Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the seats like this? Does anybody have a solution for this? The gap between my upper back and the seat back is annoying. I wish the headrests could move back a little. I saw some neck pillows on amazon that might work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A lot of newer cars, especially toyotas are doing this. It's super annoying. I read it is so your head gets less whiplash during an accident. At the tradeoff of driving uncomfortable 99.99 percent of the time. My wife chose her civic over a corolla a few years back due to this sole reason. Rav4 isn't as bad, but jeez. How tall are you OP? I'm 6'3" and don't like when they do that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A lot of newer cars, especially toyotas are doing this. It's super annoying. I read it is so your head gets less whiplash during an accident. At the tradeoff of driving uncomfortable 99.99 percent of the time. My wife chose her civic over a corolla a few years back due to this sole reason. Rav4 isn't as bad, but jeez. How tall are you OP? I'm 6'3" and don't like when they do that.
I'm 5'8. I figure it would be more comfortable for taller people, but I guess not. Yes it is very annoying. I hope I can get used to it. I have to stretch like I've been driving for 8 hrs whenever I get out of the car. Not good since I go on many long road trips.

I guess some people are even resorting bending them. I may do this. I got this kink in my neck and I've been only driving it for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just came back from a drive and took the headrest off just to see if it would make things better....Feels so much nicer with the headrests off!

I'm going to try a few neck pillows and see if it helps. I'm definitely doing something about this though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I only test drove the 2021 Sienna for 30 minutes but I remember thinking how comfortable the seats were. Perhaps I didn't have enough time to notice this specific issue but I certainly liked the back support for the drivers seat at least.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I only test drove the 2021 Sienna for 30 minutes but I remember thinking how comfortable the seats were. Perhaps I didn't have enough time to notice this specific issue but I certainly liked the back support for the drivers seat at least.
Same. I only tested the LE for 30 mins and didn't feel this. I need to sit in an XSE and fully test out the handling and comfort when I get a chance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I once flipped 2nd row headrests so child boosters would sit more flush on seat backs.

Can these be removed & flipped?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I once flipped 2nd row headrests so child boosters would sit more flush on seat backs.

Can these be removed & flipped?
I'll try tomorrow. This new safety trend is really ridiculous though and I think it's time for a class action lawsuit. Apparently its a common problem if you google "neck pain car headrest."

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same thing in my Venza....my sister showed me that raising the headrest higher or was it lower...can’t remember...helped greatly. Play with the height a little and see if it makes a difference. I also noticed this on the drivers seat of a Pacifica...it was awful and pushed your head way too far forward...looked over and the passenger seat headrest was perfectly flat...I would have opted for two passenger headrests in a Pacifica. Check what your passenger one looks like. I’m testing a new sienna soon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't been bothered by this and was trying to figure out why. I think it's because my seat is a bit more reclined when I'm driving and so my head is in front of the headrest, not pushed against it. I'm 6'4 so the recline is more comfortable for me for a variety of reasons (headroom, arm length, etc) but the headrest also seems to be an area improved by a slight recline.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Almost all headrests are like this. It is horrible ergonomics and goes against everything the company ergo-experts tell us to do when sitting at our computer desks. Head forward puts constant strain on your neck and back.

I've been taking the headrests out (on my 2004 and 2019 and on my wifes 2018 Forester), turning them around and putting them back in. They no longer lock into place (supposedly a danger during wrecks as they become "flying objects") and aren't height adjustable like this but they feel so much better. Once I figure out what height I want them at, I take a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and slice a small notch into the "post" so it stays there (just duplicate what the other post looks like and cut multiples if you want to). There are some cars you can't remove the headrests at all so this hack doesn't work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't stand it in my 2011 Sienna. I pulled the headrest out and turned it around. Much more comfortable - still not ideal, but better than stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts