Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Ltd
11 Posts
Anyone install this yet?
I had the Toyota dashcam installed by the dealer. Apparently it was their first install in the region so I got charged the extra labor hours for their just in time training on my dime. labor was nearly as much as the dash cam was. it has no display on it so you download the app on your mobile device and connect to it. Did come with a small microsd card that I upgraded to a larger size. The camera is your typical 1080p 30 or 60 FPS recording 2 minute files. Quality is ok. Plates are somewhat difficult to read with the bright headlights reflecting off of it at night, though this is similar to other highly rated dashcams as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think this is a very nice dashcam for the money. You see the review here. He also review the 2021 Sienna and the other dashcam from the same company.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
180 Posts
I have a DDPAI Mini3 I transferred over from my
last car and with a ball and socket mount it sits right under the sensor so it is almost invisible from the inside and out. The other benefit of having it tucked under is it is protected from direct sunlight, doesn’t interfere with sun shade, and it acts like a shade. Don’t need shots of the sky, so it also helps the exposure since the camera doesn’t have to expose for the bright sky and dark asphalt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a DDPAI Mini3 I transferred over from my
last car and with a ball and socket mount it sits right under the sensor so it is almost invisible from the inside and out. The other benefit of having it tucked under is it is protected from direct sunlight, doesn’t interfere with sun shade, and it acts like a shade. Don’t need shots of the sky, so it also helps the exposure since the camera doesn’t have to expose for the bright sky and dark asphalt.
Can you please upload a pic? How are you powering it? Through the mirror wire harness or did you run a cord to your fuse box?

If anyone else has any installed an OEM or after market cam, tips and pics would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
96 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I want to hard wire it in the fuse box, plug it in via an adapter in the overhead light section or leave as is. I currently have it plugged into the outlet under the centre counsel but I don't like seeing the wires. It was pretty easy to hide the cable except for the last 6" or so at the bottom. I also don't like the fact that the plug gets hit when you throw something in the bottom storage area.

Attachments

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
394 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I want to hard wire it in the fuse box, plug it in via an adapter in the overhead light section or leave as is. I currently have it plugged into the outlet under the centre counsel but I don't like seeing the wires. It was pretty easy to hide the cable except for the last 6" or so at the bottom. I also don't like the fact that the plug gets hit when you throw something in the bottom storage area.
Nice. I need to do this too.

FWIW, 12V splitter (or just an extension) like one below might be a little bit more sturdy than the smaller plug. Only reason I know about splitter is because I had to use it in my old car with only one 12V outlet. I wish there was at lest one more 12V somewhere else. I know there are plenty of USB outlets so it is OK as is. Our other small car has total 3. One of them is in the Glovebox that I have used for the dashcam.

BTW, TIL that the rubber mat under the bridge comes out like floor mats. If you still have enough slack, you can run that last 6 inches under it and then along the edge going up.

Also, USB A 90 degree Right Angle adopters may help reduce the stick out. Looks like they are selling them in pairs since USB A is not reversible, and many people may have been returning them when they see that one they got goes in the wrong direction ;). However, for rotating plug like 12v, it makes no difference unless your adopter has 2 USB A outputs.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
96 Posts
Nice. I need to do this too.

FWIW, 12V splitter like one below might put up to things being thrown at better than the smaller plugs. Only reason I know about it is because I had to use it in my old car with only one outlet. I can't imagine why Toyota gives you only one. Our other small car has total 3. One of them is in the Glovebox that I have used for the dashcam.

BTW, TIL that the rubber mat under the bridge comes out like floor mats. If you still have enough slack, you can run that last 6 inches under it along the edge going up too.

I wanted to run it under the mat but I didn't have enough length. My install is pretty clean but I'm only 90% happy so I'm going to look into other options like the obd port, hardwire to fuse or the adapter that can possibly plug into the overhead light area. I installed this a few months back and figure I'll take the time to do an even better job once the weather is warmer.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
394 Posts
I wanted to run it under the mat but I didn't have enough length. My install is pretty clean but I'm only 90% happy so I'm going to look into other options like the obd port, hardwire to fuse or the adapter that can possibly plug into the overhead light area. I installed this a few months back and figure I'll take the time to do an even better job once the weather is warmer.
I edited my original post and put some notes about USB Right angle adopters. I should have just made a new post instead.

Anyways, I am not sure if you saw my edited post or not. One of the adopter comes with an 8Inch extension.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Genuine Toyota Integrated Dash Cam - Edited!

I received my Toyota Integrated Dash Cam that is depicted in the 2021 Sienna brochure - the Toyota Part # for the Cam: PT949-08210 the wiring harness IS NOT required for Sienna! I am not promoting this particular Cam, as has been discussed in this thread there are other Cams that are perhaps a better value with enhanced features/performance. But I wanted to get this info out there in case it might help others who are interested. I have not installed it yet, but have reviewed the installation instructions and it is easily within the means of a DIY installer to do in under 1 hour. IMHO a dealer should offer to install it for the cost of the cam - if part of a new vehicle sale. My dealer didn't even offer to sell it to me so I ordered it online.

Install / Consideration Points:
  • The wiring harness is plug n'play with factory supplied connectors (no cutting, splicing, etc.), the cam itself does NOT operate off a standard mini/micro USB interface - hence the wiring harness is required. Was hoping the harness might have a USB interface - and could be used stand-alone for others to install a non-Toyota Cam.
  • The wiring harness is robust, tape wrapped and double fused - of very high quality. PS: it uses 10 pin connectors NOT 12 pin that has been discussed earlier in this thread with respect to a Tacoma install. The Cam and Harness shares a fitment with Venza, but the harness is NOT REQUIRED for Sienna.
  • The Cam connector plugs directly into the blue connector indicated in the attached instructions. Which means there is likely an appropriate power source in the connector to wire in a USB adapter for those wanting to tap this for a non-Toyota cam - I don't have my Sienna to test with a volt meter to see what is there.
  • The install requires no specialized tools or wiring runs other than bundling the excess harness lengths, zip-tying them, and placing inside the headliner near map light and door switch console - pics in Stingray250's post #15.
  • The Cam housing itself is very well designed has a distinctive quality feel and heft, it has some built-in ventilation slots, and well marked buttons - it looks like a factory device.
  • The box the Cam comes in has a label affixed that says: "ATTENTION - the installation instructions for this accessory are on the electronic Toyota Information System (TIS). Please see your dealer for a copy." When requesting the copy indicate your installation is for a 2021 Sienna. It is an e-mailable PDF document with pictures.
  • The instructions do specify disconnecting the 12V battery prior to installing - not sure if this step is a "just in case", or if this effects a re-boot/initialization to setup communication with the Sienna and Cam, but I'll follow that part as it's easy to do and a reasonable precaution.
  • I have attached the install instructions PDF for reference to those interested.
  • Anyone have a need for a PT949-48210 wiring harness kit for a Venza install - LOL.
If I find any tips/tricks from the actual install - I'll try to share those back with this thread - but my install won't be until my Sienna arrives about the 5th of May.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Genuine Toyota Integrated Dash Cam - Edited!

I received my Toyota Integrated Dash Cam that is depicted in the 2021 Sienna brochure - the Toyota Part # for the Cam: PT949-08210 the wiring harness IS NOT required for Sienna! I am not promoting this particular Cam, as has been discussed in this thread there are other Cams that are perhaps a better value with enhanced features/performance. But I wanted to get this info out there in case it might help others who are interested. I have not installed it yet, but have reviewed the installation instructions and it is easily within the means of a DIY installer to do in under 1 hour. IMHO a dealer should offer to install it for the cost of the cam - if part of a new vehicle sale. My dealer didn't even offer to sell it to me so I ordered it online.

Install / Consideration Points:
  • The wiring harness is plug n'play with factory supplied connectors (no cutting, splicing, etc.), the cam itself does NOT operate off a standard mini/micro USB interface - hence the wiring harness is required. Was hoping the harness might have a USB interface - and could be used stand-alone for others to install a non-Toyota Cam.
  • The wiring harness is robust, tape wrapped and double fused - of very high quality. PS: it uses 10 pin connectors NOT 12 pin that has been discussed earlier in this thread with respect to a Tacoma install. The Cam and Harness shares a fitment with Venza, but the harness is NOT REQUIRED for Sienna.
  • The Cam connector plugs directly into the blue connector indicated in the attached instructions. Which means there is likely an appropriate power source in the connector to wire in a USB adapter for those wanting to tap this for a non-Toyota cam - I don't have my Sienna to test with a volt meter to see what is there.
  • The install requires no specialized tools or wiring runs other than bundling the excess harness lengths, zip-tying them, and placing inside the headliner near map light and door switch console - pics in Stingray250's post #15.
  • The Cam housing itself is very well designed has a distinctive quality feel and heft, it has some built-in ventilation slots, and well marked buttons - it looks like a factory device.
  • The box the Cam comes in has a label affixed that says: "ATTENTION - the installation instructions for this accessory are on the electronic Toyota Information System (TIS). Please see your dealer for a copy." When requesting the copy indicate your installation is for a 2021 Sienna. It is an e-mailable PDF document with pictures.
  • The instructions do specify disconnecting the 12V battery prior to installing - not sure if this step is a "just in case", or if this effects a re-boot/initialization to setup communication with the Sienna and Cam, but I'll follow that part as it's easy to do and a reasonable precaution.
  • I have attached the install instructions PDF for reference to those interested.
  • Anyone have a need for a PT949-48210 wiring harness kit for a Venza install - LOL.
If I find any tips/tricks from the actual install - I'll try to share those back with this thread - but my install won't be until my Sienna arrives about the 5th of May.
tyvm for this!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can our tiny 12v battery handle hard wiring if the car is left unused for 2 days (weekend)? I know its capacity is less than the non hybrid 12v battery as it only power up the traction battery on start up. Im planning to buy the viofo a139 3ch and i'm having second thoughts on hardwiring it because of this issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seeing @BearInStPete's guide on installing the OEM cam, I may end up getting it just for the look and clean install even for the hefty price and probably not that much better compared to the rest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Exactly how I have mine... except I have my Garmin Mini Dash Cam on the other side of the rear view mirror.... Now I have to map out how to do the dash cam for the rear.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can our tiny 12v battery handle hard wiring if the car is left unused for 2 days (weekend)? I know its capacity is less than the non hybrid 12v battery as it only power up the traction battery on start up. Im planning to buy the viofo a139 3ch and i'm having second thoughts on hardwiring it because of this issue.
Most of the better dash cams have battery monitoring circuity that monitors the voltage while it is surveillance mode and will shut it off before draining the 12V battery to a level not able to start the care. The Toyota OEM cam has this as well. So while the battery on the Sienna is not designed to crank engines, in good condition, it should power a cam in surveillance mode for several days without issue. I would probably not leave it plugged in for over a week parked at an airport though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@BearInStPete did you just order the camera from your dealer or somewhere else?
I ordered it from a dealer in Chicago, it seems that many dealers participate in an online store that offers discounts off MSRP for parts & accessories that can range from 0-15% off and various forms of reduced cost shipping for certain size orders. The cam has an MSRP of $299, but you should be able to find it in the 10-15% off plus free shipping price point. Most of these same dealers say that the pricing is "on-line" only. Just be careful that many of the sites will suggest the Venza wiring harness is required because the public facing parts fitment system is not up to speed with 21 Sienna, and the cam was first promoted for the Venza.

I did this, because all the sites indicated the wiring harness was necessary, and the Dealer in Chicago caption it as for Venza and Sienna, bundled with the wiring harness because it was required. So when I got the cam, and requested the install guide - it was for a Venza. I wrote my original post thinking the Sienna install was going to be similar (requiring the wiring harness), but called the dealer back and asked if there was instructions for the Sienna. Then I got them by email and carefully read them - NO wiring harness required as it was a direct plug in the the blue connecter there for that purpose! So I did the strike-through edit on my post so that those who saw the original would figure it out.

So at the end of the day, an OK cam, that looks like a factory items, with a simple plug n'play install for mid $200s I thought was a good value. But those with your Siennas can put a volt meter on the leads of the blue connector and I suspect that this is at least an always hot 12V, ignition switched 12V and a ground in that connector - an easy wire-up for any aftermarket cam - but will require some cutting and splicing of wires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@BearInStPete - can you tell me how many pins for the blue male connector (not-in-used connector tucked under the overhead console) used to connect the OEM dash cam? Someone earlier on mentioned 12 pins, but that doesn't look like one based on the size. Might be wrong, but would be great to get a confirmation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ordered it from a dealer in Chicago, it seems that many dealers participate in an online store that offers discounts off MSRP for parts & accessories that can range from 0-15% off and various forms of reduced cost shipping for certain size orders. The cam has an MSRP of $299, but you should be able to find it in the 10-15% off plus free shipping price point. Most of these same dealers say that the pricing is "on-line" only. Just be careful that many of the sites will suggest the Venza wiring harness is required because the public facing parts fitment system is not up to speed with 21 Sienna, and the cam was first promoted for the Venza.

I did this, because all the sites indicated the wiring harness was necessary, and the Dealer in Chicago caption it as for Venza and Sienna, bundled with the wiring harness because it was required. So when I got the cam, and requested the install guide - it was for a Venza. I wrote my original post thinking the Sienna install was going to be similar (requiring the wiring harness), but called the dealer back and asked if there was instructions for the Sienna. Then I got them by email and carefully read them - NO wiring harness required as it was a direct plug in the the blue connecter there for that purpose! So I did the strike-through edit on my post so that those who saw the original would figure it out.

So at the end of the day, an OK cam, that looks like a factory items, with a simple plug n'play install for mid $200s I thought was a good value. But those with your Siennas can put a volt meter on the leads of the blue connector and I suspect that this is at least an always hot 12V, ignition switched 12V and a ground in that connector - an easy wire-up for any aftermarket cam - but will require some cutting and splicing of wires.
How is the quality of the dash cam?

21 - 40 of 99 Posts