Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Engine Knocking

44K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  epi 
#1 ·
I have a 07 LE and my engine knocks when it is cold. I noticed that when my engine is cold, I hear a faint engine knocking/pinging. It goes away when the engine is warm. Anybody know what this could be? I want to address it now since mine is under warrenty.

#53 ·
If you google "toyota 3.5l v6 engine knock", you'll find that there have been knocking complaints about the 3.5L
The original poster compared different engines 2006 vs 2007 ie 3.3L vs 3.5L
The 3.3L is known to be quieter. Mine is very quiet. The only knocking I've heard is when the car was fully loaded and I was slowly edging up a slope. I've ignored it since.

Here are a few links:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions...ienna-le-engine-type-2gr-3-5l-dohc-v6-w-vvt-1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1751815

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd rather live with a knocking sound than have a dealer try other things which may lead to worse issues.

#55 ·
Lexus LS V8 did the same thing.

An engine contains so many moving parts and it's hard to ask for no sound. I checked out many Lexus, Toyota for the last few months and you know, most of them has that "knocking", "ticking"? noise

However, very loud knocking can be a problem, those who has trouble, can you do a youtube video so we can all check it out? I found a lot of useful info from youtube, just type engine knocking you can compare to other cars I guess

#57 ·
An update on my knocking/clicking/ticking....

I used to hear the noise only in the winter after cold startups. Then I started noticing it in the spring and fall. Now I hear it in the middle of a NJ summer until the engine warms up completely. Is it getting worse, or am I just more "tuned-in" to the sound?

I think I'm driving the wife crazy over this. She has the solution.... just turn up the radio till you can't hear it.

#58 ·
Hmmm. Did anyone recently take note of the Lexus recall involving 3.5 and 4 something liter engines from years 2006-08. They were recalled for possible stalling and engine noise related to bad valve springs. Would this noise be similar and not as uniform as what we experiencing? It seems like a plausible cause for our 2008 Sienna 3.5 liter ticking?? A softer spring or springs would cause larger tolerances resulting in more noise??? Any input?

#59 ·
Bill J said:
An update on my knocking/clicking/ticking....

I used to hear the noise only in the winter after cold startups. Then I started noticing it in the spring and fall. Now I hear it in the middle of a NJ summer until the engine warms up completely. Is it getting worse, or am I just more "tuned-in" to the sound?

I think I'm driving the wife crazy over this. She has the solution.... just turn up the radio till you can't hear it.
I'm gonna go off the path and think on this one. What viscosity of motor oil do they use where you get your oil changed? Toyota recommends 5W30, but I've taken my other Toyotas to other Toyota dealerships and they use 10W30. Here in S. Calif., it would be ok since our temp. don't get into the freezing cold like it does in NJ. Maybe they switch back and forth depending on the season?

I read your previous posts about it knocking when cold, but goes away when warmed up. Could possibly your lifters were not getting oil if using 10W30 oil instead of 5W30? Once it warms up, the oil flows better and then gets up into the lifters?

This is just a theory, so don't panic.

#60 ·
Regarding Lexus recall.....I don't know the details of the Lexus recall, but I guess its worth a look.

Regarding hydraulic lifters..... The dealer has been using 5W30 since the first oil change. However, I've been suspicious of a bad hydraulic lifter (or two) also. When I first heard the noise, I asked the Toyota Service manager about lifters and and he just told me ... "no way". But it won't be the first time a service manager lead me astray. Is there any way I can determine if its really lifter noise??

#61 ·
I got tired of waiting for colder weather. I needed an oil change anyway, so I left it overnite and went for a cold start test drive with the tech.

Big surprise.... the tech heard the noise immediately and volunteered that some Siennas have Piston Slap. That's a first for my stealership. Until today they were either deaf or scoffed at piston slap. I think the word is finally getting out.

The tech was very helpful. He gave me a sample of my old oil and suggested I get an oil analysis before my next visit. He also told me to discuss my concerns with the Service Manager and schedule an appointment with the area factory rep this winter. The noise is definitely more pronounced and lasts longer in colder weather.

I'll keep you posted.

#62 ·
Here's something odd to think about it..... Since my oil change the "piston slap" sounds louder till the engine warms up. Based on posts below, I expected the new, thick 5W30 dino oil would "cushion" the pistons more than my old, thinned-out 5W30 with 4K miles on it.

The last time I got the oil changed I'm sure the piston slap was a little quieter. Why not quieter this time?

#63 ·
My van was in for tranny replacement (don't ask) at 22K miles last week and a funny thing happened. I mentioned my piston slap issue to the service manager and it appears that somebody (aka Toyota) told the dealerships to stop using the words "piston slap". We talked for at least 15 minutes and he carefully avoided putting a name on the "noise". I kept trying to explain that my once cold weather noise is now a year round problem. Yesterday I got a follow-up phone call from him stating that Toyota is aware of the cold startup "noise" and says its absolutely normal and is not causing any internal damage. Now I feel so much better. Yeah...Right.

Meanwhile I was doing some further research regarding my Aug oil sample analysis (attached). Everything looked good except for a very high moly reading (160 ppm). Everyone tells me that moly is an oil additive, but I found info online that the Lexus 2GR-FSE uses moly coated pistons to reduce friction. I'm still trying to determine if the Toyota 2GR-FE uses moly coated pistons also. I've also asked the dealer to identify the brand of oil he used at my last oil change before the sample was taken. I'm trying to determine if my high moly levels are really just an additive or actual wear material from the piston skirts.

Attachments

#64 ·
My wifes 2008 has the engine knock also. It is annoying, especially since I drive a 2003 CRV and sometimes a 1992 toyota truck and you can barely hear the engine. When I drive her van I just turn up the radio. The knocking does seem to lessen as the van warms up.

Also, has anyone noticed the van's rpm's race upward at times especially on low speeds. It is not like the acceleration issue we hear about, just noticeable and bit annoying.

Otherwise the van's ride comfort is excellent and very smooth on the interstate.

#65 ·
Bill J
Molly IS a oil additive, some brands have a LOT, some don't.
What brand of oil was used?
Since Blackstone did not flag it as an issue, I am thinking that they viewed it as being a oil additive.
However, be aware that the Molly level will likely be different between different oil brands.

#66 ·
Moly coatings are also used as a friction reducing coating on some pistons. That's why I've asked my dealer to identify the brand of oil he used for my oil change prior to my sample analysis. I'm trying to determine if it came from the engine or its just an oil additive.

#67 ·
Like I told you before Bill, if moly was coming off of the pistons and/or rings, all of the other oil analysis results would be WAY out of whack.
Besides, the moly coating/plating used on piston rings (and/or any other moving parts in an engine) is combined with chromium so you would also see high level of chromium and iron listed in the analysis results and Blackstone certainly would have given you a red flag on this.

#68 ·
FWIW, my '02 Sienna developed a loudish, annoying top end rattle at about 75K miles. It would last about 45 seconds then go away as the engine warmed.

It was assessed as normal by the Toyota dealer.

At 83K miles the timing belt was changed and the problem went away. Now at 96K miles the engine is still as quiet as it was when new.

I speculate that my timing belt wore prematurely (despite oil and filter changes every 3000 mi).

Gary

#69 ·
GMul said:
FWIW, my '02 Sienna developed a loudish, annoying top end rattle at about 75K miles. It would last about 45 seconds then go away as the engine warmed.

At 83K miles the timing belt was changed and the problem went away. Now at 96K miles the engine is still as quiet as it was when new.

I speculate that my timing belt wore prematurely (despite oil and filter changes every 3000 mi).

Gary
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, weren't the recommended timing belt replacement intervals 60k miles in 2002? Regardless, even at the 90k mile recommended change interval on the later models, I would hardly call 75k miles premature given the time frame involved. Belts age and wear out with time as much as they do with miles.

#70 ·
wag said:
GMul said:

Gary
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, weren't the recommended timing belt replacement intervals 60k miles in 2002? Regardless, even at the 90k mile recommended change interval on the later models, I would hardly call 75k miles premature especially given the time frame involved. Belts age with time as well as miles.
My owner's manual states: "All V6 an V8 powered vehicles - Replace timing belt every 72months/144,000 km". This works out to 90,000 miles. The Toyota 2002 Maintenance Menu states the same time/mileage.

I fully agree with what you are saying. Indeed, my post was to suggest, based on the sounds described, the possibility some of the folks on this thread could be experiencing timing belt problems.

Gary

#71 ·
Although you had not reached the 90K mile interval, I have to assume that you were past the 72 month interval and your timing belt actually needed to be replaced.
The 3.5L GR series V/6 engine that Bill J and others are talking about does not have a timing belt, it has an internally lubricated timing chain which does not need replacement as part of it's normal maintenance.

#72 ·
wag said:
Although you had not reached the 90K mile interval, I have to assume that you were past the 72 month interval and your timing belt actually needed to be replaced.
The 3.5L GR series V/6 engine that Bill J and others are talking about does not have a timing belt, it has an internally lubricated timing chain which does not need replacement as part of it's normal maintenance.
Thanks for the info.
Gary

#74 ·
Good news.... My service manager contacted Toyota about the long list of problems I 've had and they offered a 8 year/125K mile platinum warranty at no cost. My confidence that Toyota will eventually do the right thing has been restored.

#75 ·
WOW! Bill... Toyota comes through again! Ohhhhh yeeeaaaaaa....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.