Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Digital rear view mirror retrofit

15K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  petyuriy 
#1 · (Edited)
My big green just arrived at dealer.

I will begin the Digital rear view mirror retrofit project. I still have located a cheap mirror.

Updated with part list
Below are the parts you will need for this retrofit.
1. Digital rear view camera- 867C0-08010
2. One additional washer nozzle- 867F1-08010
3. New camera mounting plate- I can’t find the PN
4. New washer fluid splitter valve- 867FB-08040
5. Digital rear view mirror- 87810-08130

Camera lens Reflex camera Camera accessory Wood Digital camera

Wood Bumper Bicycle part Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Will update when I get the camera installed in the lift gate first.

See less See more
#3 ·
Houston we have a problem.

Despite being told by Toyota tech and also looking up the rear harness. There is no 4pin connector in the back for none DRM cars.

Also- quick caution

1. Do not disconnect the camera without disconnecting the battery.
2. If you do- you will need to call up service menu to recalibrate the rear camera.

I need to tear into my other sienna to see where the 4 pin connector is.

#5 ·
I actually don’t know now.

there are two version of rear harness.

86184-08691(or 90)- which does have pre-wire for the digital rear view mirror

86184-08681 (or 80)- which does not have pre-wire for the digital rear view mirror.

I had always assumed 81/80 aren’t on platinum/limited. We all have 90/91. But when I opened up my cypress today. Can’t find that 4pin. I will need to check my ruby flare.

Toyota updated part and drawing about 3 weeks ago. Now it shows two different wiring now for platinum and limited.

I also need to look into roof harness now. Given I am not sure if roof harness also have variation.

mucho headache

XLE/XSE has different harness too.

I have to tear into both van to figure out.

#6 ·
It's funny, I was going through your parts list checking things out and thinking to myself, "this actually isn't all that bad of a price..." then I got to #5. So annoying considering the relatively inexpensive option when the van is built (if it were actually available).

#19 ·
I am starting to think it may be easier to just construct my own signal cable to run between the mirror and camera, while everything else just continues to function on the existing harness. The socket within the mirror appears to be a 4-pin Fakra connector, which terminates on the short mirror harness to what appears to be either a Hirose GT5 series connector or a JAE MX68 series connector. Can anyone confirm this?

As far as the camera side goes, I really have no clue what that 4 pin connector is.

Photo of signal connector inside mirror:
Watch Motor vehicle Auto part Analog watch Personal protective equipment

Photo of connector on the short harness coming off the mirror itself. (Grey is signal/power to camera and black is power to mirror)
Automotive lighting Gesture Finger Circuit component Bumper

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
MODERATOR COMMENTS: Technically this is not a post that we'd normally approve. There is a process with the site owners to be followed with regards to businesses. However, as members are looking for a solution to a desired modification, I'm going to allow you some latitude. I may rescind it if it doesn't go well.....

Hey guys, I just dicovered this thread by accident. I'm working on something similar for the Tundra over at Tundra.com I think i can actually help you guys quite a bit. My kit is for moving the digital rearview camera, but should also allow you to add one like youre trying here. I could create a custom length cable for your guys if the demand is there Let me know what you would like to see in a kit for this. The reason youre all having trouble finding the connector is its a proprietary JAE MX49 connector. I couldnt get my hands on these yet either, thats why my kit requires you move the Toyota harness 867970C360 or buy for ~$80. What length would you be ideal for this? Let me know your thoughts. I can help yall. Check out my website ggoffroad.com

#27 ·
To everyone considering the install the OEM digital rear view camera from Toyota: the Toyota system is not a high quality display & camera setup. You can get a far better and larger higher quality rear view display by getting a mirror dash cam from eBay or Amazon. My wife has the Toyota digital rear view mirror on her ‘21 RAV4, I have a Pormido mirror dash cam from Amazon on my ‘22 Sienna XLE. My dash cam setup is far superior in every way to the Toyota system. On a 10 scale, I would rate her Toyota digital mirror a 3-4 in daylight and a 1-2 at nighttime. In comparison, I would rate my mirror dash cam an 8-9 in daytime and 6-7 at nighttime. Bottom line, the dash cam system is far better quality, includes a great dash cam with a larger display for less than half the cost of the OEM Toyota system. I also think the installation is a lot easier as well.

#29 ·
So thanks to GG.off-road and Toyota Sunnyvale

I think there is a way to make this work

1. All sienna platinum regardless of the year- has the same roof harness. Basically the digital rear view mirror harness runs all the way from the actual mirror to the back of the roof.

2. What is missing is the harness from back of the roof to the rear liftgate camera. That harness is $230 from Toyota. They won’t give me the PN over the phone. So I have to go see in person.

so this retrofit is totally possible. Cost varies dramatically depends on how lucky you are in sourcing the parts

My cost so far
Complete dual camera for the back liftgate- $80
Digital rear view mirror from Venza- $380
Washer fluid splitter- $8.00
Another camera washer nuzzle- $12
The rear liftgate harness- $230
So total cost is around $800 for me

But the biggest cost variance is the dual camera assembly and the mirror- those can cost over $2000 new from dealer. My was $460.

#30 ·
Hey @krispykreme Were you able to get this working? I bought a second camera for my Tundra, (I already have the digital rear view) but i wanted to see if i could swap between cameras, and to see if I could make a retrofit happen on a sr5 tundra. I ran into a problem that the mirror on the tundra is locked to the camera it came with, and needs toyota techstream (so I've heard havent confirmed this) in order to relearn and pair to a new camera. Is that the case with the sienna mirror? Im happy to send you a free cable for your endeavor, as i'm personally trying to do the same thing...

#33 ·
I have a 2023 Limited with RES. After some research into getting a OEM DRM retrofitted, I am going to go with the Gentex GENFDM3LN digital rear view mirror. Seems like this is the closest or better in quality to OEM and the camera sits inside the rear windshield so no need for washer fluid and extra housing in the lift gate etc.

My shop has the parts, I have an appointment next week for the install.

Cost: $800 plus $300 to install.

#41 ·
I really like the camera housing in your second pic! is that part of the kit or does it have a separate part number?
I installed a nikomaku brand DRM from amazon on mine and am really happy with the results, just trying my best to hide the cable where I mounted the camera in the back

#38 ·
I have the Pormido 3 camera digital dash cam mirror and it has been flawless in operation for almost 2 years now. The digital mirror display is equal to the Toyota DRM in daytime and superior to its night time performance. Excellent dash cam recording performance on front and rear facing cameras as well. $260 for 3 camera, $200 for 2 camera on Amazon. Initial install took less than one hour using plug-in power supply. Later I connected power to the harness tucked under the ceiling cabin lights above the dashboard which took one hour. Some time later I rewired the rear camera through the wiring tubes between the hatch and the rear roof opening for a super clean stock appearance which took 1.5 hours. Final: far less than Toyota DRM, superior performance especially at night and adds an excellent front and rear dash cam.