Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Dynamic cruise retrofit

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Shane5099 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 limited, however it doesn't have the convenience package that would give it the auto wipers and dynamic cruise control.

Is there a way to retro fit the sensors, ecu, and controls to make this happen for either the wipers, cruise, or both? Has anyone done this?

Thanks

#2 ·
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) and Pre-Collision System (PCS) which came in the same Advanced Technology Package are my favorite features. We have them on our Prius and would not have bought a Sienna without them.

There are a lot of parts in the systems you want to add. Wire harnesses, different wiper stalk, rain sensor on the windshield, following distance choice button on the steering wheel, following distance display in the instrument cluster and the $1,000+ radar sensor in the grill which requires calibration/alignment by a dealer. (Installation of a similar replacement radar sensor on our 2012 Prius was nearly $2,000 after my wife gently "tapped" the spare wheel on the back of a Jeep with the nose of the Prius.)

DRCC shares components with the Pre-Collision System (PCS) which was/still is part of the Advanced Technology Package. I don't think it was ever possible to get DRCC without PCS. There is a PCS on/off button under the dash, a PCS indicator light in the instrument cluster and probably many other components I don't know about. There are significant safety considerations with DRCC and PCS. I was using DRCC last year when a slower moving car swerved into my lane; PCS automatically slammed on my brakes with full force and tightened my seat belt so much that my chest hurt for hours. Personally, I wouldn't want to muck with a system that can do that.

#3 ·
I hate to say it, if it was not possible for Toyota field engineer to add it on after the van is build, I highly doubt you can retrofit this. I tried, when I ordered my van, I asked for Advance Tech package too when the van arrives, it wasn't there but nav and premium entertainment are and they offer it to me so low my wife told me to take the deal. I tried to get AT back on the van, spoke with service manager whom is now a friend of mine and spoke with a couple of Toyota field engineers, all of them said it couldn't be done, it's not like adding a couple of circuit board, laser and few other parts, flash ECU and be done. It's actually a lot more complex than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.