Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering:
Do you use drive-through car washes or choose to wash your new Sienna by hand?

Why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
2 bucket hand wash or touchless in winter. Hand washing will only introduce fewer swirls in the paint IF one washes properly and uses proper drying techniques. I'm too into detailing my other cars to introduce swirls on the Sienna. Will probably instruct the kids to not write in dust on the side either haha. I'm going to get XPEL put on the front end as well, as the fronts of my cars always take tons of chips otherwise.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
284 Posts
I always hand wash. Either 2 bucket wash or rinseless wash.

The automatic car wash will always result in scratches in your paint, unless you use a touch-less automatic, which doesnt get you a full clean and will require you to put some protection back on the paint after the wash due to the harsh chemicals used to achieve the clean.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I always hand wash, but have occasionally driven through brushless / touchless washes during winter months to clear away road salt and sand (washing by hand when it’s zero degrees outside isn’t very appealing)

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
511 Posts
It is about time people who take it "Touching" automated car-wash start chiming in 🥵 🥵 . All the posts so far makes me feel terrible about taking mine to automated Touchy carwash so far :(.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
102 Posts
It is about time people who take it "Touching" automated car-wash start chiming in 🥵 🥵 . All the posts so far makes me feel terrible about taking mine to automated Touchy carwash so far :(.
It’s your car man. Honestly in 10 years everyone’s car is going to be the same depreciation. I go to a touchless car wash every week. Call me a bad boy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know.. but peer pressure here is just way too much bare :( .
I have taken every car I’ve ever owned through car washes, touch less and touchy. Some people enjoy washing their cars by hand. I do too, maybe once a year in the spring when the weather is perfect. The rest of the year I drive through the car wash, get the underbody spray, and vacuum it out. Old beat up Tundras, fancy Audis, this Sienna. I’ve never had an issue with reselling the vehicles, because for 95% if used cars, the previous owner never cleaned it at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! We'll likely do some of each, and will need to rely on automatic washes in the winter months. We hand washed this morning, and Ruby CruiseDay is looking so nice.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
511 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! We'll likely do some of each, and will need to rely on automatic washes in the winter months. We hand washed this morning, and Ruby CruiseDay is looking so nice.
I am pretty sure Ruby Red or Cypress Green would turn a lot of heads when just washed. They look great regardless, but car wash clean is just amazing on these colors. I would have picked one of them if I wasn't so careless about car washs for months at a time.

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE "Clifford the Big Red Van"
50 Posts
Ruby is a 40K item, with more computers and processing power than the space shuttle, and anyone wonders if it should be washed by hand or by 800 horsepower machines with gritty cloth paddles dunked in salty recycled water? Ruby deserves better, like gently laved with puffs of pure cotton and virgin olive oil soap, followed by a warm Caribbean breeze to dry, coated with the hardest ceramic finish, and polished by fairy wings.

Or just wait till it rains.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anyone have a good tool for underbody wash at home?
I just use my pressure washer, kneel low to the ground, then spray slightly upward toward the underbody from all four sides.

If you want to get fancy (for cleaning both the main body and the underbody) consider getting a foam cannon. They’re seriously cool and work well especially when using a quality wash soap like the chemical guys honeydew stuff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I never doubt going to a "touch" car wash. If you drive a Sienna, you probably have kids. If you have kids, you probably don't have much time. Let's be honest, the Sienna is HUGE and there's a lot of real estate to cover if you're handwashing. My kids won't be old enough to responsibly hand wash a car for a long time... and highly likely that they try to scrub it with some sandpaper. My alternative to a machine washing it is not washing it... so it's better that I take it to a machine and get all the bird poop and tree sap off it before that ruins the finish.

Machine washers, stand tall and stand proud.

·
Premium Member
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
129 Posts
Don't feel bad, that is why I bought silver color so I do not have to chose either. ;)
I have also heard that a layer of dirt on the car protects the finish :)

I never doubt going to a "touch" car wash. If you drive a Sienna, you probably have kids. If you have kids, you probably don't have much time. Let's be honest, the Sienna is HUGE and there's a lot of real estate to cover if you're handwashing. My kids won't be old enough to responsibly hand wash a car for a long time... and highly likely that they try to scrub it with some sandpaper. My alternative to a machine washing it is not washing it... so it's better that I take it to a machine and get all the bird poop and tree sap off it before that ruins the finish.

Machine washers, stand tall and stand proud.
I think the virtues of hand-washing the car may have been somewhat overrated. Regardless of how soft a cloth and how gentle a touch you may have, the abrasive particles in the dirt will end up grinding against the finish. To me, a no-touch automatic wash with a good pre-soak and protective wax in the end does seem to be the lesser of evils.

Also, there is a theory that if you allow small droplets of water to bead on the car surface, they may act as miniature magnifying glasses, causing the sunlight to focus on certain spots and potentially accelerating the UV damage to the paint and finish. Perhaps another reason to use the automatic car wash, to get the car air-dried fast.

Reactions: MCCFan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Don't feel bad, that is why I bought silver color so I do not have to chose either. ;)
Celestial silver was my first choice, and ruby flare pearl was my husband's. Both are great colors. It really came down to what LE AWD Siennas were available in our area at the time we were ready to purchase. We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this year, and it is the "ruby" anniversary. So it fits right in. And we look forward to many road trips in Ruby CruiseDay to celebrate. 🙂

1 - 20 of 48 Posts