Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
@BearInStPete - can you tell me how many pins for the blue male connector (not-in-used connector tucked under the overhead console) used to connect the OEM dash cam? Someone earlier on mentioned 12 pins, but that doesn't look like one based on the size. Might be wrong, but would be great to get a confirmation.
I don't have my Sienna yet, from the cam side the connector is 5 pin female only 3 wired - see 2nd pic below. My strong educated guess, based upon features present in the OM for the Cam, one lead is ground, one is always on 12V, one is ignition switched 12V - 12V verified by operating voltage from label on back of cam. BUT I don't have a means to verify this without my Sienna. The actual blue connector in the van may have more leads actually wired. If you have a voltmeter and your Sienna test it and post your results.

PS - definitely not 12 pin, that was started by someone referencing an install on a Tacoma connecting to the rear view mirror connector using a third party adaptor - good intentions but incorrect noise in the thread.

·
Registered
209 Posts
How is the quality of the dash cam?
Cannot comment yet as I won't have it installed until sometime after 5/5. The spec is a 2MP cam, it does have GPS, time/date stamping, and unattended surveillance modes, and low voltage protection circuitry, and a flashing red LED visible through windshield indicating surveillance mode operation. It also comes with a 16GB memory card, the instructions suggest it will only support up to a 32GB card - fairly small by today's standards, but it is operating at 2MP. The companion smartphone app manages settings and can accomplish firmware updates for the cam, and downloading of content.

PS - I would not dwell too much on the 2MP sensor, as the lens and apparent sensor size appears to be physically larger than some dash cams I've inspected - so the actual quality may be quite good and depending on the F-stop aperture and may work well for low light.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have my Sienna yet, from the cam side the connector is 5 pin female only 3 wired - see 2nd pic below. My strong educated guess, based upon features present in the OM for the Cam, one lead is ground, one is always on 12V, one is ignition switched 12V - 12V verified by operating voltage from label on back of cam. BUT I don't have a means to verify this without my Sienna. The actual blue connector in the van may have more leads actually wired. If you have a voltmeter and your Sienna test it and post your results.

PS - definitely not 12 pin, that was started by someone referencing an install on a Tacoma connecting to the rear view mirror connector using a third party adaptor - good intentions but incorrect noise in the thread.

View attachment 49865 View attachment 49866 ,
Thank you for this!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought the dash cam from the dealer parts department today. Was about $250. Installed it myself in about 10 minutes. Pull down the overhead console (with the map lights and door/moonroof switches) route the cable under the headliner and plug it into the connector that is sitting right there. Super simple. The instructions said to remove the casing from around the mirror but I can't figure out why! They were also for a Venza but even so it doesn't seem there was any reason.

edit: Yes the part number is PT949-08210 and yes they might tell you it is for a Venza. It is the correct part for the 21 Sienna and works perfectly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Genuine Toyota Integrated Dash Cam - Edited!

I received my Toyota Integrated Dash Cam that is depicted in the 2021 Sienna brochure - the Toyota Part # for the Cam: PT949-08210 the wiring harness IS NOT required for Sienna! I am not promoting this particular Cam, as has been discussed in this thread there are other Cams that are perhaps a better value with enhanced features/performance. But I wanted to get this info out there in case it might help others who are interested. I have not installed it yet, but have reviewed the installation instructions and it is easily within the means of a DIY installer to do in under 1 hour. IMHO a dealer should offer to install it for the cost of the cam - if part of a new vehicle sale. My dealer didn't even offer to sell it to me so I ordered it online.

Install / Consideration Points:
  • The wiring harness is plug n'play with factory supplied connectors (no cutting, splicing, etc.), the cam itself does NOT operate off a standard mini/micro USB interface - hence the wiring harness is required. Was hoping the harness might have a USB interface - and could be used stand-alone for others to install a non-Toyota Cam.
  • The wiring harness is robust, tape wrapped and double fused - of very high quality. PS: it uses 10 pin connectors NOT 12 pin that has been discussed earlier in this thread with respect to a Tacoma install. The Cam and Harness shares a fitment with Venza, but the harness is NOT REQUIRED for Sienna.
  • The Cam connector plugs directly into the blue connector indicated in the attached instructions. Which means there is likely an appropriate power source in the connector to wire in a USB adapter for those wanting to tap this for a non-Toyota cam - I don't have my Sienna to test with a volt meter to see what is there.
  • The install requires no specialized tools or wiring runs other than bundling the excess harness lengths, zip-tying them, and placing inside the headliner near map light and door switch console - pics in Stingray250's post #15.
  • The Cam housing itself is very well designed has a distinctive quality feel and heft, it has some built-in ventilation slots, and well marked buttons - it looks like a factory device.
  • The box the Cam comes in has a label affixed that says: "ATTENTION - the installation instructions for this accessory are on the electronic Toyota Information System (TIS). Please see your dealer for a copy." When requesting the copy indicate your installation is for a 2021 Sienna. It is an e-mailable PDF document with pictures.
  • The instructions do specify disconnecting the 12V battery prior to installing - not sure if this step is a "just in case", or if this effects a re-boot/initialization to setup communication with the Sienna and Cam, but I'll follow that part as it's easy to do and a reasonable precaution.
  • I have attached the install instructions PDF for reference to those interested.
  • Anyone have a need for a PT949-48210 wiring harness kit for a Venza install - LOL.
If I find any tips/tricks from the actual install - I'll try to share those back with this thread - but my install won't be until my Sienna arrives about the 5th of May.
Hi, can you please post the instructions for the venza as well. I have a venza and might install one if the steps are easy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought the dash cam from the dealer parts department today. Was about $250. Installed it myself in about 10 minutes. Pull down the overhead console (with the map lights and door/moonroof switches) route the cable under the headliner and plug it into the connector that is sitting right there. Super simple. The instructions said to remove the casing from around the mirror but I can't figure out why! They were also for a Venza but even so it doesn't seem there was any reason.

edit: Yes the part number is PT949-08210 and yes they might tell you it is for a Venza. It is the correct part for the 21 Sienna and works perfectly!

View attachment 49870 View attachment 49871
Do you have a picture showing where it is plugged in? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 49870 View attachment 49871
Could you please upload the instructions? I have a venza and am following this discussion to see if I can install it easily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry, I didn't take a picture with the console down. But it was the only unused connector up there and it fit right in

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could you please upload the instructions? I have a venza and am following this discussion to see if I can install it easily.
They will give you the directions with the part at the service department if you ask. I already recycled them. A lot of it was fluff though. (Disconnect the battery, cover the seats, etc) it's literally just plug and play. Couldn't be any simpler.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do they have any after market adapters for this yet for power through the mirror area using other dash cams, or only OEM option for this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do they have any after market adapters for this yet for power through the mirror area using other dash cams, or only OEM option for this?
I assume you could snip the conmector off and use the +/- leads to power anything you wanted. just use a multimeter to check the voltage.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
105 Posts
@gwbennett - Fantastic - thanks for giving us all the confidence.

After you have used this around town, in day/night, can you update us on the quality?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I assume you could snip the conmector off and use the +/- leads to power anything you wanted. just use a multimeter to check the voltage.

I hope there would be an aftermarket adapter with this that connects it to a female usb A plug

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I want to hard wire it in the fuse box, plug it in via an adapter in the overhead light section or leave as is. I currently have it plugged into the outlet under the centre counsel but I don't like seeing the wires. It was pretty easy to hide the cable except for the last 6" or so at the bottom. I also don't like the fact that the plug gets hit when you throw something in the bottom storage area.
Should there be any issue if the cover for the A-pillar is removed? because it has Airbag indicated on it.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts