Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Do you park in an area that has little or no cell service, particularly from the carrier that Toyota uses? When a cellular device searches for a signal (e.g. the DCM), it uses a lot more power, thus draining the battery faster. In the US, the carrier used by Toyota is AT&T. Not sure what carrier they use in Canada, although it should be the same carrier that you contact to get in-car Internet service.
Wow, if this is really the reason behind the battery draining, then it's a major design problem, or something is wrong with the way the connectivity module works. I always thought that the car-based connectivity system would "ping" any possible fobs nearby and search for cell signal in short, infrequent bursts (let's say every 5-10 seconds), instead of feverishly scanning the ether like a smart phone would do. All eyes on Toyota's famous cost saving frenzy that left the Sienna with a battery of the size you'd normally see on a ride-on mower.

· Registered
11 Posts
Same issue here and I have the Comfort Plus package with the trickle charger and all of that as I live in Canada. 2022 XSE AWD. Just had it towed to the dealer and they suggested it might be related to the kick sensors needing to be replaced but might take several days for them to diagnose it properly. Definitely not impressed with Toyota right now. Also having issues where I have to hit the lock button on the door handle about eight times before it actually locks the car and sometimes pull the fob out of my pocket and hold it next to the handle for it to even detect it.

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
744 Posts
Also having issues where I have to hit the lock button on the door handle about eight times before it actually locks the car and sometimes pull the fob out of my pocket and hold it next to the handle for it to even detect it.
Is your cell phone in the same pocket as your key fob? That could cause the problem with locking.

· Registered
170 Posts
After being at the dealer for two days (sending information from my vehicle's computer to Toyota Canada), they finally diagnosed the problem as the DCM module which continues to draw power after the vehicle is shut down. After taking out the fuse which powers this system, no more problems. However, Toyota Canada does not have a fix so in the mean time, my SOS button in not operational (no big deal for me) but the real inconvenience is that the bluetooth speaker also does not work (since it feeds through the same DCM module). Apparently, the problem existed with some 2021 Siennas as well and while they thought they corrected the issue for the 2022 Siennas apparently they did not.
Do you which fuse it is and where it is located? This issue concerns me a lot, as l will be parking for at least a week in a spot with zero cell service. It would be a major problem to return to the car with a dead 12v battery ...

· Registered
6 Posts
Same issue here and I have the Comfort Plus package with the trickle charger and all of that as I live in Canada. 2022 XSE AWD. Just had it towed to the dealer and they suggested it might be related to the kick sensors needing to be replaced but might take several days for them to diagnose it properly. Definitely not impressed with Toyota right now. Also having issues where I have to hit the lock button on the door handle about eight times before it actually locks the car and sometimes pull the fob out of my pocket and hold it next to the handle for it to even detect it.
My mother-in-law has had the same problem. She had the dealer disable the kick sensor and it made no difference. Kick sensors were disabled, battery was replaced, and about a week later, battery died again. She has a 22 Sienna hybrid. It has been to the dealer three times in the last two months for this issue. It's usually left there for one to two weeks at a time but never really gets fixed. The dealer seems perplexed by the issue and wanted my mother-in-law to charge it at night. She sleeps for 8 hours, about the same length of a work day. None of the employees at the dealership had their vehicles charging for their shift but thought it was completely normal to ask her to charge her battery each night on a brand new vehicle.

· Registered
396 Posts
Do you park in an area that has little or no cell service, particularly from the carrier that Toyota uses? When a cellular device searches for a signal (e.g. the DCM), it uses a lot more power, thus draining the battery faster. In the US, the carrier used by Toyota is AT&T. Not sure what carrier they use in Canada, although it should be the same carrier that you contact to get in-car Internet service.
If i configure the WiFi (so it connects to my home Wifi router) does this make any difference ? Will it still keep pinging the local ATT tower ?

· Registered
11 Posts
So the dealer called me today and told me they charged the battery up and diagnosed it and that it had a bad cell so it was replaced. They think my door kick sensors are not involved in the affected VIN numbers so I'll see if this battery lasts. It was about -40 last month so maybe the cold was hard on that battery.

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
744 Posts
If i configure the WiFi (so it connects to my home Wifi router) does this make any difference ? Will it still keep pinging the local ATT tower ?
The car has no way to connect to your local wifi. It only communicates to the ATT cell towers. The in-car Wifi is an additional service you can purchase from ATT allowing use of Internet on the go.

· Registered
396 Posts
The car has no way to connect to your local wifi. It only communicates to the ATT cell towers. The in-car Wifi is an additional service you can purchase from ATT allowing use of Internet on the go.
Yes - sorry i was confused with my other toyota 86 which does connect wifi to your home.

Communication Device Mobile device Gadget Portable communications device Font

· Registered
7 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2022 Sienna XLE. The car no longer shows any signs of life. Possibly the problem comes from the 12v battery??? It was towed to the dealer yesterday noon. I'm waiting for the diagnosis.

The situation bothers me a lot, because it is our only car. We now have to manage our daily life without a car. It is not easy with our 3 children. I expect the diagnosis in the next few hours and I may have to rent a car at my expense. It's a bit of an ironic situation, because we had changed vehicles (odyssey 2016 => sienna 2022) to make sure we had a reliable means of transport :(

21 - 40 of 58 Posts