Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAMER: Please!!!!! If you do not know how to safely jack up the van and remove the wheels, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS DIY. I am not responsible for any injuries resulting from your stupidity. Please be at least 8/10 on your technical skill level in order to attempt this.
DIY performed on a 2005 XLE LTD WITH 17” RIMS ONLY
CLERANCE MEASUREMENTS:
BEFORE THE SWAP CLERANCE BETWEEN THE RIM AND CALIPER 7MM
AFTER THE SWAP CLERANCE BETWEEN THE RIM AND CALIPER 5MM
TOTAL CLERANCE LOSS 2MM
ENOUGH CLERANCE FOR SAFE OPERATION.

What You Need:1) 2011 Front brake calipers complete set including the brackets
2) 2011 NEW Front Brake rotors
3) 2011 NEW Front Brake pads
4) BRAKE FLUID 2 PINTS
I used the web site www.car-parts.com, this is a complete US based junk yard/auto recycler’s data base and you will definitely find what you are looking for on here. I got lucky and picked up a virtually brand new front caliper set loaded with brake pads that looked like they came off a vehicle which must have had 2/3 k miles on it.
For new rotors and pads I used this web site link attached below, best web site for brake parts. I decided to go with the painted rotors as you will see in the pictures the reason why. All the rust formation due to constant heating and cooling plus the salt and snow just fastens the flaking/rusting process.
http://brakeperformance.com/index.php
Follow the DIY that I had posted some time back and remove the caliper and pop out the rotor. Here is a link http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1218.0, follow these steps till the point where you have the caliper hanging by the springs and the bracket and rotors are all taken off.
This is also a good time to paint the new calipers, make sure that you cover the rubber piston seal area with masking tape before you hit it with the paint, and also throw some clear coat on it as well. As it will help make the caliper look nicer and help in cleaning when hit by pressurized water.
After you are all set, and have followed the DIY link above, you are now ready to install the big rotor conversation.
1) Pop in your new rotor
2) Install the complete caliper assembly with the bracket on to the hub, don’t worry it is all going to fit like a glove. (again follow the DIY from above to get this done properly)
3) Now you need to take the calipers off of the bracket to be able to install the pads (you could not have done this outside, as the brackets need to be mounted firm on something in order to be able to loosen the caliper slider pins bolts).
4) The difference between the 2004/2010 and the 2011 brake assemblies in the two metal retraction springs that need to be attached to the brake pads, this is not the case in the 2004-2010 year models. These springs’s aid the retraction process of the brake pads so it is a positive retraction and the pads will never get stuck in the engaged position and cause unnecessary wear and tear on your braking system. (One more reason why you need the calipers off the bracket in the above step 3).
5) Don’t forget to grease the slider pins.
6) Open the brake fluid reservoir cap and top off the reservoir all the way to the top making sure that it does not overflow (be careful as the brake fluid is highly corrosive and will remove the paint where it makes contact)
7) This next couple of steps you need to do quickly or find a brake line pinch tool so you don’t lose a lot of brake fluid. I hope that you all get the caliper set with the brake lines. If you do, unhook the brake line from the 2011 caliper
Next all steps needs to be performed quickly, don’t worry about tightening everything up just make the connection enough so that you don’t lose a lot of brake fluid. After you have finished one side check the fluid level in the reservoir making sure you are close to the MAX line marker.
8) Disconnect the Brake line of your old caliper from the chassis brake line and quickly connect the 2011 brake line to the chassis brake line make sure that the you tighten this up ( you are losing brake fluid but it is just dropping in drops so not to worry …….)
9) Quickly connect the other end to the 2011 caliper and screw in the bolt sung enough to stop the brake fluid flow.
10) CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL IN THE RESERVOIR, if low then add some. DO THIS EXCERSIZE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE LAST THING THAT YOU WANT IS SUCKING IN AIR INTO YOU BRAKE LINES.
11) Now tighten everything up, the connection to the chassis line and the bolt on the caliper (don’t forget the brass washers on the caliper end)
12) Loosen the bleed screw on the caliper and connect a transparent drain line to the bleed screw.
13) Ask a friend to start pumping the brakes from inside the cabin.
14) Look for clear flow of brake fluid in the drain line, when you see that the fluid coming out is free of air bubbles you may stop the bleed process and tighten the bleed screw. You may also refer a online DIY on how to bleed brake system. In a nut shell what your friend is doing is pump, pump, pump and when he feels enough pressure build up then hold and you release the bleed screw. You will see brake fluid squirt out the drain line that you juts connected. It will be filthy and dark in color. Keep repeating the process till you see nice clear clean fluid squirt out without any trapped air bubbles. (THIS PROCESS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND YOU NEED THE HELP OF A FRIEND TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU PRESSURIZE THE BRAKE SYSTEM PROPERLY……IT IS AN EASY PROCESS BUT YOU STILL NEED SOME COMMON SENSE…..YOU NEED TO FEEL THAT PRESSUER BUILD UP IN THE SYSTEM AS YOU PUMP)
15) Once you are satisfied that the system is clean and pressurized properly you may tighten the bleed screw and clean up all the brake fluid.
16) Finish the other side in the same manner.
17) TEST DRIVE: Now don’t be a smart ass and load up your family and show off you upgrade. Make sure that you are alone in the van and have a properly functioning e-brake. Drive off real slow and test the e-brake a couple of times and start testing/pumping your newly installed brake system. You will feel some free push in’s but once the system is pressurized properly it will hold and will work beautifully.

I HAVE BEEN ROCKING THIS UPGRADE FOR THE LAST 5000MILES AND AM GLAD TO TELL YOU THAT ALL WORKS WELL AND THIS 3 TON MONSTER STOPS ON A DIME, YOU WILL DEFINITELY AND POSITIVELY FEEL THE BRAKING DIFFERENCE AND REDUCED STOPPING DISTANCE.

DISCLAMER: AGAIN CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH…………PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY MISTAKE THAT YOU MIGHT COMMIT OR ANY ACCIDENTS RELATED TO THIS WIRTEUP. PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

DETAILED PICTURES ATTACHED: YOUR FEEDBACK/APPRECIATION IS WELCOME……CHEERS!!!!!!!

TOTAL COST OF THIS MOD: CALIPERS $80 + ROTORS $120 = TOTAL of $200............

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Re: DIY: 2011 FRONT BRAKE UPGRADE ON 2004-2009...........

Wow! Toyota sure did a nice job of upgrading the braking system on the 2011 model. And it is way cool that you can retrofit 2nd gens too. I would love to do this mod.... Maybe when I find some 17" rims and tires then I will look into doing this too. Thanks for sharing this info and all the pics. I wonder if this would affect the anti-lock performance in any way?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thankx Tablon..........damn!!!!!!!!! 79 views and just one comment...........I thought this would be one of the best and coolest upgrade ever given the fact that how weak/spongy the braking system is for the 2004-2009 yr model van's....plus how inexpensive it was to do this.......

·
Registered
333 Posts

javvy said:
Thankx Tablon..........damn!!!!!!!!! 79 views and just one comment...........I thought this would be one of the best and coolest upgrade ever given the fact that how weak/spongy the braking system is for the 2004-2009 yr model van's....plus how inexpensive it was to do this.......
Hi, Javvy:

I have not kept updated with the brake upgrade you wrote up here. What is the main difference between the second and third generation's brakes? By the way, you previous instructions were really helpful for me. I did replace my brake pad a few months back. It works great!

Thanks,

·
Registered
940 Posts

Crap...I just changed my brake pads a few weeks ago, otherwise I would have done this mod! Now I will have to wait another 60,000 miles before I can try this...

·
Registered
35 Posts

Very nice. Congratulations.

Is that used parts website good for all kinds of parts?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thanwu.......the biggest impact is the reduced braking distance and a nice solid feel to the brake pedal. I am happy that my privous DIY post worked out for you.....

happycamper.....I could have posted a little bit earlier but my computer was down plus I was testing the system thorughly before I posted on here.....I have close to 5k miles on the van now with this mod and it all works nicely......

noheat......yes that website is good for any parts infact i juts picked up a very nice OEM navigation system for my other ride whihc is a mercedes c-class got a super deal on a virtually brand new piece.....

·
Registered
17 Posts

javvy, nice job on this upgrade. I'm curious on your motivation to seek this out and complete this task. When we were looking for a newer van, we drove everything and our short list came down to the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna. We finally chose the Sienna, the brakes on the Siennas were far superior to every Odyssey we drove, so I've been thinking I've got some darn good brakes.

Did you have to do anything to the proportional valve to keep the new setup in balance with the rears?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

paoutdoorsman.......some time back there was some discuession about how the 2011 has 2 piston upgraded brake calipers and that there was a likely hood chance that it might fit the 04/09 year model vans.......I had done some thing similar on my previous car which was a acura 2.3cl which was a single piston caliper and had installed the acura legend 2 piston calipers with the apropriate rotors and it all worked beautifully I have a DIY on the acura forum as well regarding this mod........so when the discuession came up I just took my chances and got my hands on a real nice set of 2011 calipers and I was lucky that when I bought them they came loaded with the pads and also had the brake lines on them attached. generally when the junk/auto recyclers sell parts they will not take all these ancillariou off as it is more labor to them then the actual value of the parts, so you are better off then buying the parts new, and since the 2011 is a much newer year the age on this parts is virtually niglegiable.......so all the calipers or 2011 parts that are avaliable through recyclers in almost new......as far as the propotioning valve is concerned .....it is a propoitoning valve and it will adjust itself proportinally to the newer setup.......same issue/concern was rasied on the acura forum as well but it does not matter.........the proportining valev adjust's itself very well........so it is a clear swap.....but still to be more sure if some one can cross reference the part numbers on the propotioning valve for both the 2004/2009 yr model vans and the 2011 vans that would be a great conformation of this fact.......

javvy

·
Registered
347 Posts

thanwu said:
What is the main difference between the second and third generation's brakes?
The third generation front rotors are an inch larger in diameter, and the pads are upsized as well (as shown in the pics above). It also has a two piston caliper (something I didn't know before). I'm assuming that this two piston setup distributes clamping force more uniformly on the larger brake pad?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

very well put smailcar.... ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts

Thanks, Javvy. Unfortunately I could not upgrade to this new brake caliper since my Sienna XLE's wheel is 16"

javvy said:
thanwu.......the biggest impact is the reduced braking distance and a nice solid feel to the brake pedal. I am happy that my privous DIY post worked out for you.....

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

javvy said:
Excellent upgrade. It must be me, but I find the brakes perfectly acceptable already.

·
Registered
285 Posts

very nice!

i wondered about this, since the 3G T4R guys are doing the Tundra brake swap and there's enough parts commonality to make it *almost* bolt-on. seems toyota has enough commonality between different lines that upgrades can be done with OEM parts from other models.

our brakes are just about ready for replacing - thanks for the write up and pictures. i think i'll give this a shot if i can ever find time to get together with friends for a wrenching session.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Nice upgrade. Its nice to know for future reference and its always good to have better brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts

What are the chances that this great upgrade will work on 16"? Would be great for extra braking while towing!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

jeff7267......try to measure the distance of the higest point of the caliper to the inner edge of your rim........and refer to the clerance distance that I posted........if you are within range you can risk trying it........if not then you can sell the set up here and I am sure some one will buy the calipers from you...........goodluck.....

javvy

·
Registered
3 Posts

Very good upgrade. It is mentioned as an upgrade for 2005-2009 sienna. What about 2010 sienna xle with 17" rims?

·
Registered
160 Posts

drini2 said:
Very good upgrade. It is mentioned as an upgrade for 2005-2009 sienna. What about 2010 sienna xle with 17" rims?
2010 should be the same. In fact, you may want to state it as 2004-2010 model Sienna as they should all be the same regarding the front brakes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks Robster.......I was not sure about the year's...the post has now been fixed............

1 - 20 of 323 Posts