Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to replace driver’s side axle , I have removed the nut and disconnected from strut but the axle will not come out of the hub. I’ve tried hitting on it with a hammer but no luck. It appears to be frozen. Any suggestions or ideas on how to get it loose. Now after putting it back together until I can figure out how to get it out I’m getting a p0717 code. Okay any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE
22 Posts

Loosen the axle nut, set it flush with the stub of the axle, then absolutely wail on it with a heavy hammer. That's just how you do it. It'll come out at some point.

Reactions: Roader

·
Registered
'04 XLE-L 2WD
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
tons of youtube help on this....My ones came off easy with prybar....one or 2 of them......you could use slide bearing puller...they rent those out at autozone or oreillys.... its not that hard.....there is no secret method....its almost same for all brand cars...just yank, pry or punch it out.....Youtube is the best resource help.

I did mine 2 times...on its second one now....from autozone one...lifetime warranty.... first oem lasted ....first oem lasted 70-80k I think...new autozone one lasted 60-80k miles....now on its current third one.... oem boot ripped off.....the autozone one inside bearing noise and clicking...... I posted ones I replaced with pics...it wasn't that hard... came off kind of easy with prybar....... Passenger side is a PITA....that's one will make you want to strangle the toyota engineers.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The P0717 concerns me. Hopefully, you didn't damage something trying to push the axle back out of the hub. I live in the rustiest of rust areas and mine came out with little effort. Although, any minor rust bonds would have been broken from using an impact tool to remove the axle nut. My axles just pushed back out of the splined shaft without issue. If it's really seized up there, you might have to disconnect the entire knuckle assembly to remove it from the shaft if you can get the shaft out of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reconn the hub assy back on the strut, then whack it like others have said. Having the hub disconnected from the strut is prolly why you can't get it out, the whole hub is absorbing the impact instead of just the axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts