Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the thinking behind using different weight oil than what the manual recommends, e.g. AMSOIL 5-30, Mobil 1 0W-40?

Are those of you who posted these oil types putting it in 2nd gen Siennas? My 3rd gen takes 0-20, for all seasons and temps it appears. I'm inclined to trust Toyota on this..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lighter weight oil is better on gas, but go with your climate. I'll probably never go below 5w30 just because it suits the climate where I live just fine.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's probably a Fumoto Valve, or similar, referred to above, on the drain plug. One still must change the filter, which, in my experience, is messier than the oil drain.

It comes down to whether you can/wish to change the oil and filter yourself, or if the process and the disposal is worth paying for. Changing your own oil is much less expensive, on the order of $20-$30 per change, if you have a nearby facility to accept the waste oil and filter. To many owners, for many reasons, it's preferable to pay for the oil service and avoid the waste products; think time/money/convenience.

Viscosity will be an eternal topic of debate. Personally, I'll be sticking with 0W-20 and 0W-30 weights, but based on foreign manual/oil specs, I doubt that a 10W-40 or 20W-50 will seize your engine. Gee, my new Prius specs 0W-16, and 0W-8 is coming!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've changed the oil in my trucks myself (1985 Nissan PU, 1988 4runner, 2000 4runner) for many years, preferring to spend the funds on synthetic oil and good filters. But it can be a messy job, and more complex on some newer vehicles due to access issues, e.g. our 2006 Outback and 2017 Prius. But watching that video, I think I can handle oil changes on our Sienna with minimal mess and fuss, and will likely do so to save $$.

RE viscosity, I used to tailor winter and summer oil to the temps, especially when living at 7000' in Flagstaff AZ where winter temps could be way below freezing, or even below zero and summer trips to Phoenix were into temps of 110 or more. But Oregon has much more benign temp swings. Unless we have a big summer road trip planned, I'll probably just stick with the recommended 0-20, but run synthetic.

·
Registered
386 Posts
for the DYI - I've seen somewhere that you can put on a spigot of sorts to make the job easier.
That spigot of sorts is the Fumoto valve 🙂 I have had it on our Sienna since my 1st DIY which was 65K miles ago. This is the oone for the Sienna Fumoto 103S
Makes the job clean and quick. It was recommended by someone on this board and i am glad I took it

·
Registered
6 Posts
It comes down to whether you can/wish to change the oil and filter yourself, or if the process and the disposal is worth paying for. Changing your own oil is much less expensive, on the order of $20-$30 per change, if you have a nearby facility to accept the waste oil and filter. To many owners, for many reasons, it's preferable to pay for the oil service and avoid the waste products; think time/money/convenience.
Personally, it is more convenient to change the oil myself. It takes longer to drive to the dealer and wait there for an oil change than it does for me to do it myself. Disposing of old oil is easy because where I live any place that sells oil is required to accept used oil. When I buy fresh oil I drop off the old oil. I also know the job was done right.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, from start to finish an oil change takes me about 20 minutes including the clean up time. Also, saves a lot of money and I choose the oil to use. Mobil1 0w-20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 are both around $23 for 5 quarts at Wal-mart ($12 often with the rebates) and they also sell the OEM Toyota filter for about $5 as well. All in all, costs about $30 on average and takes 20 minutes. Like AI_NYC said, all oil sellers where I live take back used oil, and I just drop the used oil off when I go to buy new oil. It usually takes me less time to change the oil myself than to just the time to drive to the dealer, and I know its actually done right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
👆(y)(y). Last week I did it and put in the fumoto short one as mentioned above. Dont forget buy the L elbow to make it much easier and cleaner. Connet a hose to it, than u can drain it into a bottle etc....
About the oil from filter, buy mobil1 or amsoil one because the plastic drainer is better constructed than others style. If you want to stay with the regular style, buy motivx oil drainer like I did. So, I have an extra plastic drainer from my mobile 1. Maybe the oil drips just couple of them IF you do it properly!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts