Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 08 LE 2 1/2 years ago. Put 15K miles on it, and just broke 100K miles. I've noticed lately, not so much heard, but felt when I applied the brakes kind of a grinding? rubbing? in the front brakes. So I bought new pads and rotors for the front and new pads for the back. Total cost was 190.00... A couple weeks ago, I took my van in for the spare tire recall. Just for laughs, I asked the guy how much for new pads in the front, he quoted "about 320.00". So today my neighbor , a retired mechanic/auto body tech, taught me how to do the job myself. It took 1 1/2 hours for the front rotors and pads, and rear pads. And probably 30 minutes of that was me asking every question I could think of to understand exactly what I was doing. I looked up how much in my state for these things, and it was estimated 500.00-650.00... The only thing I don't have is an air gun, but I could get around that!! I threw my neighbor a hundred dollar bill for his patience teaching me.... Anybody hesitant about doing your own brakes? Don't be! Piece of cake... I got the courage from reading other posts here about doing your own brakes!!! Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alot of us don't have an air gun but we have an impact driver. Get a drive adaptor and that'll work. That's what I use. Loosen lug nuts first.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I also don't have an air compressor but I have battery powered impact drivers. It's a great feeling when you do things yourself and save money at the same time!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I did the same for one of my cars many years ago except that I read the instructions in one of those Haynes manuals.
It took me a while but I learnt so much along the way.
My initial fear was that if I did something wrong, my car wouldn't stop but it's designed in a way to not mess up.
No air compressors or impact drivers but I have a torque wrench along with other tools.

I generally like to do stuff myself whether it's mechanical or electrical.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats! I was in the same situation a few years ago and have accumulated tools along the way, justifying the purchase with the money I saved from doing the work myself. I do have an impact wrench but it is battery powered Dewalt, what pneumatic I have is an air hammer, great at removing ball joints, wheel bearing and hubs.

Also, Youtube and forums like this are great source of information.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just did the 3rd gen brake conversion last night-
Stopping power is awesome!
Was my first brake job of any kind - I’m sure the amount of time spent watching instructionals was more than if I had taken it somewhere but it was very rewarding to complete.
Those caliper mounting bolts are tough to get off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts