Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this van and it had a bullseye crack in the windshield. Well, I bought a repair kit but the crack spread before it warmed up enough to repair it.
I've used Safelite glass in the past and was not satisfied with the quality, it pitted much easier than OEM glass.
Is there an opinion on better quality glass and/or has anyone bought an OEM glass from a salvage yard for replacement and how'd that go?
OEM glass from Toyota is over $1000 and that's just too expensive!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just bought this van and it had a bullseye crack in the windshield. Well, I bought a repair kit but the crack spread before it warmed up enough to repair it.
I've used Safelite glass in the past and was not satisfied with the quality, it pitted much easier than OEM glass.
Is there an opinion on better quality glass and/or has anyone bought an OEM glass from a salvage yard for replacement and how'd that go?
OEM glass from Toyota is over $1000 and that's just too expensive!
Unfortunately, there are ONLY 3 options for front and back windshields. Dealer, salvage or after-market. Depending on the price, the after-market places very likely are getting the glass from salvage and polishing it smooth and clear, which is probably why your last one pitted so quickly. My only experience with salvage windshields is second hand. If I were to go the salvage route, I would opt for a place that pulls it for you. It's more expensive, but I've heard it's a huge pain to get the old windshield out without damage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, there are ONLY 3 options for front and back windshields. Dealer, salvage or after-market. Depending on the price, the after-market places very likely are getting the glass from salvage and polishing it smooth and clear, which is probably why your last one pitted so quickly. My only experience with salvage windshields is second hand. If I were to go the salvage route, I would opt for a place that pulls it for you. It's more expensive, but I've heard it's a huge pain to get the old windshield out without damage.
Yes, you have to have a couple special tools to remove a windshield. Looking at the Toyota illustrated parts breakdown it appears the windshield seal is only sold as part of the windshield, you can't buy it separately so removal would have to be very careful. Best done by someone with experience. My last windshield was from Safelite. They only sell new windshields, and I've had the same results with 2 windshields on different vehicles...their glass just isn't as good as OEM.

I wonder if anyone has used a different glass manufacturer and how did their windshield hold up?

A clean windshield is high priority for me because I drive East in the morning and a windshield with pits and wiper blade wear is very hard to see thru because these imperfections causes the light to reflect sideways thru the glass causing a white-out. With clear glass it's a whole different thing, you can be driving right into a rising sun and see very clearly.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There's probably another glass company around. Don't go used. The glass is the cheapest part. I replace my own so, to me, a broken windshield is a minor inconvenience. You could stop in at a used car dealership and ask who does their windshields. For a couple bucks, they might even let you have it replaced there the next time the glass man comes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's probably another glass company around. Don't go used. The glass is the cheapest part. I replace my own so, to me, a broken windshield is a minor inconvenience. You could stop in at a used car dealership and ask who does their windshields. For a couple bucks, they might even let you have it replaced there the next time the glass man comes.
Did some research and found Plinkington is the OEM manufacturer. Glass guy I deal with quoted me $275 so that takes care of that!

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,239 Posts
I busted my windshield last year when I was repairing a slight leak in the valley. Safelite installed a new one for me. The tech busted his chops removing the original. Man was it hard to remove. Here is what was put on. I'm in S.Fla. You will have to provide your VIN . This way they can tell if there is a heater lower side of windshield. Mine did
CCA11EA1-1FAE-445B-A47C-C7B4B80A60FA.jpeg
not on my 06LE

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had two windshields replaced on on our 2004. My local independent installer used Pilkington on the Sienna. I noticed our Camry has Toyota Pilkington on the windshield, and I am pleased pleased with them. The windshield usually runs about $300.00 removed and installed in our driveway or garage depending on the weather. No complaints.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I busted my windshield last year when I was repairing a slight leak in the valley. Safelite installed a new one for me. The tech busted his chops removing the original. Man was it hard to remove. Here is what was put on. I'm in S.Fla. You will have to provide your VIN . This way they can tell if there is a heater lower side of windshield. Mine did View attachment 48818 not on my 06LE
Thanks for that. Just called the installer to verify the proper P/N, we're good to go.
I always love getting new windshields!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked at the windshield I installed on my 99 Sienna a couple years ago. It's a PGW Pittsburgh glass works. It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
I was skimming thru websites and found an article on PPG/PGW, and how they were turning out defective (wavy) glass. Would have to do a lot of back tracking to find it but I chose to go with another manufacturer. The installer actually had a PPG windshield in stock, of course I passed on it.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna AWD
146 Posts
I had a fuyao glass installed on 2010 a few years ago, I had many rocks fly on the windshield and not chip.

But of course it cracked a few days ago. Lasted me a good 4 yrs possibly more

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a fuyao glass installed on 2010 a few years ago, I had many rocks fly on the windshield and not chip.

But of course it cracked a few days ago. Lasted me a good 4 yrs possibly more
I doubt if Safelite glass could endure that. But anyway IIRC fuyao and Plinkington are associated with each other but I can't remember in what capacity.

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
891 Posts
When I had Safelite replace the windshield on my Fusion, I asked if they could use OEM and they did. They charged a bit more but it was Ford OEM glass.
Not sure if that's an option for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I had Safelite replace the windshield on my Fusion, I asked if they could use OEM and they did. They charged a bit more but it was Ford OEM glass.
Not sure if that's an option for you.
When they've done my glass I didn't know that was an option, but I started dealing with a local small business here who does a great job so I'll continue to support them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am having the 4th windshield replaced on Wednesday . I have been using Safelite but this time I am going with a different company , cause I think the safelite glass must be defective the 3rd one and just from a car tossing up a little gravel pea gravel at the most.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am having the 4th windshield replaced on Wednesday . I have been using Safelite but this time I am going with a different company , cause I think the safelite glass must be defective the 3rd one and just from a car tossing up a little gravel pea gravel at the most.
The last Safelite glass I had got pitted so easily I was very surprised and it's not like I was driving thru sand storms or something.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My windshield problems are from having rusty old vehicles. Body flex or metal touching the edge. Except for my Chevy pickup. It has nothing below the hinges holding the door up. Thank heaven the windshield is mounted in rubber. If it ever broke the cab would drop 4 inches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My windshield problems are from having rusty old vehicles. Body flex or metal touching the edge. Except for my Chevy pickup. It has nothing below the hinges holding the door up. Thank heaven the windshield is mounted in rubber. If it ever broke the cab would drop 4 inches.
I've found that aluminum duct tape and rivets are good for holding rusted frames together. If they're really bad you can jam 2x4's under there held by RTV Grey. You don't want to use wood glue, ask me how I know...And you don't want to do a Dukes of Hazzard jump...or load up more than 2 people, but yeah, try it some time!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts