drive, is a notch or two above the general reliability of the whole Toyota lineup. You see, people who intend to keep the car for 100K++ miles are usually driven by the budget aspects of vehicle ownership, and they are primarily focusing on the powertrain and other components that determine whether you can use the car to get from Point A to Point B.

To illustrate the point: I vaguely recall that the Prius I had between 2015 and 2020 would at times disconnect from the phone, and that the fuel gauge was very non-linear, but in one sentence I would describe it as "The car that ran for 130K+ miles at 53 mpg average and never needed unscheduled maintenance".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts