Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 limited. When i try to activate the cruise I get a beep and error code E3, and no activation. This was intially intermittent, now constant. Any ideas on quick fixes?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Hi luka,
I don't remember if we got e3 or e2 went it rains or the sender/receiver gets dirty.
Have you cleaned the laser part in your bumper? I am sure someelse will chime in to help also.
Colin

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Check here http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3615.msg26272#msg26272 for the simple list. The owner's manual has this.

If “E1” appears on the display, the system cannot easily measure the vehicle-to-vehicle distance because of a dirty laser radar sensor glass while the dynamic laser cruise control is on. If this code appears, clean the sensor glass with a soft cloth and try setting the preset speed again. If the dirt is removed without cleaning, the system will automatically enter the ready mode. If the system does not enter the ready mode even after cleaning or the code remains on the display, the system might be malfunctioning. Although there is no problem to continue driving, please contact your Toyota dealer.

If “E2” appears on the display, the system cannot easily measure the vehicle-to-vehicle distance because of the following conditions:
- The wipers are operating at high or low speeds
- Direct sunlight from the front
- It is difficult to make a measurement because of bad weather (such as rainy, foggy, or snowy weather)

If “E3” appears on the display, a system malfunction has been detected. If this code appears, stop your vehicle in a safe place, turn the ignition off, and then restart it to reset the system. If the setting still cannot be made or the same code appears again, the system might have malfunctioned. Although there is no problem to continue driving, contact your Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Sienna and the same thing happened. I tried cleaning the lens but it did not work and was told by the dealer that there was nothing that could be done and thelaser had to be replace for $$$$. Definitely not worth it. The also said you cold not override the laser . . . WRONG. You can override the laser function and use cruise control the old fashioned way without the automatic distance and breaking control. To do so, start the car and put it in drive with the break fully applied. Activate the cruise control. As long as you are not moving the error sign should not appear and the CC should activate and the word "cruise" should light up on the dash. Now push the stick with the cruise control functions forward, toward the dash board and hold until the word "cruise" changes to "normal". Now you have basic cruise control without the laser/distance functionality. You will have to repeat this every time you turn the car or the cruise control off. The key is to be in gear but not moving when you initially turn on the CC, otherwise the E symbol will appear immediately. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi thanks for all this information is really helpful I have the same problem with my 08 toyota sienna the code error E3 apers and the normal cruise works fine I don't know if is worth it to replace the laser any one knows what that will cost $$$$.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GGSTICK - I love you!

I don't know you, but I know that I love you.

We we had our laser module replaced (ICBC) but it stopped working again a few months later. We really didn't care about the adaptive cruise control, but wanted some sort of cruise. But we weren't willing to shell out, and I don't think that it is fair for the insurance company to pay for a Toyota design flaw (mounting a laser sensor there? really?). So we have been just suffering in silence (talk about a first-world problem, eh?)

I rejoined (was part of sienna club) to get instructions for reprogramming the remotes, and just decided to check on the cruise. Oh happy days!

And in case anyone cares, 40 psi is the way to go for tire pressure...

Take care everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts