Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest reservation with the newest gen is the V4 engine. How can such a small engine capably haul around 7-8 passengers+weight of the vehicle??? Are there any 4th gen owners coming from the older gen V6? I know it’s highly subjective but what is your impressions between the two engines? Is the power loss noticeable? Has anyone carried a full load and driven on mountain roads?

I can’t find a single 4th gen on any dealer lots to test drive so I’m having to resort to forum feedback. Thank you!

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
797 Posts
Short answer is that it has all the power it should have, plus a ted bit more. The droning sound is unmistakably there during few times you may have to push it hard.

Speaking from my experience, we recently did cost-to-cost trip between DC, Seattle and Las Vegas Triangle going thru many parks. I never felt it was out of power, except once going thru Vail pass. Even than, I was one of the fastest going 5-10+ the posted speed limit.

What is your intended use? If you expect to drive fully loaded more than 20-30% of the time, than that's a different story. This can handle casual full loads relatively well.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
From personal experience: we have never driven both in the mountains and with 8 ppl. on board.

Our dear Appalachian mountains are not the Rockies, but 7 to 10% grades over a couple of miles are common on the non-interstate routes. I think the highest number of people we had while driving over the Blue Ridge was four, plus a couple of hundreds of pounds of gear in the back. It was fine.

Once we climbed all the way to the Spruce Knob and did a lot of driving in the mountainous Monongahela National Forest; the only noticeable loss of performance was the 36 mpg vs. the usual 40+ in the summer.

The van does not feel underpowered. The engine is "small" in terms of displacement, but it does push out 190HP.

I never had a V6 Sienna, however, in the past 10 years I have driven a few V6's, most recently an F-150 and a CX-9. What can I say - 270-300HP is sure nicer, but 190HP is quite enough.

You will probably like Sienna's acceleration as well, when the electric motor(s) and the ICE combine their outputs to 240+ HP. Actually, CR says the Gen 4 Sienna beats the last gen. Odyssey, which is V6 and is close to 300HP, by a few milliseconds in the 0-60 race.

Reactions: pamhar

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Plenty - yet when you look at the weight of the vehicle with load and passengers, You would think..,, it’s not enough
Especially if you want to plow 20" snow, going up on a 30° slope, with two industrial size refrigerators strapped to the roof rack, while towing a 30-ft camper 😵

Reactions: kfp11

·
Registered
59 Posts
Keep in mind that the Sienna was offered for one year (2010) with a 2.7L four cylinder, minus the fancy hybrid wizardry to assist with propulsion. This engine was rated for 187 HP.
Heck, even the regular wheelbase Chrysler vans had 4 cylinder or upgrade to about 180 hp V6.

These were 4,000 lbs vehicles vs 4,600 lbs for 245 hp Sienna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m a former Sienna V-6 owner (2005) and I can say that “little” I4 in my 2021 is impressive. We had 6 full grown adults (all but 1 was between 180 and 240 lbs) climb 2,700 elevation in mixed freeway and highway roads with absolutely no issues. Cruise control held the speed to within 1 MPH. Regular in town driving in stop and go traffic with same people was a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
98 Posts
My biggest reservation with the newest gen is the V4 engine. How can such a small engine capably haul around 7-8 passengers+weight of the vehicle??? Are there any 4th gen owners coming from the older gen V6? I know it’s highly subjective but what is your impressions between the two engines? Is the power loss noticeable? Has anyone carried a full load and driven on mountain roads?

I can’t find a single 4th gen on any dealer lots to test drive so I’m having to resort to forum feedback. Thank you!
We now have 20,000 miles on our 2021 FWD Limited. Our previous Sienna was a 2011 3.5L V6 FWD XLE. We have driven the 2021 on a Colorado Rockies vacation, and on a North Carolina Appalachian vacation. With four people and a full luggage compartment, the 2021 has plenty of power to scale mountain roads. You will hear a little more engine noise under heavy acceleration (like interstate on-ramps), but under most driving conditions it is very smooth and quiet. You will appreciate the smoothness of the shiftless eCVT transmission. Keep in mind that it is not just the 4 cylinder engine horsepower pulling you up grades. The traction motor is always supplementing the engine power on even the slightest upward grades. I will also mention another nice mountain feature of the hybrid drivetrain is that the generator and hybrid computer do a good job of holding speed constant on the downhill side without having to fiddle with downshifting. If you cannot find a Sienna on a lot to test drive, you might drive a newer Highlander Hybrid. Since it has the same drive train, that will give you a feel for how the Sienna will drive.

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
149 Posts
I currently own V6 Sienna with an almost 300HP engine. I had exactly the same concern

During the test drive of the 4th gen (aside from the sound of the ICE) I felt no need for a higher power. It runs just fine. Especially that right in the city, where an electric motor gives you much more torque right from the start.

Curious to see how that works on the highway tho. I drove it there for a bit, but I'm in a position to comment on that.

But the most important thing is: keep in mind that Sienna is a family van, not a racing car on the track. It has a different purpose - to carry the family safely rather than crazy.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I pulled this from Birmingham to Norfolk through east Tennessee and Virginia. Cruse control set 65-75. Speed never changed from setting ,up hill or down hill. MPG did drop from my normal 32 down to 13 MPGs. Trailer weights 2600 lbs. Without the trailer my 21 Sienna is a hot rod, it will hit 100 mph like it's nothing.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I pulled this from Birmingham to Norfolk through east Tennessee and Virginia. Cruse control set 65-75. Speed never changed from setting ,up hill or down hill. MPG did drop from my normal 32 down to 13 MPGs. Trailer weights 2600 lbs. Without the trailer my 21 Sienna is a hot rod, it will hit 100 mph like it's nothing. View attachment 53548

Out of interest, what kind of hitch do you have, and who installed it? The reason I am asking that I bought an e-Trailer Curtiss hitch for the "2021 Sienna" that doesn't look like it's going to fit nicely, and the Toyota dealership told me they would not be interested in installing it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The van does not feel underpowered. The engine is "small" in terms of displacement, but it does push out 190HP.
I agree. The 190Hp for Gen 4 engine is not far off from the 215hp for Gen 2 (which I currently drive), which I find to be adequate. Not sure how peppy the van will be if fully loaded with 7-8 people and cargo, I imagine it may struggle a bit especially once the power from the electric motors is depleted. The only thing that needs getting used to is the drone noises from the electric motors (putting on music can help drown this out), albeit, I hope in the mid-cycle refresh (likely MY2024) Toyota squeezes in some insulating material under the floor panel and underneath the hood to cut out some of the CVT sound. It seems the Highlander hybrid is a tad quieter due to more insulation in the engine bay.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I agree. The 190Hp for Gen 4 engine is not far off from the 215hp for Gen 2 (which I currently drive), which I find to be adequate. Not sure how peppy the van will be if fully loaded with 7-8 people and cargo, I imagine it may struggle a bit especially once the power from the electric motors is depleted. The only thing that needs getting used to is the drone noises from the electric motors (putting on music can help drown this out), albeit, I hope in the mid-cycle refresh (likely MY2024) Toyota squeezes in some insulating material under the floor panel and underneath the hood to cut out some of the CVT sound. It seems the Highlander hybrid is a tad quieter due to more insulation in the engine bay.
I got used to the drone noise while driving my beloved Prius, which had 30 lbs. to each horsepower, this way the hybrid Sienna with its 25 lbs./hp is not a problem.

Mr. Sparkollz recently find itself climbing a very steep gravel + dirt track in Appalachia, the moutaintop section of the Crooked Run road, and it felt super-competent. I think the AWD helped a lot, too. I posted some pix somehwere else on this forum, but forgot where they are.
Map Geological phenomenon Terrestrial plant Screenshot Grass

Reactions: pamhar

·
Registered
101 Posts
Coming from owning 2 GEN 3 and 2 Gen 4.

The hybrid drivetrain is vastly under powered and not refined especially under full capacity andbill climbing.

We usually have to haul 2 kids, 5 adults down to LA. The 11 and 17 was good when climbing the grapevine into LA.

But both 21 (XLE and Platinum) has to grind harder. It reminded me of the 04 3.3V6.

If you are planning to haul full load. I will probably recommend Carnival over Sienna.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Coming from owning 2 GEN 3 and 2 Gen 4.

The hybrid drivetrain is vastly under powered and not refined especially under full capacity andbill climbing.

We usually have to haul 2 kids, 5 adults down to LA. The 11 and 17 was good when climbing the grapevine into LA.

Have you tried slowing down to below 100 mph? 🐢🐢🐢🐢

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just returned from a 1000 mile trip over Thanksgiving (fully loaded with 5 people, tons of stuff, and 4 bikes on a heavy-duty 1 Up USA hitch rack). The Sienna was amazing and had plenty of power up the Grapevine in both directions at 70+ and returned great mileage even with the load and extra wind resistance of the bikes and rack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts