Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great job on the DIY. starting this mod on my 2013 XLE. Soldered in the new 12v outlet properly (you're right, with heated seats, you have the extra 2 connections). You're not kidding about how tricky it is to route the wire from the top to the outlet. I tried for an hour with a fish tape, no luck. Going to try again with a piece of wire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very nice! I found my weekend project for my 2013.
Can you tell me what mount your using to hold the GPS in place? I tried to use krazy glue and its just not sticking to dash.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just double side tape to install on dash. Never use Crazy glue for something like this, it breaks down in sunlight. Leaves a hard mess afterwards.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the great tutorial. I did it on my '14 sienna this weekend, with a couple minor differences:
-I got an official Garmin hard-wire kit for $20 on amazon ( www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11131-10-USB-Power-Cable/dp/B004M4TZF6/ ), it has an in-line fuse and some other little boxy thing on it. It was a little tricky to pull it back up through with my fishing wire, but I succeeded.

-I used these for the splice: http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/wiring-accessories/connectors/inline/5-wire-lever-nut-5-pack/p-1867703-c-6445.htm which made it very easy to do with no soldering, and if I ever want to add another power accessory, it will be a snap.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The use of an adhesive disk can be avoided by mounting your Garmin on an iOttie Easy View Universal mount. These things grip even textured dashes. Just take the phone holder off the iOttie Universal to expose the 17 mm Garmin compatible ball. I use one on the little shelf in front of the MFD in my 2014 Sienna to hold my phone as does my wife in her Prius v.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent DIY tutorial. I did this on a new 2014 XLE and although I followed the basic procedure, I had to do somethings slightly different. I found it impossible to snake the stiff wire from the top of the dash downward to where I could access it in the lower power socket cavity. I decided to try to reverse the direction so I started feeding the wire from the power socket area upward and very quickly I found the end of the stiff wire sticking up in the air behind the backup camera screen. From that point on it was very easy to feed the Garmin power cable through the dash and out to the Garmin GPS mounted on the flat spot on the dash. This is the perfect location for the display, easily accessible for programming and good viewing for all seats. Great ideal

Curt O

·
Registered
201 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts