Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2021 Toyota Sienna XSE. I use the car to pick up/drop off my kids and to/from work. No damage never got into an accidents. Engine light came on 1/15 I was schedule for a 20k miles maintenance on 1/20 so I brought my car in to let them know to check to see what’s wrong while they do the oil change. An hour later maintenance/advisor said everything is good they turned the engine light off for me. The next day on 1/21 the engine light came back on also asking me to close gas cap. I closed gas cap but engine light still on. Also the gas cap only made 1 click and not the usual 3 clicks. I took it in today 1/24 to have them check in it again. They said they have to charge me $165 for a diagnostic test and basically it’s to pay the technician to run the test. He said if it’s not covered under warranty I will need to pay on top as well. I waited for 2 hours they said the car needs to stay at the dealership. They don’t know what’s wrong and need to reach out to Toyota. As the engine light keeps turning back on. They offered to order me a Lyft/Uber home or I can rent a car for $45 a day but they do not know what’s wrong with the car or how long it will take. Please advise am
I responsible for all these payments or should they be under warranty.

· Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
890 Posts
I agree. It's a 3 year/36k bumper-to-bumper warranty.
None of this should cost you any money.
Don't hesitate to question any charges. Call the Toyota toll-free number from the dealership itself or even go talk to the manager.

· Registered
104 Posts
If they can prove that its operator by you not tightening the gas cap, then I can see pushing you to pay for the labor. But if the cap is tight, this falls on warranty with either a defective cap if the code is showing that the EVAP system is open and not holding vacuum. That's an easy test with their laptop. 10 mins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts