Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disabling DRLs on 2002 Sienna. I'm assuming it'll be the same for all 98-03, if not speak up and help out the database :). Those of you with the automatic headlight sensor, sorry I cant help you out :(.

This may not be for everyone. Im sure lots of folks like their daytime running lights for [insert reason here]. But for those of us that dislike DRL's, whether its because of the extra strain on the alternator/battery, the decreased life of the bulbs, or maybe you're installing HIDs and dont want to burn em out early. Whatever the reason, if you want it off this is how to disable it in the 1st gen Sienna:
First disconnect the battery (or not), then find the DRL control box. Its black with a 20pin white connector. It's located just under the dash above the pedals:

Unplug the connector and locate pin12. Pin12 is DRL activation. Here is a good pin-out diagram from an 03 Matrix: http://www.electrolund.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/drl_connector.jpg . It's the same in the Sienna, here's my connector:

Now, don't overthink this guys. Pin12 i've circled on the connector doesn't match pin-out on the diagram as it is flipped. You have to imagine the connector plugging into the pin-out :).
Once you've located pin12 cut that wire (leave some slack in case you want to reverse it later). On the '02 CE its the gray wire.

Thats it, you're done, you could leave it just like that and plug it back in. If you wish to retain functionality there are numerous connector options available practically anywhere for cheap. I tend to like bullet style connectors but I was out, so I used the old speaker type.

If you decide to go that route, don't forget to tape them separately with electrical tape so they dont touch. Plug the connector back in. Reconnect the battery if you disconnected it. Start it up and enjoy not having DRLs ;D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great information, but just a small addendum. I have a '98 and my connector was missing the 2 larger wires/connections. After combing the archives for better info, I cut the grey wire, which was pin 12 or maybe 10, depending on which way you count them. Anyway it worked, no drl and my automatic headlights function as they should.

I originally tried the cheaper, ground the headlight negative wire trick but that made my headlights come on full intensity without the parking lights. I didn't want to accidentally drive at night with headlight only so I took a chance and clipped the wire at the relay(?). I have a picture on my phone of my connector and I will try and upload it for clarification.

Oh, and I did all this because I added HID headlights for those long roadtrips and I love them!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I want to move the DRLs from my headlights to LEDs. Would it be safe to use this grey wire as a direct power source or should I get a new DRL module and just use this grey wire as a relay wire?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dkazzed,
Did it worked? I want to know what did you do to your add-on led strip DRL?
I bought one LED strip too and don't know where to start.I ask thinking of using the Greg wire as my source for LED. Your response will be valued as gold and much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI, since you asked, these instructions do not work for a 99. The connector isn't the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts