Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE with 70K miles. I've had regular oil changes since I purchased it used in 2018. My question...Last 2 oil changes were over $100. To me, that's crazy money for an oil change. It's not at the dealer, it's at two different local car repair places. They tell me the Sienna takes a special type of synthetic oil, which is why it costs so much.

Are they telling me the truth, or should I run from these places? Thx.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't know where you are located but here in S Florida, synthetic oil (0W20) change for the Sienna runs 79.99 at all dealerships and with promotions, it is often 54.99 or 59.99 plus tax.

Sienna takes in 6.4 Quarts and if you DIY, then it costs around $37 without any promotions/discounts. Both Mobil1 and Pennzoil runs promos through out the year and you end up halving and in some cases paying almost nothing for oil. Filters are around $5, so 30 minutes pf your time and for less than 10 bucks, you change the oil with the satisfaction that it was done right.
e.g Shell is cutrently running a promo until Feb 23rd with $22 back as a GC for 5Qts of Pennzoil Ultra synthetic which is around $22.xx at wallymart.

$100+ is surely on the higher side for an indie shop so either DIY or shop around for a reliable honest place for what you are willing to pay.

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
Remember when a basic oil change at a local 'quick lube' shop was $29.95? Even many Toyota dealers would match that with mailer coupons and a dedicated quick change lane. Well, it was tough for anyone to make a buck at those rates, so the hype over synthetic oil became a great excuse to more than double that price.

One thing I've noticed, at least in my neck of the woods. Conventional oil is in bulk tanks, and they deliver it to the vehicle by hose with a dial volume (number of quarts) control. Synthetic oil, despite the amount they are using which grows substantially every year, is still brought to your car in bottles! The shop is paying a disproportionately higher price for the product, and thus so are you. I'm sure this is different at Toyota dealers, but the small guys seem to be slow to upgrade their distribution systems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because of the 'eco-friendly' oil filter it takes longer to do the job than a screw-on type filter most people are familiar with. That costs you more.

Not saying $100 is fair but neither is the regular rate fair to the shop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would run away from that oil change place. All 0w-20 is Synthetic Oil. 5 Gallon Jugs of Mobil 1 0w-20 is regular price $25 at Walmart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2011 XLE 121k, Columbus Ohio, full synthetic service @ Valvoline Instant Oil Change down the street cost me about $90 last October.

This included an “excess oil requirement surcharge” (about a quart over their menu package max) and I assume a few extra pennies for babysitting the new oil filter in the bay for several mins with the motor running. They told me once why it’s necessary, I forget.

I’ve gone to about 9-10 months between oil changes now so the 90 clams for someone to do all the dirty work and bring the van fluids, tires, etc back to specs is tolerable for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
$70-80 at dealers here with coupon in SF bay area, without coupon it is over $100. It is synthetic and uses over 5 qts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would urge you to do the job yourself and use the finest 0w20 oil you can find; I order several Toyota OE oil filter cartridges off amazon and get my oil on sale. If you want someone else to do your dirty work, remember, you now have ZERO way of knowing if the oil filter cartridge was changed. My trips to Quick Lube with my 2006, I marked the external filter and sure enough, the markings were still there when I picked up the car. Even still, they tried to claim that they had changed the filter (with my date marking on the supposed "new filter") If you take it to Walmart, you will get the best price. & Walmart almost always changes the filter I don't know about the new models with cartridges, I do those changes myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I my neck of the woods in NE Michigan, I take my 2012 LE to the dealership for a oil change and "inspection" that normally runs $55 - $60. A couple of years ago, we had to have one done in Maryland south of DC and they charged us $76 with a military discount!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I avoid oil change places. Brought my Vette for state inspection at the lube place. The kid checked the oil and said it was dry. I told him it’s a dry sump motor and he didn’t know what a dry sump motor is. No way would I let them change my oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Costco now sells their Kirkland brand of synthetic oil. I haven't used any yet, but the next time I need to change it, that is what I'm using.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I do my own oil changes. I am all in for just over $14. i get the 0w-20 in bulk and the toyota filters at cost. And the peace of mine that the kid at the dealer didn't strip my drain plug or leave it loose... :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
Price is very subjective and means different to different folks,

All I'll say is that if you are paying 75 - 80% of the dealership cost to an Indie for something minor as an oil change then have it done at the dealership. At-least you'll know that the oil and filter was changed and screws torqued right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Costco had a sale of Kirkland 0w20 5qt jugs, 2 jugs for $25. Now is 2 jugs for $30 still a bargain. Walmart Super Tech full synthetic 0w20 5qt jug about $15.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my dealer charges around $75cdn (~$57usd) for synthetic oil change, it's a loss leader here to stay somewhat competitive with local shops.
doing it as my van is still under warranty, i usually do my own oil changes after on my own but for the price and convenience I'll just keep taking the van in lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE with 70K miles. I've had regular oil changes since I purchased it used in 2018. My question...Last 2 oil changes were over $100. To me, that's crazy money for an oil change. It's not at the dealer, it's at two different local car repair places. They tell me the Sienna takes a special type of synthetic oil, which is why it costs so much.

Are they telling me the truth, or should I run from these places? Thx.
I get my oil changes at the local Toyota dealer. They often have coupons. They also let me bring my own oil, which they then deduct from the final price. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 from Walmart, where it sells for $27 For five quarts.
The dealer has bagels and coffee and will drive customers to the train and pick them up.
The cost is about $13, not including my oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I change my own oil,using AMSOIL 5-30 Signature,which is best synthetic on tne market.Cost fo oil using my account online at $20.00 annual,at $11.00 quart,and K & N Filter($16.00).and it is goog for 25000 miles.Amsoil stands behind their products.Have used in fleet service sincs1996.

·
Registered
15 Posts
for the DYI - I've seen somewhere that you can put on a spigot of sorts to make the job easier. I haven't attempted an oil change on my '06 yet, but I'm leaning towards it. I pay under $30 and again, it includes a once over on the vehicle so it ends up being a "just let them look at the rest of it" type of thing for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts