Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a couple door check replacements, one for the driver side, and one for the passenger side. The passenger is still okay, but I thought it would be good to have the replacement on hand when it does break.

In the meantime, just to prevent the horrible noise the driver door makes when opening, I was just going to disconnect it.

When I looked in there, it's apparent why the noise was so loud. The previous owner must have neglected it so long that the mount was literally removed from the door itself.

It looks like a whole new door may be required to reinstall the door check. However, that sounds like a lot of work.

I detached the two nuts and bolt, hoping to just remove the check. I almost got it out when it fell into the bottom of the door lol.

Has anyone just installed/drilled a door strap?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great video, thank you! After I posted, I realized this is very common on the 2nd generation Sienna's. From what I understand, it was a recall at one point but that has since you expired.

It appears the repair above is if the cup has broken loose only on one side, in this case the bottom. The entire cup on my Sienna has broken free completely, all sides. I can almost pull it out the opening.

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
479 Posts
Had that happen on my '05 last year. At first, it was just the noise, then it broke free enough to hang into the window track. Had to open the door, then lower the window, if I wanted the window more than half-way down. Made it interesting pulling up to the fast-food drive-through ordering box in the wintertime. When my wife saw what I was doing, she said "its time for a new van". A few weeks later, we had an '18 XLE AWD sitting in the driveway. (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had that happen on my '05 last year. At first, it was just the noise, then it broke free enough to hang into the window track. Had to open the door, then lower the window, if I wanted the window more than half-way down. Made it interesting pulling up to the fast-food drive-through ordering box in the wintertime. When my wife saw what I was doing, she said "its time for a new van". A few weeks later, we had an '18 XLE AWD sitting in the driveway. (y)

Wow! I'm thankful mine hasn't obstructed my window. I'll just leave it disconnected since the whole cup is free and repair looks to be near impossible in current condition. I will just have to keep extra control of the door when opening and closing.

·
Registered
2004 Sienna LE FWD
21 Posts
Go to a welder and get it welded. They may have to add a little reinforcing on the back. I had mine welded about eight years ago and all has been fine. We took the door off at the shop, laid it on a work surface, welded it, ground down the weld a bit, and some spray paint. It's been just fine. There are some weld splatters to the top and right of the nut so you can see where the break was and didn't try to grind down. Good luck.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
903 Posts
An alternative to taking the door off and having it welded (or spending $40,000 for a new van :oops:) might be to screw a short length of stout nylon webbing to the door post and the door. Yeah, it wouldn't hold the door open but it would keep it from swinging too far and damaging the door and/or the body.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both are good options, the welding and nylon. Thanks! My dad has an old welding unit that works, but may be involved for what it's worth in the end. I might just end up doing that.

In the meantime, the nylon strap idea sounds right up my alley. With the Sub-Zero temps here and no access to a heated garage, it's best to wait until spring for a proper fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I executed a fix. Not sure how permanent it will be and I may install a stronger strap, but it will keep the door from being torn off at least. I did shorten it after the photo.

I drilled into the lower weld of the door check cup mount.
Fixture Vehicle door Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
52 Posts
This has not happened on our sienna but it happened to our last car. The whole area around the mounting plate oil canned which weakened a large part of the door, so there was no way to get enough reinforcement welded in to restore it. I ended up gertting a door at the junk yard and having it painted to match car. I did the work myself so it ended up costing a few hundred bucks for the door and paint shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts