Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent awhile rootin' around for the answer to no avail, so I apologize if I'm re-hashing.

I'm about to purchase a 2nd gen Sienna ('05 to '09) and want to land in one with the 3500lb tow capacity. The most I ever intend to tow is a small and light (1500lbs or less) pop-up trailer, but I'd prefer to have the enhanced tow capacity so as not to have any worry regarding limits.

My question is this:
Does any Sienna with the oil cooler/oil cooler lines necessarily have the full 3500lb capacity?

I ask because it's my understanding that the 'tow package' only includes the cooler, whereas the 'tow prep package' includes the cooler, larger radiator fan, higher coolant capacity, etc. In researching this matter I seemed to have found every possible combination of answers, including that a Sienna with no tow package can pull well over 1500lbs if one only uses synthetic ATF (which I seriously doubt).

I read a few accounts of the oil cooler being very difficult to locate. And since I know I'll be able to locate the oil cooler LINES (whether original or replacement), I need to know whether or not the presence of this part alone means FOR SURE that I have the full 3500lb tow capacity.

I'm just trying to prevent a scenario where I get one with just the 'tow package (cooler only?), thinking I'm good up to 3500lbs only to realize I need the full tow prep package for that.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,464 Posts
The Oil Cooler situation only applies to 2007-2010 vans (with the 3.5 liter 2GR-FE engine). The 2004 - 2006 had the smaller 3.3 liter engine.

All 2007 vans had the oil cooler. I don't believe that there was any specific 'tow package' that year, so I'm assuming (hoping?) that all would be properly equipped to exploit the 3,500 lb to capacity.

2008-2010 only have an oil cooler as a result of ordering the Tow Package.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes...

All 2007 are equipped with the tow package and have an engine oil cooler and are rated to tow 3500 pounds.

If a particular 2008-2010 Sienna has the engine oil cooler, then by definition it has the tow package and is rated to tow 3500 pounds.

-Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Also note you can check out what options the Sienna came with by entering the VIN at the site below. If it is a 2008/09, it should list "TO Towing Prep Option" if it had the tow package ordered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes...

All 2007 are equipped with the tow package and have an engine oil cooler and are rated to tow 3500 pounds.

If a particular 2008-2010 Sienna has the engine oil cooler, then by definition it has the tow package and is rated to tow 3500 pounds.

-Mike

Is there a comprehensive list of what years and models of Siennas have the two package?

I'm shopping for a Sienna to tow a 800lb trailers carrying an 800lb motorcycle.

I've spent a week trying to find this out. Freaking crazy. I can't believe this is not easily available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts