Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate suggestions for a decent 2" hitch adapter. I need to use the upper mount for a bike rack (1 -1/4") while also allowing trailer towing. Has anyone had any experience with one of these? Amazon has a large selection, most with mixed reviews. Thanks!
1594736067834.png

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Remember that due to the cantilever principle, any extension that pushes the ball mount further out also impacts the effective tongue weight. Whatever you add to the extension you should try and subtract from the hitch ball mount stinger length. You'll note that in your picture the stinger is ultra-short.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bring up a good point, that is to consider the decreased tongue weight due to a longer lever arm.
I may also use it to support a cargo platform at some point.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You bring up a good point, that is to consider the decreased tongue weight due to a longer lever arm.
I may also use it to support a cargo platform at some point.
Actually, a longer receiver/drawbar will increase the load on the receiver and rear axle, not decrease it. This is why many hitch extenders specify a reduction in trailer tongue weight and overall towing capacity.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff2

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, of course you are correct and pardon my poor grammar. I meant to say "decreased tongue weight rating".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have the CURT one. 3500LB tow and 350lbs TW.
I use the upper mount to haul my dirtbike. I am getting close to the TW with just my bike. (276lbs) plus the carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess the ones that have a single post are strong enough if it can carry a dirt bike.
One brand on Amazon has a dual post that looks very sturdy, but it is longer.
My bikes and bike carrier don't wight more then 75 pounds.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I can see how one of these twin receiver adapters could be used on a pickup truck or SUV that uses a draw bar with a zero rise/drop or on a draw bar that has a "drop" but I don't see how it could work on a Sienna which has its receiver much closer to the ground necessitating the use of a draw bar with a significant rise.

My Curt hitch doesn't ride any further below my Sienna's bumper cover than other hitch including the ones that have the cross tube/bar behind the bumper cover. In order to keep a trailer tongue level, I have to use a draw bar with a 3 1/2 inch rise. This large amount of rise would mean that I could not plug my Pro-Series bike rack into the upper receiver of the twin receiver adapter while my trailer is attached to the lower receiver of the twin receiver adapter. The upper receiver would be blocked by my trailer tongue.

Disregard the title of the attached photo - it was original posted to show something else - but it shows how dramatic the draw bar rise is.

Drawbar - distance from ball center to bumper cover is 4 inches.jpg

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
OK, I see that etrailer has twin receiver adapters that have far more distance between the upper and lower receiver openings. One of those would probably work on a Sienna. The one shown in post #1 would not work - at least not on my Sienna.

Edit: Of the ones that etrailer has, one from Malone shown in the attached image looks like it would work best on my Sienna. 7 1/2 inches between the upper and lower receiver opening centers should be enough.

Malone twin receiver adapter.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts