Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I’m a little surprised the overall reliability rating is yellow despite having only two yellow and two single green marks. The 2017 by comparison had, according to CR, worse issues with the engine, transmission, and body integrity but scored a higher overall reliability. Going back to 2012, the 2021 has more double green (excellent) marks than any of the previous years, as well. Could someone explain that?

Consumer Reports recommends all of the mini vans, except for the Pacifica.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, I don't believe any data for a vehicle that is 1 year old only, it's to early to tell if a vehicle is reliable or not.

After 4 to 6 years then I will believe the data, otherwise it's to early to tell. Also it's the first year of a new gen, which seems like every vehicle that is a new gen has it's fair share of minor issues.
To be fair, they are grading "predicted" reliability for the '21/'22 models, not confirmed reliability. Not entirely sure what use that is, because like you say you won't know for sure until vehicles of that generation start hitting 100,000+ miles. It's just an educated guess at this point.

CR uses three factors to determine "predicted" reliability: (1) the history of the manufacturer's reliability with that type of vehicle, (2) the reliability of the previous generation of that vehicle, and (3) the reliability of other vehicles that share components. So in this case, CR is grading the 21 Sienna based off of Toyota's reputation (1), the reliability of the Gen3 Sienna (2), and (3) the reliability of shared components with the Highlander Hybrid.

That seems fair I guess, but I still think the grades don't exactly add up. Personally, when I think of reliability, I am most interested in the powertrain - and CR gave the 21 Sienna glowing marks. I don't really care that the interior is squeak-free if the engine is broken.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Toyota's overall reliability has been slipping for about 15 years. If I had to buy new today, I'd buy Mazda. I have an 02 Sienna
in nearly perfect condition, garage kept, low mileage I will never part with. It's beautiful two tone. Toyota even cut that cost. The
best Toyota's were late 80's to about 2005. After that, zoom downhill. Just look at C/R and all the problems I read about out here
with new Sienna's. Profits and sales became more important then quality. Sucks but true.
Consumer Reports has Toyota as the 3rd ranked brand for reliability. Lexus is 1, Mazda 2. Obviously Lexus is Toyota, and a luck would have it Mazda and Toyota have a strategic partnership to build crossovers and hybrid crossovers for the American market (see shared plant in Huntsville, Alabama).

I’m sure your 20 year old Sienna is nice, but let’s not just ignore the reliability and success of the Camry, RAV4, Tacoma, Tundra, Sienna, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and Prius, all of which have nearly bulletproof models post 2005. As a long time Toyota truck enthusiast I have to laugh at your comment about newer Yotas. I loved my T100 but that thing was a hunk of junk compared to newer Tacos and Tundys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts