Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for confirming. No need to post your unique VIN.

Can I have access to the TSB detail?
I found it on this site: T-SB-0071-22 Toyota Technical Service Bulletin
A few other related threads FYI:

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a return from the dealership. It is indeed a problem with the kick sensor. For now, the feature is disabled. The parts identified in the TSB will be placed today, hoping that they are not back order. The battery 12v has been replaced.

1 more question : Is it possible that my Sienna consumes less fuel since replacing the 12v battery and disabling the kick sensor? Is there a connection to be made between the 12v battery and the propulsion battery?

Thanks for your precious advice

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
744 Posts
I have a return from the dealership. It is indeed a problem with the kick sensor. For now, the feature is disabled. The parts identified in the TSB will be placed today, hoping that they are not back order. The battery 12v has been replaced.

1 more question : Is it possible that my Sienna consumes less fuel since replacing the 12v battery and disabling the kick sensor? Is there a connection to be made between the 12v battery and the propulsion battery?

Thanks for your precious advice
It may use marginally less fuel, but probably not enough to be very noticeable. The car will use less power charging the battery as it will not be run down by the kick sensors.

Not sure what connection you are looking for between the traction battery and the 12 volt battery. The only physical connection is a DC-DC converter that takes power from the traction battery and uses it to charge the 12 volt battery. The DC-DC converter only charges the 12 volt battery when the car is in READY mode.

· Registered
6 Posts
Was just informed by dealer that Toyota is issuing a recall on kick sensor. This is second hand information from my mother-in-law but she's been in to the dealer three times now and won't take the vehicle back until it's fixed. Hoping this recall is the fix!

· Registered
5 Posts
Finally!! I am not crazy and NO, I did not leave the interior lights on service Manager!! I told you so!!

TSB in finally out! T-SB-0071-22

The kick sensors and door motors will all be replaced!!

Has anyone been thru this repair? I am concerned since they are going to remove all the interior door panels to do the work!! Rattles!!!??

Thanks

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
744 Posts
Trying to understand why the drive motors also have to be changed not just the sensors. Doesn’t make sense unless they are not sure it’s just the sensors!
It is probably some electronics in the drive motor unit that needed a modification, not necessarily the motors themselves. The drive motor assembly including the electronics is probably the lowest replaceable part.

· Registered
20 Posts
Would it be fair to assume that future built Sienna’s will have the problem addressed from the factory now that there’s an actual recall?
I’m supposed to receive an XSE with a built date later this month. And this battery issue seems to be the main one I keep reading about.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Canada here. I'm lucky because i happened to get the cold weather package that came with a trickle charger, so at least my battery can be charge.

I have a 2022 XSE AWD. 12V battery refuses to start the van after 12 or 24 hours of sitting. I don't know what is draining the battery. I'm not leaving lights on, nothing is plugged into USB ports or Inverter ports, I lock the van by using the door handle sensors. I got rid of the Toyota connected app on my phone. I store the FOBS in a faraday box about 15 metres away from the van.

I've had it die six time now in the two months I've owned this.

Dealer has been no help. They say the battery died, and they charge it and give it back to me as if nothing happened. They say nothing shows up in diagnostics.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?
Am I supposed to elevate this to Toyota Canada corporate?
Had same issue . Have 2022 XSC AWD , battery started dying overnight, changed batter after multiple visits in Dec 2022 . Started having same issues in Jan 2023 (even with new battery), they Said the kick sensors are draining battery overnight. Currently has no solution and thus turned off kick open option and seems effective. I been told that Toyota is working to update the software to fix the issue and might take a while ( 6 months +)

· Registered
48 Posts
Had same issue . Have 2022 XSC AWD , battery started dying overnight, changed batter after multiple visits in Dec 2022 . Started having same issues in Jan 2023 (even with new battery), they Said the kick sensors are draining battery overnight. Currently has no solution and thus turned off kick open option and seems effective. I been told that Toyota is working to update the software to fix the issue and might take a while ( 6 months +)
How did they turn it off exactly? I'm wondering if I can ask them to turn it off before I pick up mine tomorrow.

· Registered
437 Posts
I wonder what the
Would it be fair to assume that future built Sienna’s will have the problem addressed from the factory now that there’s an actual recall?
I’m supposed to receive an XSE with a built date later this month. And this battery issue seems to be the main one I keep reading about.

People only come on these forums if they are having issues (or bored like me). My guess is there are probably not that many cases. I don't know what the actual statistics are but my Sienna seems fine at 80,000 miles.

· Registered
13 Posts
Had same issue . Have 2022 XSC AWD
Was your VIN included in the previously posted Toyota TSB or was it later? I.e.,
"This bulletin applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below. MODEL PLANT DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN Sienna HV TMMI
2WD 5TDGRKEC#NS127342
4WD 5TDESKFC#NS067872"

...now that there’s an actual recall?
What recall? There's a Toyota TSB, but no recall as far as I know.

My guess is there are probably not that many cases. I don't know what the actual statistics are but my Sienna seems fine at 80,000 miles.
Seems to be the case. Maybe the issues are more northern climates (snow buildup) or muddy conditions (mud buildup); all just speculation without knowing the nuances of what's causing the issue. TSB simply states "abnormal kick sensor function in cold weather areas".

I hope Toyota fixes this soon for the sake of everyone out there with affected vehicles. Coming out to a dead car is not fun and could even be dangerous if you're stranded a remote area in cold weather.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts