Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Chad

The kit came with an L bracket that you could mount to the hitch by either drilling screw holes and attaching directly, or by using a metal extender bracket and clamp (I have attached an example of the later). I dont believe the kit included the extender but it definately included the L bracket.

I didnt like the look of that and opted for a closed housing (image attached) which you can see more detail on through the following link
http://www.etrailer.com/p-18159.html
I really liked the look and its only 10 bucks (I found mine at a local Uhaul store actually so I saved shipping).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
- UPDATE -
My modulite unit failed sometime in the past month. I noticed that my trailers left turn light was very very faint when signalling compared to the right... and the tail lights didnt come on when I turned on the vans lights anymore. I figured it was a ground problem (90% of all dim or failed lighting is related to poor grounding in my experience) but after tracing all the wiring in the trailer I found nothing obvious. I quickly rigged up a test kit with 2 old trailer lights I had in the basement.... and found they exhibited the same behaviour... so the trailer was not at fault.

I then started testing the connections on plug, various spots in the wiring and could see no problem.. so I reluctantly cut the modulite out and went down to my test bench. Sure enough.... powering just the modulite off a 12V source I was able to see the same problem with the test rig

I didn't originally buy the Modulite-HD and I didnt order from e-trailers as I had planned (found my old modulite at a U-haul center nearby) so I decided I should do what I had originally planned and ordered the modulite-HD from eTrailers. when it arrives I might replace my wiring box as well (its pretty crammed having now completed the job, I think I could simplify the wiring and make it look cleaner and less scary for people thinking about doing the same thing... plus I found a good electronics supply store in town with better hobby kit boxes I could use). Will post some pics when done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All FYI - for a 2011 XLE, the hitch installation process described above works perfect. Except for a plastic air dam that didn't exist in the Gen II Sienna's, this same hitch and its bolt locations works fine. See other threads for Gen III installation tips.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts