Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left sliding door is broken. When I slide it closed the rear latch does not catch and hold. Neither does the power assist, or the door snug motor, kick in and pull the door in tight. What I'm left with is the front latch secured and the rear latch loose, resulting in the back edge of the door standing out from the side of the vehicle about an inch and and a nice breeze.

I think I slammed it shut when the rear latch was flipped into the wrong position. Whats strange is that the door snug/power assist motor will occasionally run, thought how frequently I don't know since I don't dare open that door anymore. On the right sliding door I can trip the snug/power assist motor with a screw driver, but I can't do that on the left door.

I can't for the life of me find evidence of ANYONE else having this issue. They might have a similar issue, but it's always ALWAYS related to the power door not opening or closing on its own. I don't care if I have physically close the door myself, so long as the door actually closes.

Anyway, I can't find a tutorial for how to address this issue. I can't figure out what the part inside might look like. And I'm too scared to hand Toyota mechanics a blank check and tell them to fix it.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, 2010 XLE. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
We had a very similar problem and I think there are many variations on the same theme, all caused by the same intermittently defective part. There is a PDF on this forum site with pictures (link below). The part is relatively cheap. There are two screws that are very difficult to remove and most people end up Dremeling them off. If it weren't for those two screws, this would be a 20 minute fix. Instead, for me, it was a 3+ hour fix. Here's the link with the PDF:

Ours started out intermittent and would get worse in humid conditions. When I replaced the part,the incidence of it happening fell 95%, but it still acted up once every few days. After about a week, it totally went away, but replacing the part was the beginning of the end to this annoying behavior. I should mention that although the link above mentions the interior buttons not working, we had the opposite. The interior button -usually- worked, but it was the outside handle that would often leave it unsnugged and sticking out.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
Nice video Roader, thanks for the link

·
Registered
1 Posts
My left sliding door is broken. When I slide it closed the rear latch does not catch and hold. Neither does the power assist, or the door snug motor, kick in and pull the door in tight. What I'm left with is the front latch secured and the rear latch loose, resulting in the back edge of the door standing out from the side of the vehicle about an inch and and a nice breeze.

I think I slammed it shut when the rear latch was flipped into the wrong position. Whats strange is that the door snug/power assist motor will occasionally run, thought how frequently I don't know since I don't dare open that door anymore. On the right sliding door I can trip the snug/power assist motor with a screw driver, but I can't do that on the left door.

I can't for the life of me find evidence of ANYONE else having this issue. They might have a similar issue, but it's always ALWAYS related to the power door not opening or closing on its own. I don't care if I have physically close the door myself, so long as the door actually closes.

Anyway, I can't find a tutorial for how to address this issue. I can't figure out what the part inside might look like. And I'm too scared to hand Toyota mechanics a blank check and tell them to fix it.

Any ideas?

Were you able to get it fixed. I'm having the same exact issue

Thanks
RJ

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any ideas?

I have this same exact problem! Any solution yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts