Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Canada here. I'm lucky because i happened to get the cold weather package that came with a trickle charger, so at least my battery can be charge.

I have a 2022 XSE AWD. 12V battery refuses to start the van after 12 or 24 hours of sitting. I don't know what is draining the battery. I'm not leaving lights on, nothing is plugged into USB ports or Inverter ports, I lock the van by using the door handle sensors. I got rid of the Toyota connected app on my phone. I store the FOBS in a faraday box about 15 metres away from the van.

I've had it die six time now in the two months I've owned this.

Dealer has been no help. They say the battery died, and they charge it and give it back to me as if nothing happened. They say nothing shows up in diagnostics.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?
Am I supposed to elevate this to Toyota Canada corporate?

· Registered
389 Posts
I read somewhere in the forums with others having faulty batteries. Perhaps take it to your local auto parts dealer and do a battery load test? If it is not holding then take it to the dealer and ask them to replace the battery.

· Registered
256 Posts
It's possible the battery froze in transit and will never hold a charge again. The other possibility is a phantom drain. I had this issue on vehicle years ago. Turned out the gravity switch on the under hood light was stuck in the on position and the light was always on. Only way I found it was I saw a glow under the hood one night. Removed bulb, problem solved.

· Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,356 Posts
This shouldn't be happening. Your dealer needs to fix it - either the leak, or the battery, or both. A Couple of people here had mentioned that their brand new batteries needed replacements.

If there are other dealers nearby, try them.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Canada here. I'm lucky because i happened to get the cold weather package that came with a trickle charger, so at least my battery can be charge.

I have a 2022 XSE AWD. 12V battery refuses to start the van after 12 or 24 hours of sitting. I don't know what is draining the battery. I'm not leaving lights on, nothing is plugged into USB ports or Inverter ports, I lock the van by using the door handle sensors. I got rid of the Toyota connected app on my phone. I store the FOBS in a faraday box about 15 metres away from the van.

Dealer has been no help. They say the battery died, and they charge it and give it back to me as if nothing happened. They say nothing shows up in diagnostics.

I have the exact same problem. 2022 Sienna XSE FWD. I mistakenly left the vehicle on once (easy to do with hybrid engine), which depleted the 12V battery. After jump starting the vehicle, it seemed to be fine but depleted every time after leaving overnight in the garage. I brought it to my local Whitby dealer, informing them about the ECU diagnosis noted above. After running tests, they said that it was not the ECU module and proceeded to replace the 12V battery. After one week, I am back to the same problem again. Will bringing it to the dealership later today. Very frustrating!!!!

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
740 Posts
I have the exact same problem. 2022 Sienna XSE FWD. I mistakenly left the vehicle on once (easy to do with hybrid engine), which depleted the 12V battery.
Leaving the vehicle on should not deplete the 12 volt battery. The car is always charging the 12 volt battery when it is on (READY mode). Further, if you leave the car, there is a one hour timer that shuts off the car automatically unless you override it. The depleted battery probably resulted from some other event.

· Registered
7 Posts
After being at the dealer for two days (sending information from my vehicle's computer to Toyota Canada), they finally diagnosed the problem as the DCM module which continues to draw power after the vehicle is shut down. After taking out the fuse which powers this system, no more problems. However, Toyota Canada does not have a fix so in the mean time, my SOS button in not operational (no big deal for me) but the real inconvenience is that the bluetooth speaker also does not work (since it feeds through the same DCM module). Apparently, the problem existed with some 2021 Siennas as well and while they thought they corrected the issue for the 2022 Siennas apparently they did not.

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
740 Posts
After being at the dealer for two days (sending information from my vehicle's computer to Toyota Canada), they finally diagnosed the problem as the DCM module which continues to draw power after the vehicle is shut down. After taking out the fuse which powers this system, no more problems. However, Toyota Canada does not have a fix so in the mean time, my SOS button in not operational (no big deal for me) but the real inconvenience is that the bluetooth speaker also does not work (since it feeds through the same DCM module). Apparently, the problem existed with some 2021 Siennas as well and while they thought they corrected the issue for the 2022 Siennas apparently they did not.
Do you park in an area that has little or no cell service, particularly from the carrier that Toyota uses? When a cellular device searches for a signal (e.g. the DCM), it uses a lot more power, thus draining the battery faster. In the US, the carrier used by Toyota is AT&T. Not sure what carrier they use in Canada, although it should be the same carrier that you contact to get in-car Internet service.

· Registered
84 Posts
Do you know which fuse they removed? and where its located?

· Registered
7 Posts
I am not sure which fuse they removed. But they said the fuse box is the one inside the vehicle near the driver's seat. The problem is not due to poor cell phone reception in my neighborhood as the car was at the dealership for two days (dealership has excellent cell reception) and they were able to pinpoint the source of the battery drain to the DCM module. This is a problem that Toyota Canada is aware of.

· Registered
28 Posts
There is another thread regarding similar issues. "2022 - battery drains almost every night". Recent post suggests possibility of sliding door sensor remaining on. I've had 3 dead battery moments. First 2 back to back and most recent 6 weeks later. Both times have coincided with the having driven through recent snow and sensors perhaps mucked with road crud. Has anyone had the overnight battery depletion occur without possibility of snow gunked up sensors? I'm not suggesting just the crud on the sensors but perhaps that in combination with push button door opening that causes the sensor to remain on and deplete battery.

· Registered
84 Posts
I heard other vehicles has problem with the VCU, Vehicle Communications Unit not getting signal. This is the module that talks to Verizon for you connection with the app. If you're in a bad signal area it could be trying to connect all night. On other models it was fixed with a software update.

· Registered
7 Posts
I am picking up my vehicle today after one week at the local dealership. The technician said Toyota Canada told him do disable the sliding door sensors. However, the technician does not believe this is the problem as the battery is being drained because of the VCU. Stay tuned! Will let you know what happens. I have installed cell phone signal booster in my garage to help isolate the real issue.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have had mine go dead overnight in my garage but also sit for a week or more in same garage without going dead. yesterday went dead on street in area where my att cell worked fine.

That is why I'm curious if anyone is experiencing this sporadic overnight battery deadness in climates that aren't snowy as it seems all reports are from cold climates and started when winter got going. The sliding door sensor diagnosis is the best match to my experience as I went 6 weeks without issue but car was fairly clean during that time.

· Registered
1 Posts

Hi
I have the same problem.. and they deactivated kick sensor as temporary solution till they find permanent solution.
Any update with you ?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts