Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2022 XLE 8
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

CR updated its reliability data and rankings today. Sienna now gets an above average reliability rating as well as a higher road test score (84 vs 80 last year), likely due to the standard 2nd row side airbags.

Carnival, Odyssey, and Pacifica saw lower road test scores compared to last year. The vehicles are basically unchanged, I don't know what else they did to the update score other than give the Odyssey a point to for dropping the LX, thus making BSW standard.

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Pacifica PHEV's mpge makes me wonder .... if the RAV4 Prime clocks 94, shouldn't something Pacifica's size get 70-80?

Glad the Sienna has gone up, but the Carnival hasn't sold more than 50K copies in 2021-2022 (vs. close to 200K SIennas), so not sure how "predicted reliability" can be calculated with so much certainty.

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
But given how much complaints we get about the "underpowered" Sienna hybrid drivetrain, and how much better supposedly the V6's from competitors, isn't it interesting that they all basically have the same 0-60 (within margin of error)?
I think the combination of the rubbery acceleration and the droning engine noise makes some drivers feel that Sienna's powertrain is weak and noisy. Everyone who began driving in the 20th century will remember that around 200 hp was considered pretty normal for the typical minivans (and pickup trucks) only 20-25 years ago, and it's not like everyone was late all the time :).

· Registered
635 Posts
I wonder if this is because the Sienna hybrid is the heaviest?
I would think tires would make the biggest difference. Toyota probably selected lower rolling resistance tires to eek out the best fuel economy numbers, as that's the biggest selling point of the Sienna.

Get power stop.
I doubt the braking distance (on a single run test, as these numbers are) is limited by the brakes. The brakes are certainly strong enough to lock up the brakes and activate ABS, at which point stronger brakes won't do anything to help stop faster. For repeated braking and avoiding heat fade, that's another story.

· Registered
847 Posts

· Registered
1,228 Posts
But given how much complaints we get about the "underpowered" Sienna hybrid drivetrain, and how much better supposedly the V6's from competitors, isn't it interesting that they all basically have the same 0-60 (within margin of error)?
Wonder if this is with just driver or other passengers/cargo as expected better numbers from Honda and Kia.

Like how the Chinese minivan comparison showed merging with passengers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts